Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Gate  (Read 2018 times)

MC Gate
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:30 am »
So I am working on a town layout for a harbor-themed area. In that town, I am trying to make a small part of town that is only for VIPs, so I want to make a guarded gateway to block the player from entering that area too early in the game. I keep trying, but it keeps on coming out crappy. Can somebody help me? The entrance should be facing north.

Here is a concept map. My main situation is that I can only make it if it was facing south. (Like the red area.) I need it to be the blue area with guards outside of it. Can someone show me or make one? Again, it should be in MC, it can be in any size.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: MC Gate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:59 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Heya Random,

You could probably just use some slightly modified castle town tiles from MC and a couple of guards without it looking bad.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »
In MC they had several mechanics to prevent the player from access.

1) Story related. After Vaati's initial attack on the castle and the release of the monsters, the Carpenters were blocking the player from entering Castle town again. After the first dungeon the Carpenters also force Link to go by South Hyrule Field again, instead of Lon Lon Ranch.

2) Moving blocking guards. Just like in MM the guards remain in front of the gate, but as Link approaches they keep in the direct line of Link and the gate.

3) Invisible pull back trigger. When Link crosses a certain line with the gate a person or something else calls Link back and the game takes over, walks Link back to a save distance and gives back control.

4) Natural obstacles. Link needs to acquire the necessary items first before he can pass those.

Then you can also make a gate like those in found in parking garages and privately owned properties. You know like the ones with a booth and a pole  :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:25:34 pm by Niek »
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »
Then you can also make a gate like those in found in parking garages and privately owned properties. You know like the ones with a booth and a pole  :P
That was actually exactly what I envisioned it as in my head, but then I switched to like, one of those gates in front of mansions with a guard that open and close it. Although some people in Zelda games (Termina) are advanced enough to do that, I don't think Hyrule would be able to create a gate such as that.

Sort of like this with guards:

The thing is, I can't create that so the front of the gate is to the back of the viewer. I wanted the gate as the mechanic because the town the player is in is built around an older town, which is protected by the gates. Like how Americans are not aloud on most Native Indian lands.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »
such gates were used in the graveyard section of Royal Valley. And those type of gates don't need a north facing ones, because you can look through them.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:50 pm »
Not really, the Royal Valley uses a stone arch rather than the gate pictured.

For me, the appearance of the other side is different because of the pixel quality. I tried a one-pixel silhouette, but it looked even worse.

UPDATE: Never mind, I just found this from Mother 3. I'll just modify them to match the art style.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 02:51:27 am by Person »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 46 queries.