Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving Blood  (Read 3001 times)

Giving Blood
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:23:13 pm »
I dont know what it's like elsewhere in the world, but in Britain, once you turn 17 you can attend somewhere and donate your blood (you get free biscuits and drinks and stuffs in return).

So I got sent a letter today (the envelope said, and I quote, "we want your blood").

In the letter it began:

We dont pretend to understand you.
We've no idea what you like and what you dont.
But we do know you're 17 so you can now give blood.

I already knew I was old enough to give blood, some of my friends already have.
But, trouble is, the letter is wrong and I cant give blood.
I'm not heavy enough, basically. You have to weigh above a certain amount (because taking a pint of blood from you could be dangerous otherwise) and I'm under that. Not by much, though.

It makes me feel guilty when it says "you could ignore this letter or you could choose giving blood" but trust me, I dont think I could be heavier even if I ate 3 times as much as I do now.

I also heard that it's mainly women who give blood. My friends said that when they went to give blood there was only a couple of men there and the rest were female. Why is that? :S

Has anybody else given blood before or want to?
Is it different elsewhere in the world? I heard that in the USA you got paid, but I dont know if thats true?
Re: Giving Blood
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:54:05 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I'd only give blood for money... but why give blood when you can just go beat it for money?

Too bad it only applies for guys.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:55:54 pm »
  • If not now, when?
If you can't give blood then I don't think you should feel guilty about it...  :-\ I believe (don't take this for fact...) that they used to give money to people who gave blood to try to encourage more people to do it. I do not believe they do that anymore.

I'm not quite sure why I've never really thought about giving blood before... I'm not sure of my blood type or anything... I don't know... hmm.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:34:20 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Hmm, I once saw an episode of Hollyoaks (some British Soap) where they didn't let a few of the characters (namely the bisexual guy who wears a mixture of men's and women's clothes and the gay priest) give blood because they ticked the box about being male and having sexual encounters with men...

...sooo, yeah I should be able to give blood fine but if the rest of the males on ZFGC ever were to attempt it...zing!!!

Heheh, anyway...what is this weight limit thing because I only weight 8 stone 12, so that may be my excuse right there :p

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:36:32 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
The envelope said "We want your blood"? I'm pretty sure you just helped SOMEONE in resurrecting Dracula.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:43:54 pm »
  • MetalRidley was here
We have a blood drive at school one or two times every year and last spring was the first time I donated. I would definitely recommend eating a LOT before giving blood, lol I didn't and ended up passing out once I got back inside the school. It was the first time I ever got a black eye from the floor :P

And I never thought about it as a gender thing, there were always about the same number of boys and girls wearing "Got blood?" shirts.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:12:09 pm »
Heheh, anyway...what is this weight limit thing because I only weight 8 stone 12, so that may be my excuse right there :p

I'm afraid you have no excuse :P
The minimum weight is 7 stone 12 :P
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:15:33 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Damn...even if I am technically underweight (I'm 6 ft 2)?

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 08:16:24 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Might I inquire, what is this stone weight measurement? What happened to Kilograms and what have you
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19:25 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Ironically, it is America, and not England, that uses the metric system most in day-to-day life. A stone is an imperial measurement, and about...16 pounds I think.

Google says:
8 stone 12 pounds = 56.2454539 kilograms

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:24:11 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
Well, I don't use metric EVER... I just thought England did. I use pounds, but having a measurement for 16 pounds is just odd o.O I mean I could understand how that would tie in to 16 oz equaling a pound, but I dunno... 16 just doesnt go in to many numbers correctly. Oh well. I'll stick to my pounds :) I'm way too skinny to donate blood :(  135 lbs, 6'1" :((((
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
Damn...even if I am technically underweight (I'm 6 ft 2)?

I have no idea, but yes you are very light for someone who's 6ft2 tall :o

I think everyone should be donating pizzas to TDJ instead :P

mit

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 08:32:30 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Are you serious? You Americans seem to have confused yourselves with your own system.

So you understand pounds, but not stones? It's fourteen pounds to a stone, that's the way the imperial system works - you're the ones using it. o_O

And what's the deal with fluid oz and cups?

Seriously, it's like you took the imperial system and somehow made it less logical.

Ironically, it is America, and not England, that uses the metric system most in day-to-day life.
The only thing I've ever known Americans to measure in metric is engine size and coke.
We use it for just about everything, excluding miles for distance.

having a measurement for 16 pounds is just odd o.O I mean I could understand how that would tie in to 16 oz equaling a pound, but I dunno... 16 just doesnt go in to many numbers correctly.
That's the whole point of the metric system - everything is a multiple of ten. Imperial is all about base 12, 14, 16, 60 and so on. Hence why we don't use it anymore.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:51 pm »
Are you serious? You Americans seem to have confused yourselves with your own system.

So you understand pounds, but not stones? It's fourteen pounds to a stone, that's the way the imperial system works - you're the ones using it. o_O

And what's the deal with fluid oz and cups?

Seriously, it's like you took the imperial system and somehow made it less logical.

Ironically, it is America, and not England, that uses the metric system most in day-to-day life.
The only thing I've ever known Americans to measure in metric is engine size and coke.
We use it for just about everything, excluding miles for distance.

having a measurement for 16 pounds is just odd o.O I mean I could understand how that would tie in to 16 oz equaling a pound, but I dunno... 16 just doesnt go in to many numbers correctly.
That's the whole point of the metric system - everything is a multiple of ten. Imperial is all about base 12, 14, 16, 60 and so on. Hence why we don't use it anymore.

we use metric for science, both in school and in practice.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 09:11:15 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
So what does it mean when you say "7 stone 12".  Does the 12 mean 12 pounds?

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 09:36:46 pm »
  • :3
So what does it mean when you say "7 stone 12".  Does the 12 mean 12 pounds?

Yes.

Also, I may have no excuse to not give blood once I turn 17, but I'm keeping my blood in my body! The same for my organs when I die.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:41 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Why is this in the news header?
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 10:11:39 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

Because this is ZFGC.

Anyway, I'm not heavy enough to give blood.

And we don't use metrics in the US O_o not unless it's in a science field.  Although it's not that hard to convert kg to lbs.  Just multiply by 2.24.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:30 pm »
Because I'm bored :p
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:40 pm »
Also, I may have no excuse to not give blood once I turn 17, but I'm keeping my blood in my body! The same for my organs when I die.

I think giving blood is a good thing
but I'm not sure about organ doning, as I heard that if you're an organ donor and you are in an accident or something and are almost dead, emergency services wont try as hard to save you, because if you die it gives them organs to use. Sadly, there are lots of people who are in dire need of organs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 74 queries.