Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: OOT2D Map Project - Accepting Community Sprites - Read  (Read 204452 times)

Re: OOT2D Map Project
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:18 am »
I don't know if using Desert Palace tiles is the best option. They are very limited and mostly just cliff tiles and cave entrances. But then again, most sets except for mountain and field tiles are limited.

But I think it will be a while before the next update, because he got into the university.
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »
Well it has been a busy few months especially since I have been at university. This combined with the fact my machine is struggling to load the map now has made for much slower progress, however there has been progress :D.

I can see how some of you have been mislead into thinking that the Gerudo Fortress would require the same tiles as the desert in the LTTP game, however you are all forgetting one major thing. In OOT the ground changes into sand as you go into the desert in that game. This means that the desert ground tiles and the fortress ground tiles must be different.

I have uploaded my attempt of Gerudo Fortress (which I finished today) here for you all to enjoy, so let's give the rundown on the changes.

Firstly you will notice that the tower which you are able to climb a ladder to get on is no longer climbable, why? Because I cannot find a purpose for it in OOT other than to look at the desert, which is impossible in 2D anyway, and pointless. I have also removed the hole in the side of the wall which you use to grapple out of the jail. The reason for this is that putting it into the side of a cliff face is near impossible given the style. Instead when you grapple out of the jail you will be brought (warped effectively) onto the top of the roof that you jump on when you get out of the jail. I think this makes the game translate into 2D much better.

I have done my best to remove any inaccuracy's, and I think I have done a rather good job, though I have changed the ground tiles in order to make what is a very monochrome area seem a little more lively.

Constructive criticisms on this area are very welcome, fire away :)
  • Elliott Parkinson

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »
  • Silly cat!
It's really quite good MaJoRa, well done. I guess, I just have an issue with 3D maps that are built around using the Hookshot and Longshot to get around, being translated into 2D. It just seems the roofs of Gerudo Fortress would be odd to navigate, just looking at it, like that. Or maybe, they just wouldn't be very fun. But I like your work, it's very accurate to both ALttP and OoT, and it's well-thought. Nicely done.

Hoffy.
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2011, 04:44:52 pm »
Not sure how I feel about the tiles you used to build the fortress itself, but I will agree those are the best tiles from ALttP to use for them. I just wish the community could collaborate to build new tiles that are necessary to convert Ocarina of Time to 2d..

I absolutely love your tile work on the entire environment though. The ground especially, just looks professionally put together.

So any idea what area you have in mind next? I'd love to see your vision of Zora's domain, or Goron city, though I know those aren't overworld areas so they probably aren't a priority at the moment..
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »

With a little modification, the tiles from the tower would work quite nicely for the fortress..
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »

Quick example...
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2011, 11:03:21 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Awesome to see you've made some progress Majora! I like the design (except it's maybe a bit hard to navigate through the roofs. Maybe make the depth more visible by making the lower roofs darker and higher brighter?), but like Yoshi said, the tiles could be a bit better.
You have my blessing for his example. :P It looks a lot better.

But carry on, loving your work so far ^^

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2011, 06:08:14 pm »
Right, I happen to agree with the changes suggested by Master Yoshi. So I have re-made the parts of the area with this in mind. I have also made some other changes with the southern area (it seems I forgot a sign and a pole there).

Here it is:

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:47:30 pm by MaJoRa »
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2011, 07:17:50 pm »
I like the overall layout of the area. You did a very good job in translating it to 2D. And I agree the tower that allows you to over look the desert is pointless to make in 2D. However I have two things that I don't like.

First I thought the interruptions in the shadow to the right of the building walls were tiling errors. But then I saw Master Yoshi's screenshot and realized that those were actual doors. I don't think side entrance doors in a ALttP overworld work that well. In MC Hyrule town the side entrance doors had their respective roof overhead and doorsteps to indicate the entrance. ALttP does not have such things. And I don't think that using the shadow works that well either. My suggestion is to move the building parts a bit to the back and then have the door at the front. You can still use additional fences to block a players path.

This comes to my second remark, but the fences are not that well aligned to the tile grid. It Looks as if they are put at random where they only look good. But then I wonder, why bother displaying that ugly magenta grid.
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2011, 07:47:09 pm »
I like the overall layout of the area. You did a very good job in translating it to 2D. And I agree the tower that allows you to over look the desert is pointless to make in 2D. However I have two things that I don't like.

First I thought the interruptions in the shadow to the right of the building walls were tiling errors. But then I saw Master Yoshi's screenshot and realized that those were actual doors. I don't think side entrance doors in a ALttP overworld work that well. In MC Hyrule town the side entrance doors had their respective roof overhead and doorsteps to indicate the entrance. ALttP does not have such things. And I don't think that using the shadow works that well either. My suggestion is to move the building parts a bit to the back and then have the door at the front. You can still use additional fences to block a players path.

This comes to my second remark, but the fences are not that well aligned to the tile grid. It Looks as if they are put at random where they only look good. But then I wonder, why bother displaying that ugly magenta grid.

I can see your point about the doors, though if you look their is also a slight overhang to represent them. I chose this over the idea of putting them as northern (which is easily possible if you look at the layout) for the reason of representing the inside of the fortress. The inside would not line up and / or would have to not make sense in order to move them around, which would be a nightmare for anyone programming it or making the area.

As for why I have the grid there, I make it like this to reduce errors, I have yet to get the TileSplit program to work the way I want it to and I have yet to create one of my own. It also means I can go back and make changes easily.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2011, 08:45:55 pm »
I just squeeled when I saw the new tiles. Very nicely done. I'd also recommend using those tiles for the Temple of Time, mixed with the tiles used for the sanctuary for roofing purposes.

But wow, those tiles made this area POP. I'm quite impressed.
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »
Wow. Looks pretty cool. Nicely done.
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »
Really, really nice progress of it all. I did wonder if you will keep the new red-colored walls though? They do look better than the blue-grey ones in the first draft. I used Master Yoshis screenshot of the fortress to "borrow" another color. I don't know if it fits so well into the desert colors, but it got somewhat closer to the original coloring on the N64. Or... did it? Just a suggestion, anyway.

- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I made this recolour yesterday and I almost didn't post it because I noticed you said you were trying to avoid making the area too monochrome.  But to be honest it's a desert and it's kinda supposed to be brown-ish/tan-ish.  Those red bricks looked really odd, and Eleo's recolour seems a bit too dark.

I also want to point out that a lot of your mountain tiles are using slightly different shades of brown and that should be fixed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:23:18 pm by शेफाली »
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2011, 05:13:28 am »
Whilst I agree that deserts are supposed to be monochrome, you are forgetting to take two things into account. LTTP is not supposed to be monochrome (it doesn't suit the contrasted colourful style), and this area is not yet the desert. On top of that, this is a man made structure, which wouldn't necessarily be sand coloured anyway. With the fact that I think the new colours in the tiles also make it easier to recognise the new depths, I will not be changing these any time soon.

As for the slightly different colours on my cliff tiles, that's a huge pain in my rectum. That is the result of taking tiles from both the SNES and GBA versions of the rom, ah well, suppose I had better fix it.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »
As for the slightly different colours on my cliff tiles, that's a huge pain in my rectum. That is the result of taking tiles from both the SNES and GBA versions of the rom, ah well, suppose I had better fix it.
The gba version of alttp uses brighter graphics than the snes one.
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »
MaJoRa,
Congratulations!
Very very good work!
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2011, 03:23:56 pm »
I feel like the rooftops need something more.. they are too open and bare. Maybe breakeable pots or flags or something.. It's just far too bare.
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »
Sorry to wake up a dead topic, but is this still going on? Or has everyone given up?
I'll add one of these later.
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2011, 07:29:00 am »
Sorry to wake up a dead topic, but is this still going on? Or has everyone given up?

This is still going on, it's just exam period at university and I am finding very little time for the project. Rest assured in 2-3 weeks I will be continuing with this project and completing it.
  • Elliott Parkinson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 73 queries.