Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda (Remake)  (Read 7118 times)

[Demo] The Legend of Zelda (Remake)
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:13:55 pm »
  • d(-_-)b
Goal
I was trying to create something original but then I decided to start with something more simple. My goal it's to remake the 1st The Legend of Zelda using the Minish Cap style, rebuilding the dungeons and including some new features, items and quests to make the game even more fun!

Story
A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was being handed down from generation to generation, the legend of the 'Triforce'; golden triangles possessing mystical powers.

One day, an evil army attacked this peaceful little kingdom after he stole the Triforce of Power. This army was led by Ganon, the powerful Prince of Darkness who sought to plunge the World into fear and darkness under his rule. Fearing his wicked rule, Zelda, the princess of this kingdom, split up the Triforce of Wisdom into eight fragments and hid them throughout the realm to save the last remaining Triforce from the clutches of the evil Ganon. At the same time, she commanded her most trustworthy nursemaid, Impa, to secretly escape into the land and go find a man with enough courage to destroy the evil Ganon. Upon hearing this, Ganon grew angry, imprisoned the princess, and sent out a party in search of Impa.

Braving forests and mountains, Impa fled for her life from her pursuers. As she reached the very limit of her energy she found herself surrounded by Ganon's evil henchmen. Cornered! What could she do? ... But wait!

All was not lost. A young lad appeared. He skilfully drove off Ganon's henchmen, and saved Impa from a fate worse than death. His name was Link. During his travels he had come across Impa and Ganon's henchmen. Impa told Link the whole story of the princess Zelda and the evil Ganon. Burning with a sense of justice, Link resolved to save Zelda, but Ganon was a powerful opponent. He held the Triforce of Power. And so, in order to fight off Ganon, Link had to bring the scattered eight fragments of the Triforce of Wisdom together to rebuild the mystical Triangle.

If he couldn't do this, there would be no chance Link could fight his way into Death Mountain where Ganon lived. Can Link really destroy Ganon and save the Princess Zelda? Only your skill can answer that question. Good luck. Use the Triforce wisely.

Screenshots

Progress
Engine: 22%
HUD: 0%
AI: 5%
Maps: 1%
Quests: 0%
* Press F1 for help and commands.

Downloads
Demo v2

Credits
Freki, programmer
HelpTheWretched, sounds
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:50:02 pm by Freki »
Re: [Demo] The Legend of Zelda (Remake)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
The items work fine i guess, but why don't the bombs destroy the bushes like the lamp does?

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »
  • d(-_-)b
The items work fine i guess, but why don't the bombs destroy the bushes like the lamp does?

That's because I need to redo a part of my code first, otherwise it will be just a waste of time for me to do the same thing twice. If you put a bomb next to a bush and then try to burn it, you will see that it will not be burned because Link is also colliding with the bomb.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:48:25 pm »
  • d(-_-)b
Finally I got some time to update this.

Update:
- Fixed the lift and throw.
- Bomb and Remote Bomb now blow up stuffs and damage Link.
- Visible obstacles now create a tile when created and destroyed.
- Pegasus Boots improved.
- Small Shield add.
- Same sounds don't play at same time now.

There's also a new demo.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:07:18 am »
Great engine so far. After testing it a little, I found these issues:

- You can't activate certain items while moving, that you should be able to activate. Like the magic rod, shield, and boots.
- Damaging yourself with a bomb can get you through walls.
- Walls stop projectiles when Link is at higher level of ground.

Like the attention to detail like the shrub bouncing when Link carries it. Just like the original. Keep it up.
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:16:38 am »
Looks really well done. Walking up to things and burning them automaticly for instance is one of those nicely worked out details.

Two things that I noticed:
- The screen lost focus for a second at the start. Just once and not too noticable. Did you check the option to prevent this?
- When I walk around with the lantern the flame has a delay as opposed to the lantern itself. I haven't played the original so I can't tell if this done deliberate. Looks a little weird seeing the flame outside of the lantern.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 08:19:37 am »
You have a bug in which sprite to show when walking.

If you hold down left then press and hold up, then let go of left while pressing right while still holding up, Link's left facing sprite will stay.
I can post screenshots if needed.  I had Link doing the moonwalk across the room.

Same applies to going right as well.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:43:24 am »
Great engine so far. After testing it a little, I found these issues:

- You can't activate certain items while moving, that you should be able to activate. Like the magic rod, shield, and boots.

Like the attention to detail like the shrub bouncing when Link carries it. Just like the original. Keep it up.
I agree with this, also I have to add.

- The explosion of one bomb does not set of the explosion of another when they are next to each other.
- Is it correct that Link can't seem to walk through pebbels, that don't even look bigger than his feet?

Oh yeah I could do the moonwalk that TFS mentioned.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 01:33:13 pm »
  • d(-_-)b
- When I walk around with the lantern the flame has a delay as opposed to the lantern itself. I haven't played the original so I can't tell if this done deliberate. Looks a little weird seeing the flame outside of the lantern.
- The explosion of one bomb does not set of the explosion of another when they are next to each other.
- Is it correct that Link can't seem to walk through pebbels, that don't even look bigger than his feet?
All of these things are just like in the original, but I should agree that all of them are weird.

The item activation will be easy to fix, but the problem of get through walls will be more complicated.

- The screen lost focus for a second at the start. Just once and not too noticable. Did you check the option to prevent this?
Good eyes, it was caused by an old piece of code in the creation event, it's already fixed now, thanks.

You have a bug in which sprite to show when walking.

If you hold down left then press and hold up, then let go of left while pressing right while still holding up, Link's left facing sprite will stay.
I can post screenshots if needed.  I had Link doing the moonwalk across the room.

Same applies to going right as well.
I don't know yet how to fix this, because when I change something it bug other animations.

Thank you all, I will try to fix these things for the next update.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:16:36 am »
  • d(-_-)b
I lost my project, my brother doesn't make a backup of my files when I asked him to install windows 7 in my new pc. At least now I can play any game I want without any errors.

I'll start my engine again, but I'll not continue with this game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 58 queries.

anything