Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So anyway; just combed through about 40 pages and...  (Read 2486 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
So anyway; just combed through about 40 pages an...
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
THE RANT PART:

I hate to come off like a DICK, but like... We're ZFGC... Theres proper tilesets out there (don't say Spirters-Resource. If you think those are proper rips then you're definitely not meant for game development), and none of them are here. It's obvious why new people aren't coming in to do fangame dev o.0;;...

People are calling images with repeating tiles "optimized tilesets". That's not optimized! That's called "Padding with more useless data". Optimizing involves organizing but removing the repeating tiles. It's no wonder why people can't keep their project files below 4 megs.

Theres one huge ass tileset that's approximately 16 tiles wide and about 256 tiles tall for the LTTP overworld. It's the direct rip from lttp. I'd assume it'd be int he graphics section of the site o.0 but theres nothing.

If there were any decent tileset rips here, they're gone now. This is why offsite linking can be bad. We have an upload feature :P.

TLDR PART: "Baww" + "where the !@#$% are the usable tilesets" + "Baww"

THE SOLUTION PART:

Instead of linking to other sites; simply upload the tilesets. Fact: It doesn't matter who ripped the tiles. They're property of Nintendo. We're not in violation of someones personal rights by uploading a tileset they ripped. We're in violation of Nintendo's rights; but that was a given when we started a Zelda fangaming community. If you want to pay homage to the person who ripped it, add a credits shoutout.

Use the portal for resource uploading! Make some use of it! Save someone the hours of searching for something that we might not have here.

--

Anyway I'm done with my rant <_<;; I'm tired of looking for tiles now.

---~ AND NOW ~---

Lets use this thread to attach tilesets that would come in handy.

I'LL START!

The one I uploaded is Aab's edit (I believe)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:02:14 pm by Mamoruanime »
Re: So anyway; just combed through about 40 page...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:20:19 pm »
A contradiction that I see with your idea is that you say that some users do not know what a quality resource is, yet somehow the same people are supposed to upload resources to the site. That, and if non-optimized tilesets do waste memory, having commonly found images up on our site that could easily be found elsewhere would waste our memory.

Otherwise, I was going to put in place an idea for the revamped resource boards that I had after my finals are done in less than twenty days. I am still working out the kinks but it should make it so the actual functioning of the Graphics board will not be bogged down with requests. There is also a concept of public and ZFGC-exclusive work to which if you wanted to look at what was ZFGC-exclusive you would have to be active on this forum.

I'm of the opinion that some custom work has been more useful to ZFGC than stuff that can be ripped - e.g. .TakaM's, Faceless's, desgardes, etc. work.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:59:23 pm »
  • Silly cat!
Yeah, that's definitely Aab's sheet, though it is lacking, slightly.

See the attachment for the complete sheet (oblagh!).

I actually have A LOT of sprites and tiles from ZFGC's history on my PC, I just couldn't be stuffed uploading it all on my tiny download limit. Maybe when I'm at my bud's place.

Hoffy.

gm112

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:03:13 am »
The resources section should have sub-categories. Just having "Graphics" obviously isn't cutting it. Look at how messy the resources section is. It's really annoying to have 6 pages of random stuff to go through. (eg: Graphics should have a sub-category called "Tile sets" >_>)..
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:53:17 am »
because I can't be bothered reuploading...
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=1
I uploaded a whole heap of MC tilesets there. They're not mine, but they're there.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

CrystalAngel04

Resident ZFGC female
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:33:27 pm »
  • \\*Caution*\\ The Internets: May contain Women

Maybe I'll finish that Misery Mire one this weekend...
  • -= Crystal Angel Creations =-

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »
The resources section should have sub-categories. Just having "Graphics" obviously isn't cutting it. Look at how messy the resources section is. It's really annoying to have 6 pages of random stuff to go through. (eg: Graphics should have a sub-category called "Tile sets" >_>)..

This. Or split the Graphics forum up into two sections: Sprites and Tiles. Either option would clean the mess up a bit.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:38:12 am »
  • Silly cat!
I'm thinking more: Sprites, Tiles, Maps. That works better.

Hoffy.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:54:07 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well; the fact of the matter is- each submission still needs tags to sort them <_<;;

If they had tags, we could separate them into the categories, or even set up a proper search feature for them :s

I think we should gather groups of people to rip specific game elements and tiles. Like assign someone to rip the tiles of Links Awakening, and try to get some sort of uniformity between the tilesets. We can tag each one with the appropriate metadata, including game, ripper, and other important stuff.

If we do this; we need to decide how we're ripping them (be it screenshots or actual data rips), and I feel it's important to keep savestate files public for our progress.

I could probably rip Links Awakening (and potentially OoA/S) because it's so easy to modify. I can edit the maps in real time in the game with ease to rip any tile I want.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:42:29 pm by Mamoruanime »

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:41:29 pm »
I'm still for the subforums over tags. Tags could be for the style, but subforums would be more organized than tags with [Tiles], or [Sprites], because there would be only tiles in the Tiles subforum, and only sprites in the Sprites forum. It's still disorganized if you keep one Graphics forum click on it, and get a page full of mixed tiles and sprites and whathaveyou.

Though is does fix the search problem.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 12:44:35 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm still for the subforums over tags. Tags could be for the style, but subforums would be more organized than tags with [Tiles], or [Sprites], because there would be only tiles in the Tiles subforum, and only sprites in the Sprites forum. It's still disorganized if you keep one Graphics forum click on it, and get a page full of mixed tiles and sprites and whathaveyou.

Though is does fix the search problem.

Just keep in mind that a subforum is essentially a sorted tag :p Tags are simply data that go with the file; which could encompass which forum it goes in. Also I agree lol
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:07:21 pm »
A combination of subsections and tags would be best. Subsections could completely catergorize things, such as sprites > sheets > MC > monsters > octorok.png, whilst tags could contain things in the actual image, so if you have a whole sheet with item icons or something each item could be tagged.
IMO this resource gallery hasn't been done right from the start.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Indeed- Something definitely needs to be done.

I think I'm going to make another thread to organize ripping complete tilesets. It *needs* to be done, and why not by us. If we get it finished we can submit it to other sites as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 64 queries.

anything