Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey  (Read 3528 times)

7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:28:40 am »
the a o d c
Re: 7 Commandments All Video Games Should Obey
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 04:02:05 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
That was pretty good until I got to number one. Screw the Wii and the DS. Just because they have shitty graphics doesn't mean their games are better.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:48 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
That was pretty good until I got to number one. Screw the Wii and the DS. Just because they have shitty graphics doesn't mean their games are better.

And just because the 360 and PS3 have amazing graphics doesn't mean their games are better.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:51:25 am »
  • :D
That article pisses me off.

GRAPHICS MATTER.  Get over it guys, it is a GRAPHICAL MEDIUM.  Videogames are not art, and never will be art until you guys get past the "LOL GAMEPLAAY ONLY! I HAT UR BROWN GAME" stage.  Photographs, paintings, movies-- they use complex lighting and color palletes, which give these peices of art atmosphere and contribute to their meaning/purpose/etc.  The games that are brown and grey are brown and grey for a reason-- its contributing to the feeling and atmosphere of the game that was intended by the creator.  They didn't want to make some silly happy game about a plumber-- they wanted to create a dark, threatening wasteland, DEAL WITH IT.  JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE PUT EFFORT INTO THE ART AND GRAPHICS OF A GAME DOES NOT MEAN TAHT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT "REALISTIC"

Sorry for the mini-rant, I'm just tired of the silly argument that graphics don't matter <_<

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:07:09 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
I never said they didn't matter. Hell, do you think I play any game I come across? First impressions count, and that's where graphics reign supreme. Delicious eye candy is one of the things I look for in a game, but it's not the only thing.

but yeah, for the most part, I'm with Limey.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 05:22:18 am »
#7.
Thou shalt let us play your game with real-life friends.

But I don't have any friends...

;_;
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:34:32 am »

GRAPHICS MATTER.  Get over it guys, it is a GRAPHICAL MEDIUM.  Videogames are not art, and never will be art until you guys get past the "LOL GAMEPLAAY ONLY! I HAT UR BROWN GAME" stage.  Photographs, paintings, movies-- they use complex lighting and color palletes, which give these peices of art atmosphere and contribute to their meaning/purpose/etc.  The games that are brown and grey are brown and grey for a reason-- its contributing to the feeling and atmosphere of the game that was intended by the creator.  They didn't want to make some silly happy game about a plumber-- they wanted to create a dark, threatening wasteland, DEAL WITH IT.  JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE PUT EFFORT INTO THE ART AND GRAPHICS OF A GAME DOES NOT MEAN TAHT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT "REALISTIC"

Sorry for the mini-rant, I'm just tired of the silly argument that graphics don't matter <_<

You're better off watching a movie than playing video games if graphics matter so much to you.  I wonder if the graphic whores would still be playing games today if they looked like they did back on the Atari or the NES.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 05:37:13 am »

You're better off watching a movie than playing video games if graphics matter so much to you.  I wonder if the graphic whores would still be playing games today if they looked like they did back on the Atari or the NES.

So I guess atari is your main console then?
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:06:11 am »

So I guess atari is your main console then?

Haven't had a chance to play any games on it.  "Bad" graphics never stopped me from playing any games before.  If graphics were a problem, there wouldn't be any Virtual Console on the Wii.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:09:20 am »

Perhaps you're just better off playing outside?
I HERD THE GRAPHIX ARE L33T.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:17 am »
they wanted to create a dark, threatening wasteland, DEAL WITH IT.  JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE PUT EFFORT INTO THE ART AND GRAPHICS OF A GAME DOES NOT MEAN TAHT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT "REALISTIC"
Honestly though we don't freaking need 300 dark threatening wastelands, I for one am I tired of dark threatening wastelands.

Obviously somethings better if they've got millions more sales then the other consoles :P
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket
  • Fictitious Spoon Productions

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:29:29 am »
Obviously somethings better if they've got millions more sales then the other consoles

They're better at appealing to the casual gaming market.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:47:09 am »
  • Silly cat!
I agree with Limey.

If games are a visual medium, and they have graphic artists, then technically games should be an art-form, like photography, traditional art, digital art, film and painting. So, therefore, graphics should matter as much as gameplay.

But, games aren't widely considered an art form. To some gamers, yeah, games are an art form. To others, and especially those who don't play games, they aren't. They're still a leisure activity, as much as board games and sports. And therefore, at this point in time, to most people, only the gameplay matters.

When the world (and even some developers) can accept games for more than what they are, a worthy medium rather than a silly pastime, the world will take graphics - and games - more seriously. On the hand, this view is improving as we speak.

Hoffy.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:20:17 am »
I'm sick and tired of graphics being the reason people buy games. Not saying that I don't really care about graphics, but I've had a lot more fun with games like portal and the like than I have with some of my friends' cutting edge graphics games on the 360.
Look at us though. Half the community are 2d game developers, and our graphics aren't top notch. Obviously a lot of us don't care a whole lot.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:27:12 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Obviously somethings better if they've got millions more sales then the other consoles :P

You can't judge a system by the the number of sales. The only thing that matters is personal taste, and I'd much rather have a PS3 than a Wii. In my opinion, the Wii only has one game that might be worth playing (Brawl) while PS3 and 360 have more games that I'd actually play.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:47 am »

You can't judge a system by the the number of sales.

So how do you suggest console popularity is measured? If not by sales then how?

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »

You can't judge a system by the the number of sales.

So how do you suggest console popularity is measured? If not by sales then how?

She wasn't talking about popularity, she was talking about worth. Context clues, man.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:48 pm »
some of his points are fine, even close to what i think when i see games nowadays, such as unplayable due to bugs and load times
the rest was just minor bickering imo... there are bigger problems than that, such as the writer himself who obviously isnt the sharpest knife in the toolbox
any of you played NWN2? ive never ever in my life played a so broken, unplayable game before... too bad the rest of the game is fun and even addicting
the engine is written by a weasel, something not human at the very least...
oblivion is by far the best game ive played this far, and seeing as its from 2004, which is a long long time ago... and it still has the best engine ive ever laid eyes upon

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit

luigi

MoFD
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 04:37:11 pm »

You can't judge a system by the the number of sales. The only thing that matters is personal taste, and I'd much rather have a PS3 than a Wii. In my opinion, the Wii only has one game that might be worth playing (Brawl) while PS3 and 360 have more games that I'd actually play.

Wii has a lot a childish games. Why can't some of these companys make their OWN system for these games instead of ruining Nintendo's name for Barbie games, or little kid movie games or something.

I think Wii should have some FPS's or some other types of great games on 360 or PS3. MP3 should of had multiplayer, I would play it again if it did.

Something else I thought of before was that if Wii, 360, or PS3 all have the same online game and not many people are online with PS3 or Wii on that game, there should be a mixed network thing where people playing the same game on each of those systems could play with eachother.
­200th post (09/20/07)
300th post (12/01/07)
400th post (2/11/08)
500th post (5/07/08)
600th post (7/21/08)

MK Wii: 2750 1625 1262
Brawl: 3523-1727-8440

Gamertag: cyborgwhale
  • Cyborg Whale's Twitter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:54 pm »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Wii has a lot a childish games. Why can't some of these companys make their OWN system for these games instead of ruining Nintendo's name for Barbie games, or little kid movie games or something.

They have. Never works out... I wonder why?

Also, I don't think the point the point the guy was making was that graphics don't matter... He means they do matter. The problem is some games are coming out with "awesome graphics" that just look like a blackout problem.

Graphics matter... but not all the time. Or rather, some graphics are better than others in certain circumstances. Like... I couldn't imagine a Mario game where you see each and every strand of hair, and his skin as wrinkly as a real person's is. But that's because its a game with a relatively light story. Look at Resident Evil 4. It has the realistic graphics thing going on and its doing it GOOD (well, except that some things look shinier than what they should...).

Even if the graphics aren't totally great, a game can still be made or broken by the gameplay (would be great if the graphics were good). Only when the graphics are mind-shatteringly insane (like red and green alternating every 2 seconds) can it truly break the game.

In short, graphics are essential because it is what you can see, how we interact with the game, but it is not the only thing that makes a game. I'm all for highly developed graphics, as long as the other parts of the game were worked on well enough too. So graphics matter, but it is not the only thing that matters.

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 74 queries.