Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: [SCREENS] Surface  (Read 61271 times)

Kingknight

SiMelon
Re: [SCREENS] Surface
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:22 am »
  • The Hunter
can you explain the megaman elements?, right now it looks like a metroidvania.
Wow really? To me I could only see the Megaman qualities, and none of the Metroid qualities besides the different futuristic guns.

Actually, for me the only thing that looks megaman-ish are the graphics, which remind me more to cavestory than megaman, but what I mean with elements are gameplay elements, as in, there will be levels? boss at the end of certain region that you adquire one of their ability? thats my doubt.

Ah, now I understand. Yeah mostly the graphics are megaman-ish.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2010, 05:11:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Actually the initial concept was based around one major principle-

There were 8 areas readily accessible from a hub world (the Surface), each with a boss who gives you a weapon.

This has since changed, since it really doesn't work... :P

As also planned even in the original, Megaman elements will be area structure. Obstacles/events that follow the same pace as a Megaman title. For example; the player may wander into a room with disappearing platforms, or perhaps even an elevator platform that throws out a series of enemies until it reaches the top. The idea is to replicate the exploration element found in games like Metroid and Castlevania, while maintaining a level of action found in Megaman. Bosses will give the player a new ability, instead of a new weapon. Weapons will be found in each game area.

Although I don't know how right now it could look like a metroidvania, since I've yet to show any form of room transitions, which is basically the entire reason for saying a game is metroidvania style D:. Right now it should simply look like an action game.

As for a demo- Who knows :p... I want to wait until I have the entire first area completed before I release any form of demo. In theory area development should be pretty rapid, and once I'm to that point I should be able to just pump it out. I've already finished almost all of the enemies for the first area, and planned out just about every aspect to it I want to add. I have all of the music for it as well, including the boss theme... So yeah once I'm to that point it'll be pretty quick.

I'm probably going to leave the amount of demo's down to a minimum though. Realistically I want to try to present a story in a certain way that demo's kind of stomp all over :P
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2010, 06:19:06 am »
Actually the initial concept was based around one major principle-

There were 8 areas readily accessible from a hub world (the Surface), each with a boss who gives you a weapon.

This has since changed, since it really doesn't work... :P

As also planned even in the original, Megaman elements will be area structure. Obstacles/events that follow the same pace as a Megaman title. For example; the player may wander into a room with disappearing platforms, or perhaps even an elevator platform that throws out a series of enemies until it reaches the top. The idea is to replicate the exploration element found in games like Metroid and Castlevania, while maintaining a level of action found in Megaman. Bosses will give the player a new ability, instead of a new weapon. Weapons will be found in each game area.

Although I don't know how right now it could look like a metroidvania, since I've yet to show any form of room transitions, which is basically the entire reason for saying a game is metroidvania style D:. Right now it should simply look like an action game.

As for a demo- Who knows :p... I want to wait until I have the entire first area completed before I release any form of demo. In theory area development should be pretty rapid, and once I'm to that point I should be able to just pump it out. I've already finished almost all of the enemies for the first area, and planned out just about every aspect to it I want to add. I have all of the music for it as well, including the boss theme... So yeah once I'm to that point it'll be pretty quick.

I'm probably going to leave the amount of demo's down to a minimum though. Realistically I want to try to present a story in a certain way that demo's kind of stomp all over :P
hmm well the reason I mention metroidvania is for the similarity to Cavestory( the starter of modern metroidvania) hmm, for example the fire gun effect remind me to cavestory snake gun:

and the tiles color in which cavestory works with Dark yet simple backgrounds and colorful but not white solid tiles and sprites, same goes with the tiles cavestory using squaretiles you using squaretiles (for example in the boss map), again I am not saying it is wrong or sumething but thats why it reminds me to metroidvanias :P.

About the megaman elements, try to take them alittle bit to the next level, for example add different/original area structures not only megaman ones.

I recommend you seeing this mockups from Ptoing's game, they might help you get inspired in tilesets:

I think they are more around there... I am just posting them so it helps you go away from cavestory style, ptoing mockups reminds me more of megaman that your game, mostly for the tiles and colors.

btw, is the little guy in your game using TTGL glasses o.o.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2010, 06:38:33 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah; with the cavestory snake gun thing--- I'd say to a certain extent they're similar, but my fireball pretty much draws from another famous weapon in game history (and I'm sure CS had this in mind too)-

Although I've pretty much stepped away from CS style a long time ago. I think the similarities are only in the beta tiles I have in the previews. Overall, I have more frames, colors, and subtle details in my graphics then CS's do. If I had to compare the two in terms of retro, I'd say CS is NES as Surface is to SNES. Granted I don't use things like alpha transparency, and I try to maintain a level of simplicity in the development, I'd say it's not really accurate to say it's too much like CS. About the only real thing that's similar at this current point in time are the controls :P

I do admire it's graphical presentation though; but I want to take it to another level that just wasn't there in CS.

With the Megaman stuff again- Yeah :P going above and beyond what MM had was always the intention :P The things I mentioned were just examples of megaman style action elements.

Not really a fan of ptoing's stuff though :\ Not so much the artwork, but the general presentation. Color choices are somewhat unpleasing and hard on the eyes.

I appreciate the input though; I'm actually quite surprised at how many responses I've had with overall inspirational graphics and stuff; it's pretty motivating :D

Also yes; he's wearing Kamina's glasses. One reason that applies to EVERYONE >;3-

(seriously though; it's only temporary.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:22:35 am by Mamoruanime »

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:46 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
I recommend you seeing this mockups from Ptoing's game, they might help you get inspired in
Go back to WoTP to jack off/jack off to Ptoing. Don't wanna see that !@#$% over here. Fuckin' ridiculous...
Actually DJ this post was a bit ridiculous.  You are entitled of your own opinion of WotP, but there are better and less harsh ways to state your opinion.  Please use these in the future.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:39:48 pm by Bludleef »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:10 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Okay- got the new font in (holy !@#$% that was tedious), and added the ammunition systems to the HUD drawing routines.

Next major task now-

I need to rewrite the draw system. Basically I need each object to queue up an image to draw. It's the only way I can think of to efficiently manage draw layers. It'll be pretty neat when it's done, and it will give me quite a bit of flexability.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Is font changing as tedious as when hecking FF1? I had to manually change every letter... that is annoying. So I feel your pain Mammy. Lookin' good, and good luck!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well; I'd say it's considerably more tedious :P

I had to sprite out each individual letter, size it properly, create the display function (which is a pain in the ass), etc

It's so much easier when like GM does most of that for you D:

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »
Ah... I only had to sprite out each letter. Granted it was twice (once with the GS font, and then with the EXE font when I decided to do that instead), but still. I feel a little of your pain.

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2010, 11:03:16 pm »
I think everyone is seeing the comparison between Surface and Cave Story is because it has similar (albeit more detailed like you were saying NES, to SNES) sprites. Just the direction of the art might seem a little bit like Cave Story's. Or also because they're both Metroidvania games with weapons that look like they play the same. I'm not saying they do having never played your game, it's just the way it looks. I can also see how it's heavily Mega-Man as well though. Especially those enemies, floater or something you said?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2010, 11:10:00 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Flotes :p

But yeah; I can see where comparisons are being made, but really they're going to play out quite differently :P About the only real draw is the controls as I mentioned before; which as it stands right now are pretty much the same.
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:42 pm »
Well that's fine, they're good controls. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Swear to god if you don't finish this project I'll probably die a little inside. If you make this big you could sell it, any interests in doing that? I'd totally shell out some bottlecaps for this.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:24 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well that's fine, they're good controls. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Swear to god if you don't finish this project I'll probably die a little inside. If you make this big you could sell it, any interests in doing that? I'd totally shell out some bottlecaps for this.

:P no real plans on selling it, although I know that once I get this to a point that it's near finished, I'm going to accept donations on the website. Reason for that is mainly to help pay for dev time on Surasshu's part as well as website costs (bandwidth, etc). When it come to that point I'll let everyone know.
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2010, 12:57:01 am »
Hmm ok yeah I understand that, I want to see how the new tiles looks like P:. btw I didn't knew you were paying Susshu D:, kinda sucks, but as long as he compose kickass songs it is worth it.

I recommend you seeing this mockups from Ptoing's game, they might help you get inspired in
Go back to WoTP to jack off/jack off to Ptoing. Don't wanna see that !@#$% over here. Fuckin' ridiculous...
o.o oh wow get your wotp hate somewhere else.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2010, 01:02:06 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Hmm ok yeah I understand that, I want to see how the new tiles looks like P:. btw I didn't knew you were paying Susshu D:, kinda sucks, but as long as he compose kickass songs it is worth it.

Nah not paying Surasshu (we both know it's gunna be a freeware indie game), but we have an agreement worked out that if I do take any funds for it they'll be split 25/75 :p Personally I'd like to be able to give back to his contributions :P
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2010, 01:59:58 am »
I get that. I'll donate if it's as fun as I think it's going to be. Even if it isn't I'll still probably donate. Also who is this Surasshu composer of yours? Older ZFGC member?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2010, 02:30:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I get that. I'll donate if it's as fun as I think it's going to be. Even if it isn't I'll still probably donate. Also who is this Surasshu composer of yours? Older ZFGC member?

I won't open donations until people have actually been able to play a bit of the game first (be it the first area demo or the full release). I would hate to open up donations and not have the game finished though :P

As for Surasshu- He's actually not affiliated with ZFGC at all. Tracked him down after DJ used one of his songs in a video :P

New screenshot up- Basically just showing some of the new stuff added. There's now ammunition for guns (and there's a ton of those icons up), and health orbs (sprite temporary). Also shows the first weapon upgrade.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:44:13 am by Mamoruanime »

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2010, 04:43:53 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
those lasers kind of remind me of something.

maybe you should take a look at these battletoads screenshots for inspiration:

I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2010, 05:02:45 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
those lasers kind of remind me of something.

maybe you should take a look at these battletoads screenshots for inspiration:

Both of those things are my complete and total inspiration for anything I do ever in life at any given time :P

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2010, 08:40:57 pm »
lolmammy. Really though, DJ knows where it's at! we need a retro style Battletoads game for WiiWare!

• Mirby Studios
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 77 queries.

anything