Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Recruiting) Spriters, Tileset artists: Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Fantasy Remake  (Read 8950 times)

(Recruiting) Spriters, Tileset artists: Legend o...
« on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:24 pm »
Hi there all! I've recently begun work on a remake of the original NES LoZ games. It sounds like a big task but I've already got the engine finished, just some minor tweaks and bug-fixes to go, and I've started on the Overworld.
The Overworld is 3x the size of the original LoZ's and features some nifty extras such as Heart Pieces to find and such.
Although I do like spriting, it really isn't one of my strong points and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping out on a project like this.

My intent is to create the game as it might have been if it were released at a later time, or was lucky enough to get a do-over of the likes Pokemon has experienced, but then add to that and make it something more enjoyable.

Here is a video showing some of my progress:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpYtCjM6As" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpYtCjM6As</a>

I'm looking for spriters able to reimagine the old enemies that never got updated sprites, I'm looking for tileset artists who will be willing to help follow my idea for this South-Western corner of Hyrule and are willing to discuss their ideas and opinions with me.

Either way I'm going to keep up with this as long as I can alone, though some help will speed things up considerably. ^_^

Tilesets needed:
Beach Tileset
Desert Tileset

Thanks in advance! ^_^
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:46:04 pm by Okamikurainya »
Re: (Recruiting) Spriters, Tileset artists: Lege...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:03 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
This actually sounds like a really cool idea!  Unfortunately I am not much of a spriter, but I do have some suggestions based on the video.  I really like the color, and immersive feel that those graphics can bring to the LOZ storyline.  Here are a few constructive bits of feedback.

-  Link moves really slow.  He should be moving like 2x faster or even more.  It is hard to play games when you don't feel like you are going anywhere.   :)

-  It seems strange to play the enemy hit sound effect when cutting down grass and bushes.  All it needs is the bush sound effect.  Also some of the sound effects seem too loud and overpowering (The enemy hit sound effect in particular).

-  When entering and leaving a cave it would make more sense to wait to change the music until you actually start in the next room the same way you do when switching between world maps.

-  This one is more of a personal preference, but I always like to be able to bounce rocks back at Octorks with my shield.  Makes me feel more involved in the game.  Obviously the original LOZ didn't do this though so it depends on how closely to the original you want to stick.

Overall I think the looks like a good start, and the things I mentioned are all pretty easy fixes.  Keep up the good work!   ;)

Also.  Welcome to ZFGC!

Koh

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:17:34 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
First of all, I want to say good luck on getting this finished.  But now, for the critiquing.

-Everything mentioned by Aero.
-Everything seems to move a bit sluggish.
-The textbox text seems to dynamically wrap in the textbox (AKA you can see the words that can't fit on the same line jump down to the next line) instead of having that taken care of before the text is drawn.
-The shadow below Link is drawn too far down.
-Some of Link's animation frames don't seem to be aligned properly.
-Isn't the tall grass supposed to "connect" better?  It looks like a bunch of random grass blocks put together.
-Why does everyone use the Minish Cap/Four Swords graphics?  Can't we get something a bit more original and/or not so overused?
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »
-  Link moves really slow.  He should be moving like 2x faster or even more.  It is hard to play games when you don't feel like you are going anywhere.   :)

I was worried about this... I originally had him move twice the speed he moves at now, while slowing down to his current pace when he had the shield out, but having him move faster made him feel "unrealistic", if you understand what I mean? But then again, this is a game and not reality so maybe it would be better... Or perhaps even having "Pegasus Boots" obtainable early on which act as a hold this button to run, similar to the Pokemon game remakes?

-  It seems strange to play the enemy hit sound effect when cutting down grass and bushes.  All it needs is the bush sound effect.  Also some of the sound effects seem too loud and overpowering (The enemy hit sound effect in particular).

Heh... That's actually a mistake that I overlooked. The grass was originally rewritten from the enemy code and I forgot to take it out, this has been fixed.  :-[

-  When entering and leaving a cave it would make more sense to wait to change the music until you actually start in the next room the same way you do when switching between world maps.

Thanks for that, I seem to have overlooked that as well, tis fixed.

-  This one is more of a personal preference, but I always like to be able to bounce rocks back at Octorks with my shield.  Makes me feel more involved in the game.  Obviously the original LOZ didn't do this though so it depends on how closely to the original you want to stick.

I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible in terms of how Link interacts with the enemies, but perhaps maybe making that a benefit of a future shield?
Show content
I have plans on adding the Saria region to the North-West eventually as a bonus for completing the game with some extra dungeons and a story based off of a plotline used in the comics, maybe a new shield can be found around there?

Overall I think the looks like a good start, and the things I mentioned are all pretty easy fixes.  Keep up the good work!   ;)

Also.  Welcome to ZFGC!

Thanks! :D

First of all, I want to say good luck on getting this finished.  But now, for the critiquing.

Thank you! :)

-Everything mentioned by Aero.

Agreed.

-Everything seems to move a bit sluggish.

This is to blame on Fraps, or my PC being slow on the recording. The game itself runs at a smooth 30fps and the transitions are a lot smoother.

-The textbox text seems to dynamically wrap in the textbox (AKA you can see the words that can't fit on the same line jump down to the next line) instead of having that taken care of before the text is drawn.

This I'll have to look into, will see what I can do.

-The shadow below Link is drawn too far down.

Hmmm... I guess. Now that you mention it, it makes Link stand out a bit too much. Fixed!

-Some of Link's animation frames don't seem to be aligned properly.

Been trying my best with this, which frames have you noticed?

-Isn't the tall grass supposed to "connect" better?  It looks like a bunch of random grass blocks put together.

Will see what I can do with this, shouldn't be too hard to code in detection of tall grass nearby and changing the sprite to match up accordingly.

-Why does everyone use the Minish Cap/Four Swords graphics?  Can't we get something a bit more original and/or not so overused?

I personally thought there was a lack of this...  :o
And anyhow, tis a pretty style and suits the game just right IMO. ^_^

Edit:
How's this for the shadow size?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:12:37 pm by Okamikurainya »
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
I was worried about this... I originally had him move twice the speed he moves at now, while slowing down to his current pace when he had the shield out, but having him move faster made him feel "unrealistic", if you understand what I mean? But then again, this is a game and not reality so maybe it would be better... Or perhaps even having "Pegasus Boots" obtainable early on which act as a hold this button to run, similar to the Pokemon game remakes?

Adjusting the speed of Links movement animation can help to make it look more natural when he walks, but I would say it is diffidently worth it in order to move at a more reasonable speed.  The Pegasus boots idea might work, but I am not sure that doing that would really add much to the game because everybody is going to want to always use them anyway, so it may as well just be built into the game to move faster.  Also since people already expect the Pegasus boots to work as an item by itself, because of every other Zelda game they have played, some people might be disappointed when it only makes them walk faster.

If you do the Pegasus boots I would suggest making the base speed faster and then making the Pegasus boots make you move even faster.  Since people like to be able to get around quickly when they need to move across the whole world map, it would be a cool item to have that is just a perk.  It could be a secret item found that is not necessary to beat the game, but something that people like to get anyway if they figure out how?  Anyway...  Nice working getting things fixed so quickly!   ;)

edit:  As a side note I thought I would mention that I like the MC/FSA graphics...  Sorry dl  XD
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:22:51 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 04:41:23 pm »

If you do the Pegasus boots I would suggest making the base speed faster and then making the Pegasus boots make you move even faster.  Since people like to be able to get around quickly when they need to move across the whole world map, it would be a cool item to have that is just a perk.  It could be a secret item found that is not necessary to beat the game, but something that people like to get anyway if they figure out how?  Anyway...  Nice working getting things fixed so quickly!   ;)

I managed to find a happy medium I think, will upload a video once I'm finished with the recent batch of changes.

On another note, this is my idea for the layout of Hyrule:

I've been using the VGMaps Minish Cap Hyrule map directly as a tileset so far but that can only get me so far...
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out with these tilesets, especially the ones that don't exist alredy.  :)
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:06:16 pm »

Some screenshots showing my start on Eagle Labyrinth.

Also, I was wondering on opinions for how Link's colour scheme should be. Link was a brunette in the original. Here's a test sprite with an attempt at remaking a Pol's Voice:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:50:39 pm by Okamikurainya »
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »
New video is new, new as you knew new:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTy38WY-W0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTy38WY-W0</a>

Still a few things to iron out but I'm getting there.
Copypasta from Youtube description:
Ok, so everything here is still WIP and subject to change but I like the direction it's going now. I got the screen transitions smooth at last, the solution was so simple that I literally facepalmed. :/
Also added in the Sword Beam and fixed up a number of things. The tall grass now conforms to whatever shape it's in, which is a nice change and I've started on the Eagle Labyrinth.

Also, this is a recruitment thread, I should try do some recruiting.  :P

For the first demo (Hyrule Field and Eagle Labyrinth) I'm going to need the help of spriters.
The sprites I'm needing are Goriyas and Aquamentus, both in Minish Cap style and at the appropriate scale.
Area decorators are also welcome, if you think you'd like to add a personal touch to a cell then I'm all for the help, each cell is being made in Tiled map editor before being imported into the game. Variation is the spice of life and I think it would really add to the Overworld.

Thanks in advance. :D
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 02:47:28 pm »
Ok, a little bit of an update...

An attempt at Digdogger, pretty much a recolor of the BS LoZ with the MC palette and a few pixel tweaks, also think I've settled on qa palette for Link.

Then a start on merging some LTTP and FSA/FSGC tiles into a new beach tileset.

I'm not so great at these things so it's taking quite long.  :(

Also, since I seem to be the only one posting here, could the mods maybe move this to the Projects section?

Anyone? It's dangerous to go alone...  :'(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:26:19 pm by Okamikurainya »
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
I never actually played the original Zelda NES, so I can't really comment much, but if it had these graphics I would probably play it ;)

It looks nice, keep up the good work. Even if few post, there are probably quite a few who follow the thread ;) (Tho progress updates in recruitment isn't the most read I guess)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:21:48 pm »
I never actually played the original Zelda NES, so I can't really comment much, but if it had these graphics I would probably play it ;)

It looks nice, keep up the good work. Even if few post, there are probably quite a few who follow the thread ;) (Tho progress updates in recruitment isn't the most read I guess)

Thanks!  :D

I'm hoping to get a demo out as soon as I'm finished with Eagle Labyrinth and will probably do the same for each dungeon as I go on.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:00 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
An attempt at Digdogger, pretty much a recolor of the BS LoZ with the MC palette and a few pixel tweaks, also think I've settled on qa palette for Link.
Ever consider revamping the GBC versions of the bosses, from Oracle of Seasons?  I think those could be manipulated more easily into TMC-style than the BSZ sprites.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »
Ever consider revamping the GBC versions of the bosses, from Oracle of Seasons?  I think those could be manipulated more easily into TMC-style than the BSZ sprites.

How is this:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:10:15 pm by Okamikurainya »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 07:00:29 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
If you could make enough animation frames for it to match the style, it could work well. 

EDIT: Actually, there may be a perspective problem when you take those legs into account.  Maybe if you edited the sprite to make it seem that Digdogger has more depth to it, it could work better.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:03:04 pm by Miles07 »
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 01:54:31 pm »
Indeed...
How about this:
I suck at animation though so this is pretty much as far as I can go with it. T_T

Also:

Beach tileset ingame, shells borrowed from the Vortex of Heights Zoraland/ underwater tileset.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:13:14 pm by Okamikurainya »
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
I think that looks really good!  Your work shows promise for sure!   ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 70 queries.

anything