Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm new to gamemaker 7... how does it work ?  (Read 7598 times)

Re: I'm new to gamemaker 7... how does it work ?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 03:29:57 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Seeing as everyone is bitching you Ahuron. I shall help you.

Yes because that's exactly what I did, I didn't help him in ANY way.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Ahruon

I'm living in the tree in your backyard...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 03:34:31 pm »
  • Bring it on...
I'm not saying you guys dind't help.
What I meant was thats he helped me with some of hte stuff I dind't knew !

My problem right now is that I can't make tha sprites appear in the game !
How do you do that !?
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 03:42:14 pm »
Helpfile. Once again.

Ahruon

I'm living in the tree in your backyard...
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 04:26:29 pm »
  • Bring it on...
Ok !
I'll read the darn manual !
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:10 pm »
Thank God. XD

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 06:02:13 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Just a quick tip of advice: sometimes you'll have to do things you don't like. In your case, Ahruon, you said you hate reading. if you get stuck on stuff, sometimes you'll have to read to get unstuck. That is all.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 10:55:13 pm »
Look, I've been using gamemaker for around 3 years, I had to look in the manual the other day to refresh my memory on surfaces.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Zack-kun

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 04:17:06 am »
Go to Google and type in "Game Maker School" and click on the first link. It's a forum dedicated to teaching people about Game Maker. I'd link you, but I'm too lazy.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 05:29:58 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 05:47:37 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
*sigh*...

You know, instead of making this place another GMC, you could be nice enough to offer some advice other than "RTFM"...

At least be cordial about it and say "Check out the manual that comes with it, it should cover everything you need to know. If you cant find what you're looking for, feel free to ask" or something like that...

Sorry, but the general attitude towards people looking for help around here is disgusting :s

FFS The one thing I HATED about GMC when I was trying to learn GML was this sort of !@#$%, when all I was looking for was someone to just guide me through.

Have any of you ever seen a book smart programmer vs someone who has hands on knowledge? Book smart programmers are USELESS, while the ones who actually asked for help from people end up being some of the best around >_<;; You're only helping create more useless programmers by not at least offering some mentoring.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:51:35 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 05:58:08 am »
If you want to learn Game Maker, then like others have said, the manual can help you out once you want to learn more and you need general information.  There are example programs that can be found on either the Game Maker Community or by a quick search on the Internet.  I would recommend not using the drag and drop functions other than the "Execute Code" item; a good way of learning to translate the basic drag and drop functions to GML (or Game Maker Language) is to use this resource: http://home.tiscalinet.de/xception/files/ActionDecoder1.zip.  Really, while the drag and drop actions work just as good for the basics, it is better in the long run to learn GML. 

Just today I was working on a game and it was funny actually.  I even ran the game in debug mode and it said that the instance "obj_door" did not exist and this confused the hell out of me.  After all, I put it on the map.  After 30 minutes of trial and error thinking the file was somehow corrupted, it turned out that I had two nearly identical levels and I was editing the wrong one.  lol. 

If you have any questions, send me a PM or ask publicly and I will try to help you.  I have a lot of free time and I am a helpful person.  Oh, and if GML scares you, don't let it.  It was actually kind of funny when I started using it, the first GML code I ever wrote was image_speed = 0.25.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:00:04 am by 4Sword »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 06:03:09 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
If you want to learn Game Maker, then like others have said, the manual can help you out once you want to learn more and you need general information.  There are example programs that can be found on either the Game Maker Community or by a quick search on the Internet.  I would recommend not using the drag and drop functions other than the "Execute Code" item; a good way of learning to translate the basic drag and drop functions to GML (or Game Maker Language) is to use this resource: http://home.tiscalinet.de/xception/files/ActionDecoder1.zip.  Really, while the drag and drop actions work just as good for the basics, it is better in the long run to learn GML. 

Just today I was working on a game and it was funny actually.  I even ran the game in debug mode and it said that the instance "obj_door" did not exist and this confused the hell out of me.  After all, I put it on the map.  After 30 minutes of trial and error thinking the file was somehow corrupted, it turned out that I had two nearly identical levels and I was editing the wrong one.  lol. 

If you have any questions, send me a PM or ask publicly and I will try to help you.  I have a lot of free time and I am a helpful person.  Oh, and if GML scares you, don't let it.  It was actually kind of funny when I started using it, the first GML code I ever wrote was image_speed = 0.25.

I love you right now for your post, 4Sword :(

Out of all of the posters here you're the only one who's actually aiding him in the right direction
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 07:07:37 am »
I actually started by making everything with drag and drop, and slowly moving on to adding more and more code as I went along and found out what their code counterparts were. Now the only drag and drop action I use is the execute code. If you think it would be easier this way, http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=334704 and http://gamemaker.wikicomplete.info/forum/t-2064/d-d-to-gml may help you out. they basically explain the d&d equivalents in code.
And one last thing, with movement in code, zero degrees is directly right, and from there you go anticlockwise, making 90 up, 180 left, and 270 down.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 11:46:29 am »
*sigh*...

You know, instead of making this place another GMC, you could be nice enough to offer some advice other than "RTFM"...

At least be cordial about it and say "Check out the manual that comes with it, it should cover everything you need to know. If you cant find what you're looking for, feel free to ask" or something like that...

Sorry, but the general attitude towards people looking for help around here is disgusting :s

FFS The one thing I HATED about GMC when I was trying to learn GML was this sort of !@#$%, when all I was looking for was someone to just guide me through.

Have any of you ever seen a book smart programmer vs someone who has hands on knowledge? Book smart programmers are USELESS, while the ones who actually asked for help from people end up being some of the best around >_<;; You're only helping create more useless programmers by not at least offering some mentoring.

Sorry but I have to totally disagree. The best way for a complete beginner to learn anything is to read documentation with what he is using, its far better than having people attempt to mentor him, which would probably end up being a complete waste of time if they don't understand at least the basic principles of what he is using. After they have the basics, mentoring is fine, but I really don't think its something you want to do for a complete beginner.
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »
(I hate reading >:()
In that case just remove Game Maker from your computer. And delete your account here, since you have to read on a forum...

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34:41 pm »
Let's put an end to this. Anyone who isn't ACTUALLY going to help get the f*** out of this topic. It's not fair to !@#$% someone because they don't like reading.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 03:36:46 pm »
Let's put an end to this. Anyone who isn't ACTUALLY going to help get the f*** out of this topic. It's not fair to !@#$% someone because they don't like reading.
Don't speak like that to people here, and don't rend-a-mod.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2008, 03:45:38 pm »
Im sorry infini but I agree with what mamor said strongly

Sorry, but the general attitude towards people looking for help around here is disgusting

Also, what's rend-a-mod? Never heard of it.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2008, 04:14:10 pm »
Im sorry infini but I agree with what mamor said strongly

Sorry, but the general attitude towards people looking for help around here is disgusting

Also, what's rend-a-mod? Never heard of it.
Acting like a moderator without permission to do so. In this case, by telling people not to post if they don't have something good to say.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2008, 04:19:54 pm »
Ah yes...I was hoping people would think that as my opinion not a command. Sorry guys.
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 77 queries.