Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 461930 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #260 on: September 25, 2010, 06:20:32 pm »
Sadly I have to work with what's in front of me (since I'm no good spriting). Any advice on how to make these better with the sprites present?

Edit: How about option nr 3. This one is a middle ground without that one totally smashed pedastal.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 06:33:05 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #261 on: September 25, 2010, 08:07:45 pm »
It sadly feels made. As if the broken statues are force in the room. I would say that if you have a broken pedestal, than the statue next to it should have things broken of. Not to mention that the pedestals lack the debris of the statues themselves. At the moment it looks like housecleaning has cleaned up the broken part but forgot to ring the repair man.

I also think you should put less statues in the room. It is as if there is nothing else but statues there. If you want to fill the room use more than just statues.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:17:47 pm by Niek »
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2010, 04:41:08 pm »
Okay then. There is FINALLY a new demo out (v0.10). Like promised. Hope you guys/girls like it. Honestly I forgot what was in the last one so I hope nobody's dissappointed with the progress. Feel free to point out any glitches that need changing. I don't expect it to be perfect XD.

And here is a list of the mayor changes/additions since the last demo:
-Added more rooms
-Added breakable wall (hint: it's near the dungeon map)
-Added alternative chests + Edited the "Opening chest" sequence
-Finished renaming all the scripts
-Redid the overhead display (= less objects used, but the same visuals)
-Added keys from above and in pots
-Changed the jump down sequences
-Added stand alone stairs + accompanied transitions
-Added pushing and pulling objects (v.2)
-Added and implemented push / pull switches (15x)
-Added interaction movable objects and pressure plates
-Added teleportation tile
-Added key on pedestal
-Redid the coding for the cyclops gaurds (+ added a blue / red variant)
-Turned enemy colors variable
-Implemented new system of damaging enemies (+ damage from enemies)
-Changed the underlying health / magic values
-Redid all the existing enemies using a new structure
-Redid the old shielding mechanic
-Updated the dungeon map system
-The fade out screen effect is now draw as part of the HUD
-Added different hurt visuals for enemies
-Added in new blue, red and yellow Stalfos enemies
-Redid the entire character structure
-Added in ice rod, fire rod and rod of medu (no magic attack yet, but you can club enemies with them XD)
-Changed large portions of the pick up + throw mechanics
-Further refined the AI of flying tiles (and other projectile enemies)
-Landing in water will now result in a splash effect
-Added a series of new containers
-Container weight now has small effects on some actions (walking/running/picking up/throwing)
-Added the option for longer and diagonal ledgejumps
-Adjusted/improved getting items from chests
-Created a new digging system
-Added new Pols Voice Enemy
-Recoded/improved all the transitions between rooms
-Recoded large sections of the death sequence
-Added visuals for more tunics and a frozen + stone state
-Redid/simplified the respawn mechanic
-Fixed up a large (!) number of glitches/error/smaller issues
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2010, 05:01:14 pm »
Indeed there is to many statues in there.
I'm not really good at spriting, but perhaps your more looking for something like:

(still needs some work though)

Checked the demo:

first run got stuck at the statue right across then entrance of the dungeon.

controls feel a bit strange, though that may just be because I'm using a different layout for them myself.

Found one other thing that might need some work: I just left a room going through the southern door, but appear in the room below as walking through a locked door. Shouldn't that lock be in both rooms?

The graphics look likes its an official game.
I definitely like it
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:27:51 pm by Atomicd1 »
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:14 pm »
Thanks for the image.

About your comments. It's a little difficult to determine the problems.

Could you post an image of you getting stuck with the statue across the entrance. Does this refer to the movable statue outside? And if so, what did you do to get stuck? Did you pull it or push? I need to be able to recreate it to fully understand the problem.

Could you also post a screenshot with the southern door and it's locked door? I need more information to determine what door you are talking about and wether or not it is glitch/oversight.
« Reply #265 on: September 27, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »
Ofcourse I will make some screenshots for you if that makes it easier to see what I mean ( and to fix it ):

The place where I get stuck:

when you walk up the ladder and then walk till you hit the statue and turn around you will find yourself to be unable to walk away.

Found another error:

Same place as the previous one, using the D key just before you reach the statue.

Image of the non locked door:

Location and image of me entering the room through the locked door: ( top of the white room )

« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »
Yes! If only every comment was as nice XD

Fixed the first issue by moving the birdstatue up by 4 pixels.
Fixed the second issue by not allowing a grabbing motion while on the stairs.

I'm not going to edit the third situation. You are correct. It is an oversight on my part. But not in the long run. The dungeon is designed around the player having to first find 4 torches to light. That will move the bird statue with the stairs leading down. Once down you find the master key and that will allow you to open the big lock you used to get to this particular room. It looks sloppy right now, seeing a closed door when you walked through an open door. In the end you will not come across this situation though, as the small lock will have to be opened before opening the big lock.

I'll update the demo once more issues have accumulated.
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »
It looks fantastic I might say, however there are 3 things that stopped me from playing very fast (mainly the controls).

First, controls are horrible (really really horrible), might want to consider something like A and S for action buttons, Q and W for items and map, E for switching items and D for running. The way you have it now is everything is in unlogical positions and spaced out all over the keyboard (I have to place my hand in a really awkward position to play).

Second, the way the view moves isn't right, it looks kind of wobbly.

And third I got stuck in the first room of the dungeon, but another member already posted some screenshots about that.

This seems really promising and I'd be sad to see such a great game still be shitty because of the controls.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2010, 12:51:29 am »
Having not downloaded it myself, I would assume that your first and largest point is invalid. In the first post, it says you can press F1 and change the controls, though I havn't tested this out. Again, I havn't downloaded the demo, so I can't say for sure, but the wobbling might just be you. The latest video looks fine... Not to be all negative, this looks fantastic so far. I only wish I had enough time on my hands to even attempt to make something this great. Keep it up =)
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2010, 06:15:12 am »
Just a quick response before I head of to work:
1. Controls can be changed. The lay-out works great for me but obviously there are different keyboard settings out there and different preferences. So I added the option to be able to customize the keys. It's a temporary fixs for now till I add in an option to be able to save your custom settings.
2. Never had this problem and never had anybody else give me simular feedback. My first guess would be that it has to do with your machine's performance.
3. Already fixed it in my own version, so you won't have the problem anymore in demo 0.10.1 when that's finished.
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2010, 09:57:02 am »
Just a quick response before I head of to work:
1. Controls can be changed. The lay-out works great for me but obviously there are different keyboard settings out there and different preferences. So I added the option to be able to customize the keys. It's a temporary fixs for now till I add in an option to be able to save your custom settings.
2. Never had this problem and never had anybody else give me simular feedback. My first guess would be that it has to do with your machine's performance.
3. Already fixed it in my own version, so you won't have the problem anymore in demo 0.10.1 when that's finished.
My apologies for not noticing controls can be changed. Having changed them I was able to play some more and weirdly enough the view wobbling wasn't there. It kinda sucked though that the controls don't get saved so when I died I lost them. One more thing I noticed is that some of the music fades out and then starts over again, it should be a continuous loop.

Overall it looks really solid. Too bad you are using aLttP graphics which are the ugliest of them all :(
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2010, 10:02:49 am »
If you wish, then I can see about making the controls saveable in version 0.10.1. Do you really intent to play the demo multiple times?

Could you specify where the music fades unexpectedly?

It's probably cause I'm older then you (=childhood memories etc), but I like the feel of the Attlp graphics better then Minish Cap. They're not bad. The GameBoy styled graphics are far worse in that department.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
aLttP graphics are the best IMO.

MC appeared almost prerendery at times, and it was pretty annoying. It doesn't capture the feel of Zelda as I remember it; only Zelda as TWW presented it.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:24 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I like LttP. Mainly because it really was the inspiration for GB style. So it's responsible for two good styles.

And it looks great in this.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2010, 11:02:18 am »
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2010, 12:05:08 pm »
If you wish, then I can see about making the controls saveable in version 0.10.1. Do you really intent to play the demo multiple times?

Could you specify where the music fades unexpectedly?

It's probably cause I'm older then you (=childhood memories etc), but I like the feel of the Attlp graphics better then Minish Cap. They're not bad. The GameBoy styled graphics are far worse in that department.
aLttP graphics are childhood memories for myself too, but MC and the GBC graphics are much more appealing too me. aLttP graphics are too dark and you can't make nice looking areas with them :)

I don't get why everyone reveres aLttP like it's some kind of god, for me it's the worst of all Zelda's (excluding Majora's Mask since I never played that one).

On the point of the fading music, it fades when it reaches the end of the song, and then starts over again (I noticed it on the menu screen and in the room you spawn in iirc). You should just put in a copy of the song where the music doesn't fade at the end and blends nicely with the start of the song again.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:08:57 pm by TC Gamer »

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:36 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I think the darkness fits the setting. Unless I'm mistaken, the Dark World had a lot more graphics than the Light World, and thus... DARKNESS.

And I think that this game proves that you can make nice looking areas.

As for your GB graphics, as I said, inspired by LttP. When Nintendo made Link's Awakening, they basically tried putting LttP graphics in a form that the Game Boy would handle. Thus, GB style was born.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
Progress this (and last) weekend is a little bit different then usual. I was working on the buzz blob enemy but needed a change so I'm making a little sidestep into a custom room editor. Correction. Really really early version of room editor XD. This will be a program that I'll try to develop alongside my main program over the years (?) adding features as I go. Right now it can just be used to define rooms and areas. I hope to expand it over the coming weeks so that the output from the editor will fuel the ingame dungeon map. Once that's done I'll continue with the main game again.

Once I'm done with this first stage (in maybe two more weekends, depending on life and studies) I'll attach it to the demo download. I'll also leave it open for those interested to look around or improve. Not sure if anybody'd care, but still. Just don't be surpised to find somewhat messy coding habbits here and there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:47:12 am by Martijn dh »

Brutus

Kirby Master
« Reply #278 on: October 10, 2010, 09:11:12 pm »
How do I download this? :huh:
if place_free(x,y,z) {wrong number of arguments to function or script}
« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2010, 09:32:42 pm »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 78 queries.