Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thematic Original Music Competition - TOMC #1  (Read 6631 times)

Thematic Original Music Competition - TOMC #1
« on: June 07, 2007, 01:05:07 am »
Thematic Original Music Competition
As several users have expressed a desire for a music competition on ZFGC, I figured why not take advantage of the summer holidays to hold the competition.

What is it?
The thematic original music competition is an idea I borrowed from the OCRemix forums. Basically, contestants get a description of a situation or story that could be found in a video game, movie, book, etc. Contestants then write an original piece of music to fit the story. While some competitions have certain guidelines or rules to follow, being as this is the first TOMC here at ZFGC, it'll be more lenient.

Categories
Low-Fi: MIDI, Chiptunes, NES, etc. This is set up for people who do not have access to higher end programs such as FL Studio, Reason, Logic, Cubase, or other more advanced sound libraries. You are free to submit your songs without the sound quality being a factor in the judging.
Hi-Fi: This is set up for people who have access to higher quality sounds, and would like their work judged on things such as production quality, sound quality, etc.
These two categories will be separate from each other so as to be fair to both groups of people.

Themes
While normally in a typical TOMC there is only one theme to pick from, considering we have both a smaller amount of composers here, and that this is the first TOMC at ZFGC, I will allow for multiple themes to choose from. Both categories are free to pick from these themes. When you write your song, while it's not necessary, feel free to supply the ending or outcome of the story you chose.
1. The Inn
Your party, weary from having defeated a great evil, seeks shelter for the night. In the distance you spot a village. With a hazy mind, you slowly make your way towards the village. As you approach, you begin to feel drawn to the village. Someone calls your name. As you pass through the gates, you begin to feel a growing feel sense of dread.  Now inside the village, you realize in horror your mistake, but are unable to save yourselves...
2. The Mountain
You reached the Second Base Camp late last night. The air is thin and the wind is cold, but it's all worth it. The land pans out beneath you for miles; you can barely see the villages below you. It's time to start climbing. You gather up your gear, secure your harness, and start to climb. At an altitude this unforgiving, one small mistake could be the end. As you climb, you hear the grinding of ice and a yell...
3. Sunrise
You wake up with a yawn, as the sun crawls over the horizon, painting the landscape in a warm, orange tone...

Obviously with these themes there are varying degrees to which you can be creative. For example the first and second are rather specific, while the third is totally up to you - are you waking up to a cup of coffee, a cabin in the woods, or a battlefield? Feel free to be creative when writing the music.

Signup
1. FlashGX: Hi-Fi: The Inn
2. Confused_Gamer: Lo-Fi: Sunrise
3. Sjegtp: Lo-Fi: Sunrise
4. Dayjo: Hi-Fi: The Mountain
5. Uma: Hi-Fi: The Mountain
6. Gonzo: Hi-Fi: The Mountain
7. Obsequious Eye: Lo-Fi: Sunrise
8. Scooternew: Hi-Fi: Sunrise

You will be able to sign up until the 10th of June, at 12:00 AM Midnight CST. When signing up, please let me know which category, and theme you want.

Prize
"If ever a challenger wins over a fellow competitor, he or she will gain the people's ovation and fame forever" ... well, almost. Actually, there isn't a whole lot that can be offered, but if you happen to think of something, post it and I'll consider it.

Voting
Voting will take place in a series of polls. There will be the two categories being judged separately from themselves, for sound quality reasons stated above. If, while not likely, there are enough people, it will be even further divided into categories+themes. However, this is not likely considering we have 2 categories and 3 themes to choose from, and only a limited number of composers. Voting will take place once time for writing the music is up and all pieces are in.

Start Time and Deadline
I would request that you DO NOT start writing your songs until midnight on the 10th and signup is closed. As for a deadline, you will get up to 2 weeks - midnight on the 24th of June - depending on how fast entries come in. If all entries are received early, we will jump straight to polls.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hopefully enough people will sign up and FOLLOW THROUGH with this. Good luck to all competitors.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 08:25:53 pm by Q.K. »
Re: Thematic Original Music Competition - TOMC #...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:51:02 am »
  • =/
 Will you be entering this competition? If not, you could always write the winner a song for their game/project/enjoyment/etc. For anyone thinking that I am retarded right now (Considering this is a MUSIC WRITING competition.), listen to QK's music.

uma

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:12 am »
  • Ghosts can have Aliens too you know.
Your forgetting the forest theme!

Anyways, sign me up. I'll love to do this! Maybe the sunrise theme... I'm feelin' that one.
Ghosts of Aliens
Entire project progress: About 20%

My FurAffinity!
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/umathefurry/
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 04:00:21 am »
@Piers: Considering it's a music competition, I didn't want to offer up well... more music as the prize :P
@Uma: Ok, you can enter, but do you want low-fi or hi-fi category?

uma

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 05:11:45 am »
Well, the problem is I have FL Studio, Fruity Loops edition... but I don't have that many high quality samples. Like, I have some soundfonts and stuff, but my soundfont plugin is only a demo and won't let me save with any channels that have that in it. I mean, I could just replace it with a sampler channel and change it when I export it to mp3... but it just gets annoying after a while.

Plus, my soundfonts are horse s*it compared to yours... heh, no pun intended. Anyways, maybe you should provide some kind of sample pack? Its not problem for me, I have really fast internet. But you probably won't do it seeing as how you probably paid money for them...

I hate people with money sometimes!  :-[ :P You probably also use somekind of magical plug-in that if I wanted to buy or use it it would cost me like $200 like sytrus... which I have no intent on buying until I have a lot of money obviously.
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 05:39:39 am »
About 99% of my music is done with completely free sounds, excluding FL Studio itself :P I have a sample CD with some ethnic samples that I bought a while back, but I rarely use it. I'll upload a zip with my favourite soundfonts later.

Also, while I do use the Fruity Soundfont Loader, you can use http://www.kvraudio.com/get/769.html which is free and lets you loads soundfonts in FL just fine.

Anyways, I'll upload those soundfonts, then you let me know which category you want.

As a side note, I don't always use just soundfonts. VSTs are really important due to their more customizable sound. I reccomend Protoplasm for synths/pads and the Kong Audio demos. You can get some really decent free demo versions of ethnic percussion, an erhu, and a dizi. Just search kvr for some really decent free VSTs and whatnot. As for effects... well, the reverb plugin Ambience is really nice, and MDA has a great set of well, basically every effect you could want.

A little while later: http://www.binaryphoenix.com/projects/Music/Soundfonts.zip Ok so it turns out I had to cut a lot of really decent soundfonts from there or it would reach a couple hundred Mb (My whole soundfont collection is like 400-500 Mb) so I put out some decent smaller soundfonts. Look into Squidfont Orchestral, and Chaos Bank though.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:03 am »
  • hungry..
If you didnt want people to start before a certain date, you shouldn't have put the criteria :P, anyway, I guess I'll join, not sure what category yet.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:25:17 am by Dayjo »
  • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 11:45:18 am »
  • Fendez Coder
Sunrise....i can't make my mind up between lo and hi...no i'll go lo-fi....

so yeh, Sunrise, Lo-Fi...sign me up :D

and i won't start yet, I have too many exams -_-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 02:17:52 pm by CoNfUsEd_GaMeR »

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:32 am »
I was going to create that topic today XD But with different rules. It was going to be free theme, MIDI-only and with a completely different bureaucracy.

But anyway, I'll enter this one. I'll do a MIDI, but haven't chosen the theme yet... I'll post it later.

EDIT: I'll do all themes
EDIT 2: Sorry, I guess I didn't understand the rules very well... Can I choose more than one theme?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:20:06 pm by sjegtp »

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 01:07:34 pm »
  • hungry..
I was going to create that topic today XD But with different rules. It was going to be free theme, MIDI-only and with a completely different bureaucracy.

But anyway, I'll enter this one. I'll do a MIDI, but haven't chosen the theme yet... I'll post it later.

EDIT: I'll do all themes
EDIT 2: Sorry, I guess I didn't understand the rules very well... Can I choose more than one theme?
As far as i'm aware you choose one theme. One entry per contestant.
  • My Blog

uma

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 01:23:01 pm »
About 99% of my music is done with completely free sounds, excluding FL Studio itself :P I have a sample CD with some ethnic samples that I bought a while back, but I rarely use it. I'll upload a zip with my favourite soundfonts later.

Also, while I do use the Fruity Soundfont Loader, you can use http://www.kvraudio.com/get/769.html which is free and lets you loads soundfonts in FL just fine.

Anyways, I'll upload those soundfonts, then you let me know which category you want.

As a side note, I don't always use just soundfonts. VSTs are really important due to their more customizable sound. I reccomend Protoplasm for synths/pads and the Kong Audio demos. You can get some really decent free demo versions of ethnic percussion, an erhu, and a dizi. Just search kvr for some really decent free VSTs and whatnot. As for effects... well, the reverb plugin Ambience is really nice, and MDA has a great set of well, basically every effect you could want.

I M GOD

Yes. Yes you are. Thank you! I have squidfont, but I don't have Chaos Bank... sounds... chaotic  :P! These will come in handy for both this competition, and later on... I'm not really familiar with effects though. Maybe I'll look up some tutorials...

And thanks for the soundfont loader! Seriously, I didn't think you could find that kind of free stuff on KVR. Maybe I just don't look hard enough...

Edit: "Unexpected end of archive"... it didn't let me unzip it. I'm using winrar, but I don't think thats the problem...

Oh and when I tried to unzip it, is said "The archive either in unknown format or damaged".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:33:38 pm by uma »
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 01:27:02 pm »
I could compose the three themes well... Each theme has its pros and cons...
I think I'll do the sunrise one...

ok I'll do the sunrise one. But QK, if it is allowed to do more than one theme, please tell me because I'd prefer to do them all.

EDIT: OK, I'll definitely do the sunrise theme, 'cause I just had an amazing idea for this theme.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 01:56:24 pm by sjegtp »
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 01:36:03 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
It's quite open to interpretation anyway, you could choose the one main theme and include stuff based on the other themes, but the beautiful thing is, people could invent other applications of your music (the parts based on the other 2 themes) to the given theme....

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 01:41:54 pm »
  • hungry..
I think the point of there being three themes, is to so that there's some kind of basis on how to judge the work, if it 'feels' and sounds like it fits the situation you've chosen etc.
  • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 05:52:24 pm »
Yeah, I'm not really being too strict about this competition, I mean there's no significant prize or anything to be gained, so the honour system is good enough for now.

Also, just one theme per contestant.

@uma: I downloaded and unzipped it and it works fine. It might be a problem on your end, I don't know. Try downloading it again. Also, let me know what category you will do, hi-fi or lo-fi. Sunrise, right?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:58:12 pm by Q.K. »

uma

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 09:00:39 pm »
Yeah, it probably was something with me... I'm re DL'ing now. Thanks again! I'll do sunrise, Hi-Fi, now that I can save stuff with soundfonts in them. I'm so happy!  XD XD XD

Edit: Hmm... I see you took most of those instruments from the tgsf21x soundfont. Harp and piano I think... right? Anyways, its all good. These are useful anyways because now I won't have to load in like some 30 meg soundfont. It takes not that long, but the wait is inconveneint sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 09:05:35 pm by uma »
Ghosts of Aliens

My FurAffinity!
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 09:20:18 pm »
cool
hi-fi
mountain
sorry but if im gonna do this too, with my limited time our duel have to be delayed...
because mountain music is my specialty =)

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit

Obsequious Eye

King of Glass
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 10:36:58 pm »
  • Yes, I am mocking you
I'll join, not sure about the catagory yet, though.
Low-Fi.
I'm watching you...
  • Omniscient Eye
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2007, 03:51:54 pm »
I'm not sure I will have time to make one, so I'm still considering entering.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »
  • hungry..
I'm not sure I will have time to make one, so I'm still considering entering.
2 weeks? c'mon man, we need you!

BTW, I'll be Hi-Fi and The Mountain (I think)
  • My Blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 73 queries.

anything