Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killman  (Read 1365 times)

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
Killman
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:43:09 pm »
  • With a Capital G
Killman was a game made around 2004 or so by a former ZFGC fellow and friend of mine named Ultimortal (creator of Castle of Elite, No Friction, Hero, Retrobattle, and others) and is the spiritual prequel to his current opus Iji. Killman was an action/adventure game with two levels that were single screens with multiple areas; all characters were tiny stick figures armed to the teeth. Because the sound and music was borrowed from Doom, the game was never "officially" released, and because of its primitive appearance and depth compared to Iji, there are no plans for it to ever be released.

But between friends, and as a deal to myself to get my butt in gear and practice my musical abilities, I decided to write a new soundtrack for the game so we could have a little piece of art to share. The game will probably never see the light of day around these parts, but here are the songs I wrote, for you all to hear.

Note: These are MIDI rips, that is, MIDI files played in a standard player, but recorded as waves and encoded to MP3. Two reasons for this. One - my production abilities are rather limited and I can't at this time achieve Realâ„¢ sounding music, especially with guitar-heavy songs. Two - MIDI files sound different on each sound card / OS, so I wanted to maintain the sound that I heard while creating them; my palette so to speak.

1. Killman - Title
I wrote this title track with the idea that it could double as Ending music. The guitar solo is probably my fave of the bunch, and the short riff following it is partially credited to my brother.

2. Killman - Level A
I fear this song may take a few listens to "understand", because it's a sum of many parts with a rather quick tempo. I had lots of basic ideas and partly-sequenced sections, but had trouble connecting them all into a full song. Perseverance won and brought you some cool musical treats. The chorus was the result of a few random bits of a guitar work spliced together and touched up.

3. Killman - Level B
Probably my favourite song of them all, I feel like I really kicked my sequencer's ass with this one, especially on the drums and bass. Pay attention to them, they're off the wall.

4. Killman - Results
This is the song heard after levels when your stats are being tallied up. When I showed it to Ultimortal before he knew what it was for, he said it reminded him of Doom, which I guess was the desired effect. The first 25 seconds were written years ago as a character's theme song that I never finished, so I picked it up from there.

Aw crap, I just realised that Level-start and Game Over jingles are needed. Oh well, they're short and should take no time at all.

Anyways, enjoy and feel free to feedback.
Re: Killman
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 01:16:45 am »
All of them sounded great. Level B was my favorite also.

But how do you record a MIDI as a wave? That would definitely come in handy.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 01:22:43 am »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
Cool songs :D. The title music reminded me of Vampire Killer from the Castlevania games :P. Rest is sorta Doom'y but with more beats and variety.

I </3 Sol

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 03:04:34 am »
  • With a Capital G
Glad you both liked 'em..

But how do you record a MIDI as a wave? That would definitely come in handy.
I just open up Goldwave, make a new blank sound, hit record, and press play in the MIDI sequencer. I used to have to fiddle with some settings to make it record the right channel, but with this new computer I have no such options; luckily it just works. There are probably a ton of other MIDI players that can output to wave. Some of them, like WinGroove, play the songs with their own instrument synths which may sound better or more realistic.

Cool songs :D. The title music reminded me of Vampire Killer from the Castlevania games :P.
Derp.. you're right.. I hope I didn't subconsciously copy it. >:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 42 queries.

anything