Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Nintendo should I get?  (Read 2422 times)

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
Which Nintendo should I get?
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:04:03 am »
  • With a Capital G
You may have seen the note on my Zelda Sounds archive that I don't own any systems from the current generation or the previous... I've been stuck in the N64 era for 10 years. Well I finally have a bit more financial stability and haven't treated myself in a LONG time, so I'm saving up and getting a new Nintendo for my birthday in a few months. Not just because I'm a Ninfanbo, but because they have the three cheapest & most appealing options.

So I need some help deciding. Seems like I've changed my mind every day.

DS looks pretty hot, and because it's handheld I may not be tempted to play it quite as much as a console. This is a good thing because I'm 32?? so I need to manage my time well. Cons are: I'm sort of bored with my Gameboy so I'll need some reminders of why the lowest current technology is still fun. Also, I'm 82?? so angling myself for the best light is not so good for the back, and I lack WiFi.

GameCube is my leading choice. Although it's 5 years old, it's still new to me so I'll enjoy it just as much as anything else. The few games I've played for brief minutes are worth salivating over. Plus, I can pick up a used one at EB for $70(CDN). Can't lose with the Cube.

Wii is the frickin' Wii. $270 (and I expect it to drop to $250 by then) is the second-biggest purchase for personal enjoyment I've made in years, but it's really not that steep. Also, for the handful of times per year I visit with my brother, he'd be most inclined to play this one with me. The downside is, I really want to start out with some GC games to catch up on that era, and the ones I want to play the most aren't really 'session' games, but longer adventure games like the Zeldas or Prince of Persias. So that extra $200 expense might not pay off for quite some time, not to mention means starting with less games, but if it's worth it then I don't mind.

Okay, now please make my decision. 8)
Re: Which Nintendo should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:22:27 am »
  • Shunner of Light
You should definetly get the Wii.  Plus, it's already backwards compatible, so I don't think there would be much of a problem if you wanted to play GC games on it(aside from getting a GC controller, and maybe a memory card).

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 03:00:44 am »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
Wii. With the backwards compatibility, it's really pointless to get a GC. And, well. . . the Wii is awesome. Simple as that.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:20:28 am »
Yes.. getting a Gamecube would be pretty pointless. New games are pretty rare since Nintendo is focusing on the DS and Wii so much right now. In most stores I've been to, they have maybe two shelves devoted to Gamecube. I'm going to say that in maybe.. five months, you'll be buying very few new and most used games. Go with a Wii. :3
  • My Photostream

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:21:43 am »
  • With a Capital G
Well I wouldn't say the GameCube is pointless. Even with a Wii, I'd be playing mostly GC games. They're all 'new' to me so it doesn't matter if they stop making them. Plus the GC saves me $200.

So I'd either need to try a Wii first or be convinced that it really is awesome enough to drop the extra cash. ....But I do want one.

Thanks for the input so far.

Mateus

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:29:43 am »
You may have seen the note on my Zelda Sounds archive that I don't own any systems from the current generation or the previous... I've been stuck in the N64 era for 10 years. Well I finally have a bit more financial stability and haven't treated myself in a LONG time, so I'm saving up and getting a new Nintendo for my birthday in a few months. Not just because I'm a Ninfanbo, but because they have the three cheapest & most appealing options.

So I need some help deciding. Seems like I've changed my mind every day.

DS looks pretty hot, and because it's handheld I may not be tempted to play it quite as much as a console. This is a good thing because I'm 32?? so I need to manage my time well. Cons are: I'm sort of bored with my Gameboy so I'll need some reminders of why the lowest current technology is still fun. Also, I'm 82?? so angling myself for the best light is not so good for the back, and I lack WiFi.

GameCube is my leading choice. Although it's 5 years old, it's still new to me so I'll enjoy it just as much as anything else. The few games I've played for brief minutes are worth salivating over. Plus, I can pick up a used one at EB for $70(CDN). Can't lose with the Cube.

Wii is the frickin' Wii. $270 (and I expect it to drop to $250 by then) is the second-biggest purchase for personal enjoyment I've made in years, but it's really not that steep. Also, for the handful of times per year I visit with my brother, he'd be most inclined to play this one with me. The downside is, I really want to start out with some GC games to catch up on that era, and the ones I want to play the most aren't really 'session' games, but longer adventure games like the Zeldas or Prince of Persias. So that extra $200 expense might not pay off for quite some time, not to mention means starting with less games, but if it's worth it then I don't mind.

Okay, now please make my decision. 8)
So are you 32 or 82...cause i'm confused...also get a ds
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 04:33:40 am »
Get the Wii, it'll save you money in the long run if you DO decide to get it.
Backwards Compatibility FTW.  ;)
  • RPG Empire
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 04:47:19 am »
between wii and GCN, I'd recommend the wii.
even if you plan on mostly playing GCN games, its worth the extra cash, and remember Nintendo said they were gonna remake certain GCN games with wii capabilities?

but between wii and DS.. I'd recommend the DS, first Im a hand held gamer, plus the DS has been out longer and theres way more games.. and if you get a flash cart like the R4.. then you've got it made

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:43:25 am »
  • With a Capital G
Woo~ more opinions to sift through! Thanks, all.

So are you 32 or 82...cause i'm confused...also get a ds
Heh. Both were gross exaggerations. But I am one of the oldest ZFGCers.

Get the Wii, it'll save you money in the long run if you DO decide to get it.
Cool, that's what I'm hoping for.

even if you plan on mostly playing GCN games, its worth the extra cash, and remember Nintendo said they were gonna remake certain GCN games with wii capabilities?
No I didn't hear that, sounds intriguing.

and if you get a flash cart
Woah nuff said there. :D
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 09:06:21 am »
Best of all the Wii is shiny. :) Plus I don't have one, think of the taunting you could do.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 11:51:00 am »
  • n___n
Well I wouldn't say the GameCube is pointless. Even with a Wii, I'd be playing mostly GC games. They're all 'new' to me so it doesn't matter if they stop making them. Plus the GC saves me $200.

So I'd either need to try a Wii first or be convinced that it really is awesome enough to drop the extra cash. ....But I do want one.

Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah, but you'll be buying a Wii eventually, right? Then just get the Wii now. You can pay 70 bucks for a Cube, or aboout 200 more for a Wii/Cube combo. Otherwise you'll spend around 350 bucks for both seperately. Even if you will be playing mainly GC games, get the Wii. Seriously, you'd be stupid NOT to get one.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 12:18:56 pm »
  • hungry..
I agree with other people here. Get a Wii, you can get GC games cheap now, so get a GC controller and you've virtually got both! :)
  • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 01:33:19 pm »
GC games are really cheap now... ;) I'm also thinking in getting, like, 10 games from GameCube...
If you can, go for the Wii, otherwise, the Cube is also an excellent choice. ;D
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:04:43 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
if you haven't got a SNES, then SNES beats them all....but I got a feeling you're decent enough to have a SNES.

I'd go GC.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 12:53:09 am »
  • :D
Definately get a gamecube.  Hell, you can get all the best games from the start, no waiting.  Plus if you're into zelda, you get Twilight Princess not backwards (wii version is flipped).  DS would also be worth it.

Wii?  It's fun, but it's all novelty, and the only good game so far is Zelda, which you can get on the GC ;)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 01:22:06 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
get the wii.  backwards compatible, ssbb, mp3, galaxies, and plus virtual console.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 05:03:02 am »
  • With a Capital G
Well I'm not into Smash Bros, never tried Metroid Prime, and probably won't play much VC...

Although there will probably be more hit games for Wii coming out soon..

Here's the plan: If things go well for me (personally speaking) over the next little while, and I accomplish everything on my daunting to-do list, then I'll adopt the GNii. If not, or if the need comes up to spend on musical equipment, or if I'm still not 100% sure it's worth the extra cash, then... I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 05:46:26 am »
  • odens knop
GameCube is a great system, my favourite actually.  Check out the games before you buy.  Get either GC or Wii.  If you figure you won't play much Wii, and just wanna "catch up" (which isn't so "just" this time :P), I'd say go with GameCube, then you can buy cheap last-gen games for 200 bucks.  Imagine 200 dollars for bargainbin games.  I'd say go Cubed.  :P  go3
|LEUS HERTAN MINAT|
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 06:00:23 am »
I'm not a big fan of the GCN. It's got a few wonderful games, but the majority of its small gaming library are pretty bad. If I were to recommend a last-gen system, I'd recommend the PS2. A great system with an extremely extensive library with abundant, high-quality games in every genre (not just my opinion, but I actually mean games that have an average rating of 8/10 and up).

But if you're going to stick with a Nintendo console (which wouldn't surprise me), do yourself a favor and get a Wii over the GCN. Then you'll have a great console that you can not only use to play the few great GCN games, but also play new Wii games and classic games on the VC.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 12:44:53 pm »
  • hungry..
I'm not a big fan of the GCN. It's got a few wonderful games, but the majority of its small gaming library are pretty bad. If I were to recommend a last-gen system, I'd recommend the PS2. A great system with an extremely extensive library with abundant, high-quality games in every genre (not just my opinion, but I actually mean games that have an average rating of 8/10 and up).

But if you're going to stick with a Nintendo console (which wouldn't surprise me), do yourself a favor and get a Wii over the GCN. Then you'll have a great console that you can not only use to play the few great GCN games, but also play new Wii games and classic games on the VC.
Seeing as the topic is "Which nintendo should I get?", I would assume so >=D.

What sound hardware are you looking to get Goodnight?
  • My Blog
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 74 queries.

anything