Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A stupid transparency issue  (Read 1688 times)

A stupid transparency issue
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »
Ok, first of everything, Hello ZFGC! My name is Leonardo, I registered right now and I hope that we could be friends :D

Oh well, so, I know a bit of programming, I'm doing a Zelda game (using Alttp sprites) with VB.NET language (its the only one I know at the moment) , but I got this issue that's killing me:

How do I use transparency in the sprites? I make link moves and attack enemies, but, you know, there's a white square around link because I made it in Paint :P and the same happens with the enemies...

The other issue that I got is how do the camera works? I mean, when link moves in the overworld, the camera is "following" him through the world, or the link just stay in the screen and the scenario moves in the opposite way while I'm moving link? (If this was misunderstable I will draw a picture explaining that lol)

Thanks!
Re: A stupid transparency issue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:10:53 pm »
First, could you provide a sprite sheet that you are using. For now I assume that the background color in your sheet is white.

Second, does your code for drawing sprites to the screen require a transparancy channel? Or do you provide the render pipe with a color value for transparency? In the first case you need to add transparent pixels to the background. Paint, by default, makes the background white not transparent. In the second case you should provide the white color as the transparancy color and use the correct rendering functions for it. However white is not the best choice as it is also frequently used in sprites.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »
First, could you provide a sprite sheet that you are using. For now I assume that the background color in your sheet is white.

Second, does your code for drawing sprites to the screen require a transparancy channel? Or do you provide the render pipe with a color value for transparency? In the first case you need to add transparent pixels to the background. Paint, by default, makes the background white not transparent. In the second case you should provide the white color as the transparancy color and use the correct rendering functions for it. However white is not the best choice as it is also frequently used in sprites.

Oh, yes, my sprite !@#$% is white.
My code requires a transparency channel, so, I can add transparent pixels to the background how? I mean, photoshop? Thanks for the help :)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »
GIMP would suffice (http://www.gimp.org/).
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »
THANK YOU!!! you made my day.

Now my only issue is the camera thing... but I will try to use the GIMP here and show a little of my zelda game xd
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:46 am »
It would help if you posted the code that controls the camera. Although I don't think I'll be able to help you because I don't know VB(.NET). Maybe someone else will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 46 queries.

anything