Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Two-Day Project... UPDATE: Game finished, will be up this/next week!  (Read 6065 times)

Re: A Two-Day Project...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 09:27:05 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
Ya good luck.

As for Pokemon Mystery dungeon, I found the evil rescue team fairly easy. And when you step on items and don't pick them up it's not a glitch it means your bag is full.
In Pokemon:Mystery Dungeon it was doing that to me even when my bag wasn't full.

As for the project, I am increasing it to four days and starting it today, because yesterday I had to unexpectedly go out of town.

It was "Family Business", so please don't ask.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 01:30:07 am »
  • [sic]
Uh-oh, well, don't increase it any more. :P Or that'll just get out of hand. Too bad about that.
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 03:38:20 am »
UPDATE: I got most of the base coding done, and the weapon system is done.  But, unfortunately due to midterms this week, the fact that tSR is not working at the moment, and the staggering amount of homework I realized I had last night, I was not able to start until today.  But, fortunately, I am making progress very quickly.  I hope to finish SOMETHING by Wednesday, and if not by then, i will have something by Thursday.  It really all depends on if tSR comes back up soon or not...  :(

But I drone on.

Before I get back to work, I would like to ask your opinion of something...
I came up with a boss.  It is not actually a living creature, but a giant "burglar alarm" if you will.  It is activated just after you leave the first boss room.

The boss fight takes place within a room, 3 screens wide, 2 screens tall.  In the middle is a fenced off pit, and in the middle is a small plate with four lights on it.  A "Simon Says" game, basically.  It shows a sequence of lights, and you have to mimic it to deactivate it.  The catch?  Giant blades come out of the wall and chase you everytime it finishes a sequence.

Hows that sound?  Good?  (It looks a lot better drawn on paper, AND in game.  Trust me.)
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 03:41:53 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
In really short time limits, games usually have a lot, lot more work done on them. However, they're usually a lot more glitchy too.

I made an arcade game in 15 minutes once (Fizzy the Dragonfly) and back in the Game comp, there were about four "proper" zelda fan-games made in two / three weeks.

But yeah, in two days you could probably make a short adventure, or a very good arcade game. Not sure. Never really tried it.
I've tried, making one in 3-4 hours.

Turned out horrible. All you could do was hit a revolving ball in the middle and your points would go up 50 each time.

And if you hit the edge you would lose a life (there were spikes) plus there was gravity so it wasint too easy. Overall, it was glitchy and horrible, maybe if i extended the time to 2 days, it could'ive been something worth playing. XD
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 06:41:47 am »
  • The Broken King
The boss fight takes place within a room, 3 screens wide, 2 screens tall.  In the middle is a fenced off pit, and in the middle is a small plate with four lights on it.  A "Simon Says" game, basically.  It shows a sequence of lights, and you have to mimic it to deactivate it.  The catch?  Giant blades come out of the wall and chase you everytime it finishes a sequence.

Hows that sound?  Good?  (It looks a lot better drawn on paper, AND in game.  Trust me.)

Sounds like your making good progress. Do you mean the boss would be something like, the sequence it shows you, is the way you should move to dodge the blades?

In really short time limits, games usually have a lot, lot more work done on them. However, they're usually a lot more glitchy too.

I made an arcade game in 15 minutes once (Fizzy the Dragonfly) and back in the Game comp, there were about four "proper" zelda fan-games made in two / three weeks.

But yeah, in two days you could probably make a short adventure, or a very good arcade game. Not sure. Never really tried it.

Turned out horrible. All you could do was hit a revolving ball in the middle and your points would go up 50 each time.

And if you hit the edge you would lose a life (there were spikes) plus there was gravity so it wasint too easy. Overall, it was glitchy and horrible, maybe if i extended the time to 2 days, it could'ive been something worth playing. XD

I once had a race with altoid_aholic to see who could make pong first, we finished in about 20 minutes, menus, scoring, and everything.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 07:34:05 pm »
Sounds like your making good progress. Do you mean the boss would be something like, the sequence it shows you, is the way you should move to dodge the blades?

I didnt' realize how vague that part was...
The lights will flash, and then (depending on how many lights are already out) the blades will chase you for a time.  Then there will be about 10-20 seconds of respite, in which time you are supposed to hit the lights (with a weapon) in the sequence they previously flashed.  Then a light will 'splode.  It will still be functional for the next sequence, it will just be relatively dismembered and destroyed.

Can't work on it right now, because I am at sk00l, but I have made some more progress.  Now I have speed slowing enemies, and am starting on the random room script.  The random rooms are proving a large challenge, so much so that I may abandon the concept.

The way I am doing it is:
I am going to design a whole lot of rooms, each being different.  They will be stored in a script, that when run, will add tiles to the current room.  After adding the tiles, it will then go on and place solids where they belong.  Then, if it is supposed to link to another room, it will find an empty path to do so and create it.

Unfortunately it is very time consuming to code the creation of an entire 160x144 room.  That is 240 tiles, each being one line of code, not to mention the solids and other objects in a room.  It would be much easier and faster just to design a set dungeon for the player to traverse.

Also, any ideas on how to find a path, based on a 16x16 grid?  Plus, should I even have the path?  Or should the rooms just be automatically connected?  I/E, they touch completly, unlike the way nethack handles rooms, where there is a small corridor spanning the empty space between rooms. 

Also, if I WERE to create the dungeons in the way I am planning, I would also not want a player to be able to see past the current room's walls.  The only way to solve this quickly that I see is to create a black box the size of the room (surrounded by a transparent white), and when the player collides with it to set it's blend mode to subtract.  Otherwise it would be normal, but when the player collides with it, it would blacken the area around the room, stopping the player from seeing past the confines of it.

Your thoughts?
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 01:50:11 am »
  • Issac_Amisov

I once had a race with altoid_aholic to see who could make pong first, we finished in about 20 minutes, menus, scoring, and everything.
[/quote]O.o Crap. your fast at gamemaking!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 02:32:27 am »
  • The Broken King
Well we used gamemaker. XD
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 02:44:14 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
Hmm.. I used gamemaker too xD

I'm just really slow at programming and stuff. half the time I get stuck on pissy little things xD

I'm still learning GML XD
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 11:51:08 am »
  • [sic]

O.o Crap. your fast at gamemaking!
[/quote]
Well, it's only pong, it wouldn't take too long.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 02:57:47 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I wrote a C++ pong engine with speed-altered angles and OOP in about five minutes (though the angle math was crappy...). It's really simple even in one of the more complicated languages.

In Game-Maker, too easy :) 20 minutes almost sounds like a long time with that thing :p
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 04:15:58 pm »
  • [sic]
I wrote a C++ pong engine with speed-altered angles and OOP in about five minutes (though the angle math was crappy...). It's really simple even in one of the more complicated languages.

In Game-Maker, too easy :) 20 minutes almost sounds like a long time with that thing :p

Yeah I could probably make it in 10-15 minutes.

JohnGames

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 04:36:28 pm »
is this compition going on?  If so are we allowed to use one of the engines we already built?
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 07:13:33 pm »
is this compition going on?  If so are we allowed to use one of the engines we already built?

If you want to join this, go ahead!  The more the merrier!  And the more games will be released as COMPLETE this week.

You MAY use a prebuilt engine.  It would be cooler if you didn't, but you can.
It still counts as making an engine yourself if YOU are the one who made it in the first place.

Also, I have finished coding (for the most part) the wall-blade boss.  It is freaking awesome.  Now I just need to work on placing the rooms...

UPDATE:  ARGH!  I can't finish until tSR comes back up!  Got-dangit!!!!!
EDIT #2:  Woohoo!  I just checked again, and tSR is up again!   Let us DANCE!!   :jellytime: :tek: :dance: :ganon: I can continue work again!  Thus marking the real begining of my project, and the start of a 4 day weekend!  Although I have overshot my 2 day goal a little, I should still be able to finish before Sunday.  Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:40:16 pm by trelantana »
Re: A Two-Day Project... UPDATE: STARTED OCTOB...
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 09:43:20 pm »
*wishes trelantana luck*

Nice to see some progress, and yea for tSR :jellytime: :tek: :ganon: :dance:
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 10:19:01 pm »
I know you can do it you are one of the best coders I have ever seen.
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:25 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Good luck :P

I probably won't be able to do anything substantially good, in that small amount of time :P

Rukario_Master82394

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 03:55:17 am »
Sounds interesting I'll watch this space. :lol:

As for the random dungeon thing, I'm playing the same thing right now only not Zelda and you can only use items once, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team.

I played the Red Rescue Team version at Wal-Mart once...

I hated it.

Anyways, goo look with the project!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 05:21:30 pm »
  • [sic]
So, are you done? What's going on?
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 06:31:57 pm »
  • Issac_Amisov
Yah. it should have been over about a week ago :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 74 queries.

anything