Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think would happen if Nintendo...  (Read 4544 times)

What do you think would happen if Nintendo...
« on: October 16, 2007, 04:13:40 am »
Okay, so what do you think would happen if Nintendo made is STRICTLY ILLEGAL and made it into a strict violation of rules to modify or create anything made by Nintendo? (Such as ripping, editng, or making any custom sprites, fanart, fangames, etc. etc.) Say that they could do something about it if you were caught  A lot of people would probably still continue making sprites and making fangames, but do you think a lot of Nintendo/Zelda-relating communities would dissapear and become more of an overall socializing place?
Hm... I should probably put something here...
Re: What do you think would happen if Nintendo.....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:24:04 am »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
Okay, so what do you think would happen if Nintendo made is STRICTLY ILLEGAL and made it into a strict violation of rules to modify or create anything made by Nintendo? (Such as ripping, editng, or making any custom sprites, fanart, fangames, etc. etc.) Say that they could do something about it if you were caught  A lot of people would probably still continue making sprites and making fangames, but do you think a lot of Nintendo/Zelda-relating communities would dissapear and become more of an overall socializing place?
They probably go down the toilet faster than any toilet on earth could flush!

I'm willing to bet that a large majority of Nintendo's customers have done or imagined doing any Nintendo fan stuff like drawing, spriteing, making fan games and to stop that would be monumentally stupid and possible would signal the end of the world because the head of Nintendo would have to be possessed or something for something as ridiculous as that to happen. 
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 05:54:05 am »
Fan forums and whatnot are free advertisement. It wouldn't make sense if they made it "strictly illegal" and I'm not sure they even could as most things would fall under fair use.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:25:24 pm »
Yeah, it wouldn't make much sense...
Also, piracy is forbidden and it exists, and you know where...
And, why the hell would they ban fan art?
I mean... I'm in a middle of a boring maths class, and I decide to take out a sheet and draw Link. Then a policeman busts into the classroom and takes me to jail... :\
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:21 pm »
I don't think much will change, it wouldn't stop me that's for sure.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
Me neither, in fact I might start printing my sprites of T-Shirts (not for sale of course) so everyone would know.
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:41:46 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Me neither, in fact I might start printing my sprites of T-Shirts (not for sale of course) so everyone would know.

you would have to have to do that yourself without contracting another company (Cafepress) to do it, in order for it to be legal :P
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:57 pm »

you would have to have to do that yourself without contracting another company (Cafepress) to do it, in order for it to be legal :P
Not really, if they are 100% his sprites and not Nintendo's.

I think that if Nintendo did those things, their fan database would shrink somewhat.  Sure, most of the people that buy Wiis are looking for quick satisfaction through mini game type entertainment.  But, people like us who preorder more hardcore games like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros., etc. might no longer do so.

I don't think Nintendo would ever make a career threatening decision such as that.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 01:13:06 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I think some people would just change the sprites and names of things and it would be PRETTY obvious they were fan games lol. But...I would probably still make them.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.

Busternaut

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:15:08 am »
My respect for Nintendo would drop....drastically.

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 01:56:08 am »
Everything you listed already is illegal. They just let us do it anyway because it's not really hurting them. If anything, stuff like this is free advertising.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 05:59:37 am »
  • I choose you, Zorua!
I'm not sure they even could as most things would fall under fair use.
Fan games do not fall under fair use. Besides, most law systems do not know a "fair use clause" so Nintendo would still be able to take legal action outside the USA.
My name is Pitt
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 06:06:14 am »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
Nintendo doesn't write the laws.
End of.
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 12:13:36 pm »
The consequences are simple:

-Nintendo would spend a lot of time and money trying to eliminate fan stuff.
-Nintendo would earn absolutely nothing by doing that.
-Nintendo would lose fans and popularity, as well as money.
-I would boycot Nintendo and incentivate all fangamers to do the same.
-Nintendo's position in the market would decrease exponentially.

EDIT: Considering that the word "Nintendo" includes Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Mother (Earthbound), Pokémon...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:16:15 pm by sjegtp »

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 02:07:42 pm »
^ Exponentially? Nah. Sony pulls that crap and the only reason they're tanking is because they lost focus with the PS3/PSP.

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 02:11:01 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Well i think if nintendo did that, their next move would be to announce they'de been bought by a different company.
And no-one owuld stop.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 04:35:14 am »
  • Unlife is not but a gift.
I doubt Nintendo would ever go to an extreme such as this. If I remember correctly, I think Sega tried to do something a few years back... That never worked. Nintendo would probably be flattered that their products have such an impact to the public, they each fan creation could be seen as a kind of tribute. 
"Zechs Reborn."
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 02:14:26 pm »
It already is "illegal".  If they decided to enforce it then I don't think anything would really happen.  It would be impossible to enforce (like stopping piracy).  But even if they managed to do it somehow, it wouldn't impact Nintendo much at all.
In general, people who make fan-art / fan-games and rip sprites / sounds, etc. only do it to games they like, not the other way around. (What would be the point in making fan art of Link if you hated the Zelda series (or if you hated Link)?  You don't like a game because you make fan-art, you make fan art because you like the game)
And if you like the game you will continue to buy / play it regardless of whether or not you are allowed to make fan-art of it (unless you're boycotting it or soemthing, but not buying a game because the maker of the game doesn't want you using their concepts in your art is a bad reason to be boycotting it).
Additionally, not all fans of a game are involved with fan-games or fan-art (a majority probably aren't).  As a matter of fact, a majority of the customers probably aren't even "fans" (as in, they aren't members of any message boards like this or anything).  So even if every fan involved with fan-art were to boycott the games then it probably wouldn't hurt Nintendo much (and if they managaed to sue a few people for thousands of dollars then it somewhat makes up for any losses).
As for message boards like this one... I'm not really sure what would happen.  They'd probably just become game-discussion / non-fan indie-game boards
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 02:34:33 pm »
It's be easy enough to make a "Belda" fan game, where "Fink" needs to run around "Lowrule" finding the "Soulful" Stones.

Actually, that's not a bad idea...
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 04:09:24 pm »
It's be easy enough to make a "Belda" fan game, where "Fink" needs to run around "Lowrule" finding the "Soulful" Stones.
ROFL XD
If the graphics and sounds were all custom Nintendo wouldn't be able to do anything about the fangame, lol. I guess I'll do that <_<
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 108 queries.