Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: An up coming zelda game  (Read 8701 times)

Re: An up coming zelda game
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:40 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
As you all may heard, a up coming game I am creating called,Zelda Oath of seasons,
is a Game I'm making just for fun...but I am needing a few sprites for a demo. This came
as an idea when it hit me.It is going to be as fun as Shadow Gazer  XD. So if you or any of your friends have a great zelda minish cap spritesheet or background, or tileset, be sure to send them to me at
 Keshawn.Midgette@Gmail.com
Thanks          ~MC-Link~ 8)

Making just for fun, but as fun as Shadowgazer? ...

MC-Link, man, I'm gonna level with you. This is exactly how I talked when I first started making games with Game Maker back when it first came out (a few years back). You sound like you're all psyched about it, which is great, but I can make a guess that you aren't going to be able to pull this off unless you take a step back and plan out things a bit; and it's not gonna be a "just for fun" project, unless you like to get frustrated and to tackle issue after issue, getting stuck trying to figure out what the heck is freakin wrong, etc.

Shadowgazer, even the demo, was an intense project and it was beautiful. Just to warn you, making a game as fun to play as the Shadowgazer demo isn't going to be all fun to make.
You just seem to be a little bit of a newbie to programming, but forgive me if I am wrong and judgmental here.

I'm not saying that to tear you down, I just want to let you know the reality of what you're trying to do so you're a little more ready for it. To me, a "just for fun" project is a mini game, or a remake of an arcade game, but if you want to make a game as fun as Shadowgazer, it's gonna be rough to make, it's gonna take lots of time, and it's gonna stretch your skills to the limit (but hey, whatever makes you better!).

With that said, GO FOR IT MAN! Always keep in mind that, when you come to snags in the project (and they WILL come), just visualize the complete project and how fun it will be and let it PUMP YOU UP! YAY! XD  Now go make us some good stuffz to play! ;)

Btw, did anyone give you a link to the Zelda stuff at TSR? If not, here:
TSR - Zelda Resources

Good luck!
  • My Music
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:49:12 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
Well my advice would be to listen to what everybody has said here.  This all comes from people who have had a lot of experience making games.  Making the claim that your game will be as good/fun as the "BEST ZELDA FAN GAME OUT THERE" is an extremely large statement especially when it comes to fan games.  Everyone here would be happy for you if you were able to do that, but you can't blame us for questioning.

It is easy to become over zealous when first starting a project, but the only way you will be able to finish it is if you allow yourself to become realistic and level headed about it.  That being said everybody here likes a good fan game.  You don't have to be the best to be good.  Keep working on your project and if you can prove us all wrong then more power to you. 

btw the screen shot looked good (with the exception of the resolution) keep it up and you may have a good game on your hands.  Also, feel free to ask people here for help if you need it. 

I look forward to seeing more!
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 01:09:33 am »
It's nice to be inspired and want to praise a game for being what it is... but trust me as the founder of my 3D Zelda game Unicorns Lair.

Making a game doesn't happen with the press of a button like 90% of people cling to, you need a plan, story, idea, information and all sorts of assets to even get ANYWHERE.
It's proof even with tilesets right infront of you this idea is nothing more than saying you enjoyed Shadow Gazer... make a plan and stick to it... it's been almost 3 years before my game even got attention.

Keep making your games and be your own artist :3
Game Designer and Artist

My Zelda Projects Official Site:
http://unicornslair.byethost17.com

I encourage you, please rate my Project here!
  • The Legend of Zelda: Secret Depths of the Unicorns Lair

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 01:50:35 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
A suggestion I'll make because I live by it is get at least 3 projects going at once. Sounds bad, but hear me out. I've seen way too many games die (Book of Mudora, anyone?) because they were the only projects the author was working on. I myself have 7 or 8 going. Get multiple projects going so when you get bored of one and stop working on it, you have others to work on. When you get tired of those, go back to this one. It may take a while to finish a project, but at least it'll be finished, not dead. That's what I do.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 02:14:57 am »
  • Minalien
A suggestion I'll make because I live by it is get at least 3 projects going at once. Sounds bad, but hear me out. I've seen way too many games die (Book of Mudora, anyone?) because they were the only projects the author was working on. I myself have 7 or 8 going. Get multiple projects going so when you get bored of one and stop working on it, you have others to work on. When you get tired of those, go back to this one. It may take a while to finish a project, but at least it'll be finished, not dead. That's what I do.
Don't listen to Mirby, he's apparently an idiot. While it is advisable to have multiple things to occupy your attention, don't try to spread yourself thin on game-related projects. I would suggest working on this project, while doing testing on outside entities - things that you don't intend to have see the outside world. Not only will it keep you fresh and help you learn, but it may generate ideas (and help you test others) for the main project. Especially at the beginner level, trying to do multiple projects that you do intend to develop as "complete" games will only serve to frustrate and confuse you.

Another suggestion that I will make is to do as much of the design on paper as you can before you start working on the development. Come up with your ideas, flesh things out, figure out exactly how you want the gameplay to work before you start trying to program it. It will make things easier in the long run - trust me.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 02:23:20 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Get multiple projects going so when you get bored of one and stop working on it, you have others to work on.

That's... A really bad suggestion. Reason is because it means you have too many projects to personally manage. Typically if you're "losing interest" in a project, it wasn't well enough planned to be completed to begin with. Having multiple projects doesn't remedy the fact that you need to make a design structure for yourself and others working on the project.

I typically go with Ken's methods; except I tend to be impractical and make a rough draft game and flesh it out from there. When it's perfected, I write a better, less crude engine. I don't suggest doing it that way though. Pen and paper is best. I'm the type who needs to see my work in action before I can better flesh it out anyway, so I tend to ignore that :p
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:27:28 am »
  • Minalien
I typically go with Ken's methods; except I tend to be impractical and make a rough draft game and flesh it out from there. When it's perfected, I write a better, less crude engine. I don't suggest doing it that way though. Pen and paper is best. I'm the type who needs to see my work in action before I can better flesh it out anyway, so I tend to ignore that :p
I never said that was my method. I mostly do what you just mentioned - work on a rough idea, start playing around with prototypes, and refine from there. But that's probably because I work best with iterative development. I guess that'd actually be a better suggestion than planning everything out on paper, for single-developer projects.

While I'd also add "don't get in over your head," it's past that point already.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:29 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I meant the methods you mentioned, but yeah :P
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 05:33:30 am »
I tend to have multiple projects at once, but mostly music. 1 or 2 games or engine ideas that I've got and 3 or 4 songs. It's a bit different with music though, I really need to be in the right mood to write a certain piece, so I usually end up with a few that are quite different from one another.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 11:43:01 pm »
I didn't mean to focus on at once. I meant so there'd be something else. Personally, I hate mapping, so when it comes to mapping, I lose interest in a project. I have others on standby that I can work on. I'm not spreading myself thin. I'm fully focused on one project at a time; I just have projects I can switch to when I don't feel like doing something on one that I'm working on.

And don't listen to Min when it comes to me; he thinks EVERYTHING I do is stupid and that I'm too dumb to even breathe. When it comes to everything else, yes, Min's one of the people to listen to. But when it comes to me, ignore his comments; they're usually insults.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 11:44:37 pm by Mirby »

• Mirby Studios

Ventlo

ZOMBIE KILLIN' SPREE
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 08:49:16 pm »
Niek, how come whenever you come into a topic, it always has to be rude?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:30:17 pm by MC-Link »
BLOOD, GORE, LANGUAGE!- Everything a gamer needs... :3
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »
And this bump is relevant how?

Ventlo

ZOMBIE KILLIN' SPREE
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 04:30:42 pm »
Niek, just be positive.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 04:50:29 pm »
  • Oh.
And that bump is relevant how?
Hm.
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 06:00:50 pm »
What did I miss?

Ventlo

ZOMBIE KILLIN' SPREE
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »
everything.
 The past few of your posts are not valid reasons to bump a topic.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 07:28:42 pm »
Only Min can be rude upon entering a topic. Because he's an !@#$% and all. Don't take that away from him.

And nothing really. I await further information on this project.

• Mirby Studios

Ventlo

ZOMBIE KILLIN' SPREE
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »
Here s my-
Story
Long ago, in the land of hyrule , there was an oracle. This oracle controlled the time and the seasons. Anyone who held such a rod would be considered the ruler of the world. One dark day when the war for the goddesses began, an evil champion named “Vaati” got a hold of the valuable rod of seasons, that’s what they called it in the legend, and changed everything. After he was done, there where moblins and monsters everywhere.
Now the beautiful hyrule is now the dreadful Hyrule. Will Hyrule ever be the same?

Demos
Demos are coming in 6-9-10

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 04:34:58 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
Tip: Don't set a concrete deadline, set an approximate one.
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 04:44:11 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
MCL, mind if I call you that  XD, if you gonna post a date make sure that you are positive about.  I making a game too but didn't speak of a demo just yet due to further progression.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 77 queries.

anything