Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project of the Month - November 2010  (Read 3094 times)

Project of the Month - November 2010
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
Project of the Month: November 2010
The legend of Zelda: Chiming Bell

Forum Topic

Developer: King Tetiro

Language: Gamemaker 8.0
First Posted: 10 October, 2010
Last Update: 14 November, 2010

Interview:

Q: Could you tell us a little about your previous experience creating games?

A: Well seeing as half of my game developing experience has been here, Im going to say that I've been working on Fangames. First attempt was meant to be about two worlds tied together by the fabric of magic itself which became threatened when Ganondorf acquired the magic mirror. This attempt died (This was actually my first game). The second attempt is Chiming Bell (first version). And the third is the second version of Chiming Bell. As for the other half of my experiences, me and my team have been developing RPGs. Although we have nothing finished to show, we are always improving them. We've fully completed redesigning the stories and the world itself. The graphics are getting a MAJOR upgrade. Something I wanted for a long time.

Q: What was your drive to create this particular fangame and story?

A: Well that's pretty simple by defining what the game's about. It will show the true colours of the triforce by the end of it.
(Plus I owe it to ZFGC to make 1 fan game with my GM skills now)

Q: Was the use of gamemaker a natural step for you?

A: All those years ago, nope. Now, too damn easy. Good thing Im learning C++ as a challenge (Stuck on an error but waiting til next year to solve it). Im thinking of trying GM's 3D one more time before I consider C++ as my permanent language.

Q: You obviously spend a good deal of time into the project already. Can you describe some of the challenges you've had to tackle to come to this point?

A: Well the most noticable is how to compact the sheer size of the OOT hyrule into GB style. It wasn't easy but I think its done alright. Another problem was getting the damage collision script working. Something wouldnt work properly there til I looked at it another way. The hugest screamer was the pit collision script. I whacked my head on the table once. That hurt. The rest were teeny tiny factors like "calls the wrong variable" or "uses the wrong function" errors. So apart from those 3, pretty easy.

Q: What can you tell us about the new items you are adding? Was it hard to come up with original ideas?

A: Well let's start with the Spring. This idea came from this video (Notice the keyblade front flip attack)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7L0Gmc-VXc (Watch from 2:00 onwards) and the Roc's Feather. I thought it was high time to make a jump that can stun. So the idea of a Spring came to mind. And once I finished the overworld, the Spring will be upgraded to have movement too.

The next is the Gravity Boots. I loved the Hover Boots as a kid. I almost always wore them on OOT. Thing I wished it had was permanent use. Though there had to be a limit to it. So thinking about it like that, I looked at the Hookshot in LTTP and how it's 4 way direction limited it. I used that and activation pads to limit the boots.

The Wingshot is up next. Four words explain what I wanted. Hylian Styled Machine Gun. Yup a Machine Gun. But of course, getting that into a game would be hard. At first, it was meant to be Rito Styled Machine Gun in the first version but as time progress turned to Hylian. I used the Hookshot as the basics for this as for it to be able to power a chain and drag Link from one place to another must be powerful enough to fire rapid knives. That's the Wingshot basics. Still pending whether to make it have limited ammo.

Finally is the Spinner. The problem I found in ALL the 2D zeldas was the time it took to travel the lands. I thought about this for a while. My first attempt tried a horse system to make it work but that failed due to "How to summon the horse" problem. I thought about this and realised it had to be an item. Something like the Bunny Hood (Best item ever! Makes you fast and an outfit for easter!) Now I liked the Spinner except like the Hover Boots, the not permanent thing. Hence the Spinner!

Q: Is there any way for others to help you with your project if they wish to do so?

A: Well at this moment in time, Im needing the sounds from the Spirit Train, the Spinner when attached to the wall, both in GB style. I also need help with thinking up puzzles. So puzzle ideas are appreciated.

Q: Do you have any advice for others who also wish to create a (fan)game?

A: Just keep at it. If someone knocks you down, get up and move on. And put your effort in it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 38 queries.