Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web help: a simple rating system  (Read 1313 times)

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
Web help: a simple rating system
« on: September 13, 2008, 03:38:54 am »
  • With a Capital G
Over at the Zelda Sounds archive I'm going to be adding a section with viewer-submitted content. So far the entire site is coded in JavaScript, which I'm quite proud of. But I was hoping to add some kind of rating system where visitors could rate the content from 0 to 5 in three categories, and preferably log their IP so they can only vote once per item per IP.

I am willing to forget this and just update it manually with e-mailed rankings but that's a bit behind the times. Problem is I have no idea where to start looking to make this happen. If anybody can suggest a coding language that would work best, or point me to a basic tutorial site, that would rock.

mit

Re: Web help: a simple rating system
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 05:02:41 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
PHP is your best bet, if you're still on dayjo's server then it's already installed, and it's very simple and easy to learn.

If all you want is to log votes and IPs, you could do a simple thing storing them in a text file, or you could use MySQL, which is what, for instance, SMF uses.

While you're at it, you could write yourself a nifty little uploader script which would update the site automatically. They're not too hard to make, and if you're updating all the time it's very handy to be able to just use a web based form, rather than FTP.

Anway, the place to start is www.php.net . There's tutorials and the entire function reference there.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »
  • Xiphirx
Over at the Zelda Sounds archive I'm going to be adding a section with viewer-submitted content. So far the entire site is coded in JavaScript, which I'm quite proud of. But I was hoping to add some kind of rating system where visitors could rate the content from 0 to 5 in three categories, and preferably log their IP so they can only vote once per item per IP.

I am willing to forget this and just update it manually with e-mailed rankings but that's a bit behind the times. Problem is I have no idea where to start looking to make this happen. If anybody can suggest a coding language that would work best, or point me to a basic tutorial site, that would rock.

What mit said, but

I personally think that PHP is a real easy language to learn, so I suggest jumping into the code right away.
  • For The Swarm

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:54 am »
  • With a Capital G
Almost forgot to say thanks. :P  I'll read up on MySQL basics but I think PHP would be the easier, better bet.

No plans to write an automatic updater though. Using FTP is fine because I update about once a month these days, and the whole site's already JavaScript-generated and it's a ton of code to convert.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 42 queries.