Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MyNetPet  (Read 4484 times)

mit

Re: MyNetPet
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
You've all got the wrong idea. It's a good idea, but it's not the internet way of going about it!

Buy one pet, film it for a couple of days, and base all of the "webcam" footage off of clips combined from it. Obviously you'd need to get a couple, and a whole lot of footage for people to believe they're different animals, but in the long run it's the only way of doing it. All their stats would be handled digitally, and this way, they could even have "Health statistics" and "Affection levels" and so on that are set by the server based on how often you come online and so on.

They could even "die" and so on. After you're on good ground, you could buy a load of puppies and film them at different ages, and add all the footage to the database and blah blah blah.

Reminds me of that virtual fish screen saver.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 06:43:01 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
I just don't like the idea, at all. I can't put words on it, but It just doesn't sound right using live animals for it.
Anyway, sounds like a full-time job for you all.
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 06:58:56 pm »

Buy one pet, film it for a couple of days, and base all of the "webcam" footage off of clips combined from it. Obviously you'd need to get a couple, and a whole lot of footage for people to believe they're different animals, but in the long run it's the only way of doing it. All their stats would be handled digitally, and this way, they could even have "Health statistics" and "Affection levels" and so on that are set by the server based on how often you come online and so on.
Yeh we though of that XD.

I just don't like the idea, at all. I can't put words on it, but It just doesn't sound right using live animals for it.
Why? They get the same treatment they would if they were bought as a normal pet. Only difference is people on the net pay for everything and they can view them with webcams.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:53 pm »
Firstly: It is not the same treatment. There is quite a difference between actually being beside the pet, and just watching it through a webcam, especially for the pet. Some pet's can actually get ill from loneliness.

Secondly: What will you do when x number of pet's get ill? You can't watch them all, the owner might not notice, and then suddenly one day, a boy log on to see to his pet, and find it laying dead in a corner.

Thirdly: I find it morally unjust, a pet shouldn't live in a cage it's whole life, watching a metal piece. Even in pet stores, pet's are put together before bought, but once they are bought they in contact with a human at LEAST once a day. In your idea, they are moved from one cage to the next during their lives, depending on if their owners want them to be with other pets

And, how big of a scale are we talking about here? 10 pets? 100 pets? 1000? What KIND of pets? If you open a website like that, people are gonna be storming from everywhere, be it to have a pet, buy one just to abandon it, or to torture, there are all kinds of people out there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:33:27 pm by wildex999 »
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 07:35:43 pm »
Firstly: It is not the same treatment. There is quite a difference between actually being beside the pet, and just watching it through a webcam, especially for the pet. Some pet's can actually get ill from loneliness.
Your assuming we are just going to leave them to rot in a garage. We are still around, its not like we're just going to ignore them.

Secondly: What will you do when x number of pet's get ill? You can't watch them all, the owner might not notice, and then suddenly one day, a boy log on to see to his pet, and find it laying dead in a corner.
Deal with it just the same as you would normally. Take them to a vet.

Thirdly: I find it morally unjust, a pet shouldn't live in a cage it's whole life, watching a metal piece. Even in pet stores, pet's are put together before bought, but once they are bought they in contact with a human at LEAST once a day. In your idea, they are moved from one cage to the next during their lives, depending on if their owners want them to be with other pets
Well for one, chances are they won't be alone, and secondly we are there.

And, how big of a scale are we talking about here? 10 pets? 100 pets? 1000? If you open a website like that, people are gonna be storming from everywhere, be it to have a pet, buy one just to abandon it, or to torture, there are all kinds of people out there.
lol, nothing major, handlefull of pets no more. We don't have the capabilities to look after hundreds. And obviously we're not going to let people torture animals u_u
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42:53 pm »
Well, even when keeping it to a handful, this is something you have to be fully committed to keep watch over them at all times, something that seem to go a bit beyond "A few mates and me from college are thinking of setting up a online pet site for a bit of fun."
From what I know, vet prices are pretty high. if a pet get's sick you need to care for it a lot, maybe more than can be done from a webcam, thus having to remove the pet from the "owners" view in that time.

Just wondering, when you say "pet", what are we talking about exactly?

EDIT: thinking over it, that means you would need a 24/7 watch over the pets.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:44:55 pm by wildex999 »
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 07:43:55 pm »
So... You are only allowing like... 25 people to join your site? Or less even? Doesn't seem very fun. If you go through with it I want one of them. I'm claiming a little puppy on your site right this instant. Right my name down. I want a puppy dog named Bruce Lee.

mit

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 08:28:36 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Have you considered trying to organise something with a local RSPCA rescue centre or something? They'd be caring for the animals, people could pay to 'sponsor' one of them, rather than 'owning' it entirely. Yes, some of the interaction would be lost, but it would be self sufficient no matter what, you'd simply be giving them a share of the profits.

Not only that, but people would know the money is being put towards a good foundation rather than a bunch of cages in some guy's bedroom.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:42 pm »
So... You are only allowing like... 25 people to join your site? Or less even? Doesn't seem very fun. If you go through with it I want one of them. I'm claiming a little puppy on your site right this instant. Right my name down. I want a puppy dog named Bruce Lee.
We'e wroking on the basis that most people will get bored after a while. So we can circulate animals so to speak.

Have you considered trying to organise something with a local RSPCA rescue centre or something? They'd be caring for the animals, people could pay to 'sponsor' one of them, rather than 'owning' it entirely. Yes, some of the interaction would be lost, but it would be self sufficient no matter what, you'd simply be giving them a share of the profits.
Yup thought of that. One of my mates is going to email them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 52 queries.