Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Two-Day Project... UPDATE: Game finished, will be up this/next week!  (Read 6066 times)

A Two-Day Project... UPDATE: Game finished, wi...
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:08:37 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
Hey guys.  You should all know me, the guy who is working on the great multiplayer GB-styled zelda fan game.  (Yes, it is till in the works.  I just can't double post on the topic yet.)  Well, this week I began to get tired with it and came up with an idea that would let me take a break from that project AND not stay away from it too long.

I was wonderring how much of a (simple) zelda game, albeit probably with little story, I could create in two days.  How much originality and innovation can be packed into a game made that quickly?

Those are the questions I set out to find the answer to.  But this topic is also to find out if anyone is either interested in rivalling me, i/e creating a rival game in two days, or if anyone would like to help.  Don't get me wrong, this is not a recruitment topic.  It is supposed to be a place of discussion about this idea, and possibly about the game if the topic is arisen, between anyone willing to post.

My two-day project would probably have the following characteristics:
  • Gameboy styled graphics
  • 160x144 pixel screen
  • Made in GameMaker 6.0-6.1
  • Will probably use a 16x16 tile grid
  • Most likely without sound, could have sounds from Link's Awakening/Oracle Series

Also, the story would be pretty straight forward, and it MAY end up being more like an arcade game than a Zelda game.

I will start on this project tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM U.S. Central time, whether I get team members/competition or not.

So, please discuss, ask questions, volunteer to try to develop a game in two days, etc here.
Please do not flame.  And discuss the IDEA of a two-day game also.  (I just coined a term!)

UPDATE:  I now feel comfortable discussing the story, so as to build up some hype about this.

Eons ago, the three goddesses descended to the planet.  They built, sculpted, and cultivated it before they left.  When they left, they left the gift of the Triforce, or so the legend says.  But they also left another gift, one that is not documented in any of the surviving myths and stories.  They left the race of Fairies, who were meant to guide and protect the race of the Forest People.

The goddesses left the planet, ages passed, and the Forest People left their forests.  The fairies sought to protect the forest people, and thus created six temples of power.  These temples slowed the dying process of the Forest People who left the forest, allowing the race of Mankind to be born, and to prosper.  Man eventually forgot about the Forest People's existence, save the few myths that spoke of them as "Forest Fairies", and moved on with their lives by building kindgdoms and waging wars.

Eventually, though, a man was born who was an immense threat to mankind, a man who could wipe all life out completely.  The fairies sensed this, and gave the power of time to a small orphaned Hylian boy named Link, and brought him to the Great forest,  where he was secretely trained by the Great Deku Tree.  On the day of his 12th birthday, he was given a great trial.  He was to be sent to the Forest Shrine of Power and purify it.  In the shrine, he almost met his doom.  A great fairy named Anu saved him by giving him her power, thus increasing his physical strength and giving him the ability to morph into the form of a fairy.

Upon returning to his home, he found that a force of Moblins had invaded.  With his dying words, the Great Deku Tree told Link to seek out the remaining five shrines of power and channel their energies to defeat the impending evil.

And thus, Link donned the garbs of a hero and set off on his great quest.

That took awhile to type, hope you guys look forward to this.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:56:04 am by trelantana »
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?

mit

Re: A Two-Day Project...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:04:19 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
In really short time limits, games usually have a lot, lot more work done on them. However, they're usually a lot more glitchy too.

I made an arcade game in 15 minutes once (Fizzy the Dragonfly) and back in the Game comp, there were about four "proper" zelda fan-games made in two / three weeks.

But yeah, in two days you could probably make a short adventure, or a very good arcade game. Not sure. Never really tried it.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:09:02 pm »
  • [sic]
Sound like fun. Good luck to ya.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:30:45 pm »
Thanks!  I know that in a singleplayer engine I can code a movement engine, a textbox engine, some enemies, and an array of weapons in one day.  Day 2 will be reserved for the level design and story development.

I sure hope this ends up being fun.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 08:43:08 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Personally I'd go for a Zelda-NES engine (quick and easy) where the player moves from Random-Generated Dungeon room to Random-Generated Dungeon room as they go. With the odd scripted event liked getting a bow or something, introducing new enemies at set levels etc.

Simple, the hardest part would be the Random Dungeon script/code. But if you understand that you are good to go.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 08:52:28 pm »
  • [sic]
Thanks!  I know that in a singleplayer engine I can code a movement engine, a textbox engine, some enemies, and an array of weapons in one day.  Day 2 will be reserved for the level design and story development.

I sure hope this ends up being fun.
Sounds like a plan to me. Wish other Zelda fagame-developers were as thoughtful as you. That's the plus side of time-limited games, they force you to pay attention, so you learn a lot about game design while doing them.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:05:12 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me. Wish other Zelda fagame-developers were as thoughtful as you. That's the plus side of time-limited games, they force you to pay attention, so you learn a lot about game design while doing them.

Amen.  I'm just a bit worried that some of the boss coding and/or spriting may spill over into day 2.  Oh well, if it does I'll still hopefully finish!   ;)

Personally I'd go for a Zelda-NES engine (quick and easy) where the player moves from Random-Generated Dungeon room to Random-Generated Dungeon room as they go. With the odd scripted event liked getting a bow or something, introducing new enemies at set levels etc.

Simple, the hardest part would be the Random Dungeon script/code. But if you understand that you are good to go.

I like the random dungeon idea.  Kinda like rogue, but I plan to make a simple GBC zelda engine.  It's pretty easy to do too, aside from some of the spriting.  I think in my multiplayer game I made a semi-buggy engine in about 2 or so minutes, not including the spriting.  I could probably replicate it in a less buggy manner for this.

I think I will make it using randomly generated rooms, but the question is will they all be the same shape?  Or should I create a set of 100 or so rooms (whose contents can vary from room to room) that will interchange?  I know that there will be somewhere between 2 and 4 bosses, so another question would be how many rooms would have to be between the bosses?

But still, a rogue-like zelda game is a cool thought.  Rogue-like in that it has randomly generated dungeons, not that it has stat building.  Although I have naver seen stat-building done in a zelda game...
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 09:31:37 pm »
  • [sic]
Are you going to post something like hourly updates or such here? Given your limited time it'd make sense if you didn't, however it'd be nice to see. It'll also be great to see another Zelda fangame amongst the few in the completed section.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 10:02:02 pm »
I'll probably post an update everytime I make a huge leap in the project.  Or perhaps hourly updates.  I'll sleep on it.

No, I'm not going to bed right now.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 10:04:58 pm »
Sounds interesting...but it's pretty hard to pull off a game in 2 days. Still, depending how much content is in it it might be possible.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 10:11:29 pm »
And said thine lord, "Yes, it shall be difficult, but in thine end thy instrument of enjoyment shall prevail over all thine foes!"

Excerpt from the Book of Game Creation.
(/i made it up.)
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 11:12:30 pm »
  • [sic]
Excerpt from the Book of Game Creation.

ROFL

Mod Edit: More content please.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 05:04:33 am by AoDC »
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 01:25:10 am »
  • The Broken King
Huh, that should be interesting. I've actually considered doing something like this myself - not that seriously, mind you. I've been curious how much I could get done in 24 hours straight with enough energy drinks though.

In I think 2004, I did something like this on ZFGC, except I only did it one day, and I didnt' make the graphics. I did the code, level design, etc., but I had other people make the graphics for me. 24 hours later, I had a really simple, yet decent, game working. It's not really anything that I'm proud of though...I made it in GM, and GM is pretty basic, so I should have been done that game in about 12 hours. (Actually, counting the fact that I slept, and slacked, I guess that I basically did :P).

It's entirely possible to get a game done in 48 hours, if you really bunker down and just work on it. Be sure to have lots of caffeine and snack food readily available.  And best of luck to you!
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 01:39:20 am »
Sounds interesting I'll watch this space. :lol:

As for the random dungeon thing, I'm playing the same thing right now only not Zelda and you can only use items once, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team.
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 04:12:35 am »
Sounds interesting I'll watch this space. :lol:

As for the random dungeon thing, I'm playing the same thing right now only not Zelda and you can only use items once, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team.

Good god i hate that game.
It's cool and all, but it gets REALLY annoying, and the game can't just figure out that when I step on an item I want to pick it up.
And the evil rescue team is too strong!  I've been stuck on them for about a week!!!!

Other than that, though, it is pretty cool I suppose.

But this zelda game will hopefully be nothing like that.  Except for the random dungeonness, I hope to retain ALL the original zelda feel.   :P

By the way...
Anyone have any idea how to accomplish the random rooms?  I just need a basic method...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 04:14:42 am by trelantana »
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 06:21:12 am »
  • The Broken King
I read some theory about random room generation a while ago, but the website has removed all blog content and that's wrong. If you're doing this in GM, you'd have quite a problem ahead of you, as the best way to do it that I would know would require some level of classes and recursion, neither of which are easy in GM (as far as I know, I don't think it's changed that much since I've used it).

Basically you'd create a parent node, and start adding rooms - then linking those rooms together (probably easiest way to do that was with pointers), then generating 'doors', which could be locked...you'd basically need to implement some sort of tree structure.

There are probably easier ways to go about it, such as creating a path-creation algortihm, and a 2D array that represents the room as a grid, starting the room as all wall, then programatically removing the rock with teh path-creating algorithm, then setting the sprite of the wall sprites based on the adjacent squares.

• Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2006, 07:29:52 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The idea I had was that you have a room full of nothing but solids. Then you create a somewhat random (as in it will sometimes take the long way round) path-finding Algorithm from the start to the finish.

Then you (semi-)-randomly place Monsters in the room, and give them all paths to the player and the door. Now you have a kind of 'built-up' room of paths. A few semi-random lines slashed across it, maybe give a few of the monsters paths to each other, and you'll have a make-shift room.

I've not tested this, it's only a theory in my head, and don't have a clue how to code it in GM, but I think it would work.

Whilst Random Algorithm's can be an arse if you don't know what you are doing, if you do they can be really useful. I once saw a 1-Level FPS with extremely good graphics which had an .exe under 1 MB because it used Random-Level generation. Kraizer of something like that...
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 11:49:28 am »
  • [sic]
You could have a number of enemies in the dungeon who are invisible who warp to a random space in the room, check if there's no block there, then draw a smoke sprite and then appear. Just a simple solution.
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2006, 12:00:33 pm »
  • :3
i know you can do it good luck
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2006, 04:14:29 pm »
Ya good luck.

As for Pokemon Mystery dungeon, I found the evil rescue team fairly easy. And when you step on items and don't pick them up it's not a glitch it means your bag is full.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 74 queries.