Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: [ABANDONED - All data released] Spirit's Quest  (Read 50020 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit's Quest
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 10:21:26 am »
I have to ask, where did you get that music? It's awesome! (This game trumps all the games here)
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 12:36:06 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I have to ask, where did you get that music? It's awesome! ...

Which music? The music in the second video or in the first video?

The first music is not mine and I found it at http://modarchive.org. If you go there, make sure to browse by file name and look in the "Z" section (for Zelda). There are tons of Zelda musics; some good, some not so good. However, they are mods, which means you need a media player that can play them (I recommend VLC! It's amazing because it even lets you convert mods to MP3!).

The second one is my own music. I made it using Open MPT (Mod Plug Tracker) and with some 8-Bit wav samples. If you want that last one, I might put it up for download when I move this to the WIP section (if I do, the download will be in the starting post of this thread, since I plan to change that up lots when I make the move).
  • My Music

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »
I just love the music? (I was talking about the second vids)

You have my support and my help if you need it
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »
I need to get you some music :p
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 02:35:39 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I just love the music? (I was talking about the second vids)

You have my support and my help if you need it

Well, I'm glad you like my music. Though, I hope to make the official music even better than that one. Of course, with the help of Darklight, who has offered to help out in the area of music.

As for help and support. I'm going to have a "HOW YOU CAN HELP" section in the first post when I make the big move to WIP.

I need to get you some music :p

Go ahead and take your time. Though I am pretty anxious to see what you come up with. :P

UPDATE:

If anyone is wondering why it's taking me so long to move this to WIP, don't worry about it. Progress IS happening. I'm just getting together a lot of thoughts and working out a few details. You'll understand why the delay when I finally come with a real update. ;)
  • My Music
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 08:09:48 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I've been up to a lot lately, but unfortunately it's more behind the scenes stuff.
Btw, it looks like I'm going to need to make an index for the first post after I modify it. Have a look see:
SECTIONS INDEX:
- About
     - General
     - Story
     - Main Characters
     - Gameplay
- Videos and Screens
- Engine Progress
     - Demo Releases
     - Engine Tests
- Other Releases
- Want to Help? Here's How!
     - Please Read this First
     - Programming
     - Sprites
     - Tiles
     - Music
     - Sound Effects
     - Other Ways You Can Help
- Who's Responsible for This?
     - The Team
     - Credits

Other stuff I've been working on lately:

• I've been testing colors; making a new palette for Spirit's Quest. My current palette just isn't complete enough, and it's a little messy and confusing. Also, I noticed that some colors seem a little off.
    I'm dividing the new palette into 3 sections: The darkest colors are for background use, the middle colors are for tiles, and the lightest colors are for sprites. Sound good? Making a good palette is sort of new ground for me, so any help is appreciated.
  • I'm figuring out the next few steps I will need to take for making parts of the game's engine. The basic HUD and the physics all kind of come in at the same time in the basic platforming stuff. Anyway, there's just a lot to think about, so that's what I've been working on.
  • I'm scrapping the tree so I can make one from scratch. I'm making sure not to have anything other than my own graphics from now on.
  • And I'm doing various other things. Mostly a lot of brainstorming/planning.

There are a few of you that seem really eager to help, which is great! I've gotten a couple PMs and I just want to let you guys know that I am getting to the point where I will know what I need help with, but that time is not quite here yet.
     As you can see in the quoted sections index, I have an entire section for how you can contribute (under "Want to Help? Here's How!"). Just give me a little more time to get everything in order. I'm trying to set up slowly/thoughtfully for success rather rush in for failure (it'd be epic failure... but failure nonetheless).

It seems like I keep running out of time really fast (it's already past 1 AM here and I have to work at 5:30!) because of work and stuff. I'm looking forward to the weekend, because I get Sunday and Monday off, so I should get lots done then, but I just can't seem to get much done on this throughout the week. If there's no update before then, expect things to happen on Sunday/Monday! :D
  • My Music
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 01:42:43 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"

I've attached a gmk (Game Maker 8 file) of the View Engine Test.

If you download and run it, make sure to read the info (press F1 in game or view the info in Game Maker itself). It should explain why some things are the way they are. There shouldn't be any problems; I believe it to be solid and just the way I intended it to be.

Anyway, feel free to check out the code and let me know what you think. I know I'm not a professional programmer or anything, so I expect some of you may find things that could be coded better.

As far as the rest of the project goes, lots of stuff has been happening in the background, but I've mostly been stumped on getting together a good palette. I'm trying to keep it simple, yet I want to have good enough color range to have all my bases covered.

I'm trying to find information about making palettes and it's beginning to be quite frustrating because I'm not really finding anything and I'd really like to recolor Link (using the new palette that I don't have) before starting the Basic Platform and HUD Engine. It will save me a lot of time and trouble to complete a full palette sooner than later. If anyone has any tips or can point me to some great info on palette making, please help me out. This is totally new stuff to me.

AFTER A FEW FAILED ATTEMPTS, THIS IS MY NEW APPROACH:
In my attempt to choose colors that work well together, I'm pretty much just selecting a color and then I choose the shades of that color by ONLY changing the luma value:

I select a color at luma 120 (middle), then I end up with 5 lighter shades and 5 darker shades by selecting on every "20" mark (i.e. from darkest to lightest: 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 mid, 140, 160, 180, 200, 220). 0 is black and 240 is white, so I only include those in the b&w.

Is this method simplifying it too much? Any of you graphics experts able to help? :-\
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2010, 02:04:06 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Lumas are in Paint? I never knew!  :P

Wouldn't that be "luminosity?" Because that's what I always thought it was.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2010, 02:48:01 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh, right. I'm getting video mixed up with computer graphics. It pretty much means the same thing I guess. Luma is pretty much the same as luminosity, as far as I know...

Quote from: PC Magazine encyclopedia

Definition of: luma

The black/gray/white information in a video signal, represented as the letter "Y." Color information is transmitted as luma (brightness) and chroma (color). The luma is a weighted sum of the RGB colors. See luminance, YUV and YUV/RGB conversion formulas.

I believe you are correct though. I've just been hanging around my brother too much (he does video stuff as a profession).
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 05:46:11 am »
YOU HAVE A BROTHER? IS HE BURNTICE?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:28 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Actually I have two brothers, but, sadly neither of them are burntice. D:

Ok, I've been fooling around with palettes a bit more:

I'm not liking either of the results. I think I'm just going to go back to my roots of my inspiration and get all of the colors from Cave Story and just use those.

Ryuza helped me out a bit and gave me that first palette, but now I think it feels a little washed out. But, the one below it that I made makes it difficult to give proper contrast to the objects. And both of the palettes probably have way too many colors. I'm probably going about it all wrong, trying to make every color I'll need before I actually know for sure what colors I'll need. Maybe a normal person would make new colors as they go along and find the need? Well, if the Cave Story palette doesn't work out, I'll try that way next.

Who woulda thought a palette would be so hard to get right! I guess this is just one of those things that I suck at (another thing I find difficult is cow tipping, dang!! ... jk btw). So yea, I'm going to get the colors from Cave Story together and see what I come up with. Hopefully the result will satisfy my overcritical needs.

I'm also looking for a bit of C+C: What do you guys think of the heart container I made? And that light icey-colored thing is supposed to be an ice spike... I know, fail. That big blue stuff is supposed to be water. The rest should be obvious..? I think the hearts and water are the best. They're just some of the WIP graphics I've got going. ;)
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 06:41:12 am »
Now it's starting to look vaguely GSish with the ice spike. I like! Also, I like the palettes!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:46 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Now it's starting to look vaguely GSish with the ice spike. I like!

Forgive me for not understanding but, what do you mean by "GSish"? Like Golden Sun?

Also, I like the palettes!

Both palettes? But, which one should I go with?

Ryuza gave me some amazing browns and some great skin tones, which I had a hard time getting right by myself (thanks again Ryuza!). I think I'll take those and some of my more vibrant colors and try to get the best of both worlds. I'm playing Cave Story and some Legend of Princess to study the colors a bit too. I feel like I'm getting more of an idea of what colors I want so I'll get something worked out soon.

In the mean time, I'm making some various-angled solids and objects for the basic platform test. I'm also figuring out how to have minimal key controls and still keep all of the great actions for Link. Right now I've got it down to 6 action keys, the menu key, and the arrow keys. But 6 action keys is too much imo. I want to get it down to 4, if possible. I need to figure this out now because I will have these actions in the platform test.

Here is what I've got so far on the controls:
Quote from:  CURRENT CONTROLS
[Left/Right] = Look/Move in direction.
[Up] = Look up; climb up.
[Down] = Look down; climb down.
(Note: The arrow keys will probably aim the bow as well. This is a problem I have yet to figure out: how to make the bow work in an action-friendly way in a platform game?... and no, I refuse to use the mouse)

[Down] = Action button - check; open door; open chest; pick up object.
[1] = Attack/Sword button - exactly as it says.
[2] = Defense button - shield Link from attacks; dodges.
[3] = Quick button - makes Link run; modifies some attacks and defensive maneuvers.
[4] = Link's item button - used for the bombs, the bow, the boomerang, and the ********.
[5] = Sprite's item button - uses Sprite's currently selected magic power.
[6] = Jump button - exactly as it says.

[7] = Menu button - pops up the item/menu screen.
As you can see, I still need to work it out a bit more.

Also, I need to figure out how I will arrange the images in Link's "animated" sprite. I am going to have 2 sprites, one with all left-facing images and the other with all right-facing images. That way I can simply switch images according to the faced-direction while keeping the same sub-image, if that makes sense. I think it will be the most efficient way to do it code-wise, unless someone thinks up something better.

Eh, but right now it's time for sleep... actually, it was that time for me about 4 hours ago. :P
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:44:53 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
Damn. I can't play this! I have no up key! Oh woe....

I like the first more; in the second palette, the red is too orange. We need RED LINK not ORANGE LINK! That, and although not as vibrant as the second palette, I feel it works.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »
You could combine the defense button with the down key. If there's nothing for Link to check, he stands there and defends. Left/right keys could do a dodge roll when down is also pressed. If you want the player to be able to run around while defending though, then you will need a unique button; I don't know your plans, obviously.

Another option is combining Link's items with Sprite's items - is there any reason why that's not viable?

One more option would be to combine the sword and items together, and have one dedicated weapons button like Cave Story. The player could equip 4 items in the menu, along with the defaulted sword to make 5, and toggle through them, which would help the action stay steady.

So in total, I'm thinking:

[Down] = Action button - check; open door; open chest; pick up object. If Link isn't in front of something checkable, shield pops up, dodge with left/right.
[1] = Item button - controls the sword and any other equipped items.
[2] = Jump button - exactly as it says.
[3] = Quick button - makes Link run; modifies some attacks and defensive maneuvers.
[4] = Toggle button - toggle through Link's items. Two buttons would be more convenient, but one does the job.

[5] = Menu button - pops up the item/menu screen.

EDIT: Maybe instead of the quick button, the player could hold the jump button to activate quick moves? Again, you lose the functionality of simultaneous quick + jump, but you'd gain the extra slot for a second item toggle.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:32:15 pm by Nabeshin »
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 07:10:04 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Damn. I can't play this! I have no up key! Oh woe....

WHAT?! No up key?! Why not? D:

I like the first more; in the second palette, the red is too orange. We need RED LINK not ORANGE LINK! That, and although not as vibrant as the second palette, I feel it works.

Well, I did a mesh of more vibrant colors with some of Ryuza's and I kinda like the result. I feel like I can make what I need with this one (top sprite set is Ryuza's colors only, the middle set is my old one, and the bottom set is my final result):

Anyway, I've spent way too much time testing palettes and all, so I'm gonna say that this new one is good enough. Thanks again to Ryuza, you helped me out more than you know. The only thing I don't like is the rupee; I should have used one of the other greens. But the rupee needs a complete redo anyway.

Nabeshin: Thanks for the thoughts on controls. I've realized that my game is much more complex than Cave Story as far as all of the actions the player is able to do. Heck, it's a Zelda! There's going to be lots of actions for Link and lots of items. I think getting it down to 6 keys in all (including the menu button) will be fine. So I just need to eliminate one. I guess I kind of have to do it myself because I don't want to give away certain things just yet, but I probably will have to eventually. I just don't want to spoil any of the fun for anyone.

But, I do plan on having special instance attacks, like in WW where the A button would light up and it would let you do something cool. For an example, I'm going to have an attack called "Assassinate" which will just be there for some extra fun. It's these kinds of things that I really don't want to sacrifice. But, if making less keys makes the game more enjoyable, then I will have to lose a few fun things like this. That's about all I'll say about it though.

Is 6 keys still too much? I guess the best thing to do would be to have 5 keys though, one for each finger. That way the player could set up 4 keys along the bottom, like Z X C and V for the main actions, then use SPACE for the inventory screen, meaning that the player would never have to move his/her fingers. Meh, I'm just thinking out loud. Oh, btw, yes, I will have configurable keys. Being forced to use keys that feel wrong is a terrible crime (one that I'm guilty of in my older games).

... I REALLY should move this to WIP. :P
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 07:15:17 am »
Yes you should. And I have no up key because it... fell off... and I haven't gotten it fixed yet...

The new palette looks perfect, BTW!

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 07:24:44 am »
Easiest thing to do is let the player assign their own keys. Options like this are one thing I wouldn't ever leave out, there's always going to be someone who hates the keys you've chosen or they're in an uncomfortable position for them.

Whoops, looks like you said you'd have configurable keys :P I really should read the whole paragraph first.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 07:27:20 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Yep, so very true! That's why I'm going to have assignable keys. The problem is figuring out how to limit the number of keys used and to take it from 7 keys down to only 5. Once I figure that out, I'll be sure to ask everyone's opinion on default key settings.
  • My Music

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:49 am »
Well, I'm used to O^ K< L> ,V soo... configurable keys would help... Can't even play Braid...

• Mirby Studios
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 110 queries.