Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Series In Review: Halo  (Read 2390 times)

A Series In Review: Halo
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:06:37 pm »
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/ZServ/a-series-in-review-halo-34670.phtml

Halo: Combat Evolved was a launch title for Microsoft's XBox, and was a surprise hit. While praised for its multiplayer, many people seem to see it as over-rated. Halo was not the first game to use dual stick's for aiming and moving, but was certainly the first game to master it. The sensitivity controls let everybody have it just as they liked; not to mention the placement of the controls just feels natural. The gameplay itself was decent; the HUD was pretty generic, and was badly placed IMO.

The health bar always seemed to be in a bad place to me, but maybe thats just me. The campaign itself, while having a good story, was lacking. It never told you to go, and you would randomly walk halfway around Halo trying to figure out where to go. The games also didn't explain how Master Chief became a Spartan, which would later be filled in during the books. The lack of online in Halo 1 dissapointed many because of the multiplayer function, but Live had not been launched yet.
People eventually hacked the game to allow online, but until then, people just had to have mass amounts of people at their house. In many cases, people say the multiplayer was the best part of Halo; an opinion I agree with. The multiplayer is fun not because you're 'owning noobs' or 'shooting the !@#$% out of things', but because of the challenge. It was fun because instead of fighting another damned computer, you're fighting someone with a brain (well, usually). Computers will always have the same faults in a game, but a human can learn your strategy. It makes you have to adapt to the situation. You cant really have to adapt that quickly in anything less then Man Vs. Wild style, and I don't feel like going Bear Grylls Right now.

Halo 2 fixed alot of the problems of Halo 1; mostly the HUD.

As you can see, they fixed alot of problems with the grenades, and the placement of the health bar. However, not everything was fixed. Like Halo 1, the campaign still was boring. The story was good, but the wandering around Earth? No thanks. Now with online multiplayer, the game became a huge phenomenon for online gamers. With the ranking system it made it easy to improve, and to still have fun. Multiplayer still isn't perfect, but its quite fun.

So, the overall question is, is Halo over-rated? Of course it is, to a point. Mostly because alot of Microsoft fans like Halo, and try to spread it because they think its fun. This makes the owners of other systems angry because they see it as "My games better then yours", but thats when we say STFUAJPG. M I RITE? Overall; Halo's not overrated by the fans. Halo's overrated by the haters. Think i'm wrong? Wait for the comments for this to come in.
[...The mystery of wireless, revealed...]

[...Ninjas...]
Re: A Series In Review: Halo
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:17:54 pm »
Wait, he lists the bad points of halo and then says that its only overrated in the eyes of the haters?

Taking  into consideration the only good thing to come of Halo was the online Multiplayer feature, Halo isn't all that good at all. (I <3 Halo 2s Multiplayer :D)

Halo's overrated by the haters. Think i'm wrong? Wait for the comments for this to come in.

I hate it when people end there rants with that. Because then when someone doe make an argument against it it leaves fanboys the chance to say, 'Your just a Halo Hater'.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:29:56 pm »
Halo isnt over-rated in itself; people say it sucks, and its over-rated. they never say its fun and over-rated. The multiplayer was so worth the 50 bucks alone IMO.

[...Ninjas...]
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:34:37 pm »
Halo isnt over-rated in itself; people say it sucks, and its over-rated. they never say its fun and over-rated. The multiplayer was so worth the 50 bucks alone IMO.

Agree'd

Storyline was boring, and I never did complete Halo 2, but the Online was worth it.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »
Well the whole Halo serie is just overated! People act like it's one of the best shooters ever made. While it's defenitly not that way. Don't get me wrong I own Halo I & II and I really love the Halo serie. But it's just overated. Oh well who cares just play the !@#$% games or don't.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:28 pm »
  • Oh.
Agreed.  Half Life 2 is underrated if you ask me.  I think Half Life 2 should be up there in the publicity spotlight where Halo is.
Hm.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:56:40 pm »
Agreed.  Half Life 2 is underrated if you ask me.  I think Half Life 2 should be up there in the publicity spotlight where Halo is.
Yeah! the half-life serie is better!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:58:44 pm »
  • Surpass the impossible & kick reason to the curb!
That reviewer oughta get some psychological help.  Anyone who prefers a broken game with no skill involved is obviously suffering from some severe complex.  And LMAO fixed grenades.  Halo 2 created more problems than it fixed, like 800:1.  I'm not trying to turn this into a Halo 1 vs. 2 debate, but I urge people to look at the facts.  Besides, most people praise Halo 2 for the online.  Everyone always LOVES the online.  That's the only reason I ever hear about why people like the multiplayer in the second better, not the actual game itself.

I tend not to listen to why "Halo's overrated" because in all truth, it wouldn't be popular unless Microsoft had it as a launch game and marketed the !@#$% out of it.  I look at Halo as a cult game because it's the REAL fans of Halo that played it for what it was, not the passe FPS players who looked at it as "fuckin awsum game with guns n !@#$%" and then played the next thing when it came out.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.
  • Exploding Foot Studios
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 06:13:21 pm »
Halo is definitely one of the best FPS out there, It has a great story, great atmosphere, it's just a really good game.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 12:29:39 am »
That reviewer oughta get some psychological help.  Anyone who prefers a broken game with no skill involved is obviously suffering from some severe complex.  And LMAO fixed grenades.  Halo 2 created more problems than it fixed, like 800:1.  I'm not trying to turn this into a Halo 1 vs. 2 debate, but I urge people to look at the facts.  Besides, most people praise Halo 2 for the online.  Everyone always LOVES the online.  That's the only reason I ever hear about why people like the multiplayer in the second better, not the actual game itself.

I tend not to listen to why "Halo's overrated" because in all truth, it wouldn't be popular unless Microsoft had it as a launch game and marketed the !@#$% out of it.  I look at Halo as a cult game because it's the REAL fans of Halo that played it for what it was, not the passe FPS players who looked at it as "fuckin awsum game with guns n !@#$%" and then played the next thing when it came out.

Uh, that was my review, silly. Nice ;D

[...Ninjas...]
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
I wounder why they would want to review a series with 20475 individual reviews out on the internet already?
Honestly.
Anyway, it´s true that the people that say Halo is overrated are the haters; they hate it because it´s so fuckin´overrated.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 06:50:18 pm »
I wounder why they would want to review a series with 20475 individual reviews out on the internet already?
Honestly.
Anyway, it´s true that the people that say Halo is overrated are the haters; they hate it because it´s so fuckin´overrated.

Is it me or did that last sentence contradict itself.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 06:59:08 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
No, it didn´t. I´m saying that people that hate the game, the people who say it is overrated, hate the game BECAUSE it is overrated. Get what I´m saying?
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 07:11:31 pm »
No, it didn´t. I´m saying that people that hate the game, the people who say it is overrated, hate the game BECAUSE it is overrated. Get what I´m saying?

Ah, yes. Sorry, misunderstood you then.
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 07:46:11 pm »
It's overrated, but not bad. I think multiplayer's too hard, but really anything since DOOM II is too :P. But that's because I suck with WASD + mouse...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 10:51:14 pm »
  • MetalRidley was here
I hate it and think it's overrated, but mostly because everytime I've played it with 4 or more people someone in the group began losing and started throwing a whiny !@#$% fit, then whoever was beating them threw it in their face and blah blah blah. It seems to turn people against each other :P

Plus, whenever I try playing just for fun I get owned. I played my neighbor and the score was -3 to 25 (but then we played wii golf and the scores were exactly the same :D).

I'm not trying to flame or anything, I'm just saying I don't like it myself.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 01:22:37 am »
I think Halo/Halo 2 had interesting campaigns (not spectacular) and great multiplayer (and online play), but yes, it's overrated because it was a GREAT launch title for the xbox and sold outstanding numbers. I mean come on, a new console with a graphically amazing title, everybody had to get it.

But I play Halo 2 multiplayer very in depth because it's great if you know how to play ;)
the a o d c
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 01:28:22 am »
  • =/
 Like I've said before, it isn't that it is overrated, it is because so many games have what Halo originally started. If you had played Halo the day (Maybe even a year.) after it was released, you all would see it in a totally different way. Like I do.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 03:40:00 am »
  • Surpass the impossible & kick reason to the curb!
Uh, that was my review, silly. Nice ;D

Lawl.  *embarassed*

It's overrated, but not bad. I think multiplayer's too hard, but really anything since DOOM II is too :P.

Doom II is hard as hell.  Not enough ammo and too many Arachnotrons.

Speaking of which, Doom is still > all games.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.
  • Exploding Foot Studios
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 08:14:44 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I actually loved Halo's story and NEVER got lost (except when tyring to follow the DAMNED floating robot while being over run by the flood)...maybe I'm just smarter than everyone else :D Then again I've always been a sucker for a good story you have to dig and actually think about to find. Having the story just shoved in front of you is so...boring...

Also the HUD was perfectly fine for me. You want to see a REAL annoying HUD, play Oblivion. Luckily I've managed to mod and fix that :D

Halo 2 was a complete failure in my eyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 74 queries.

anything