Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: Midi to Wav  (Read 1716 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Help: Midi to Wav
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »
Basically, I want to know. I heard that Midi can sound good or bad depending on a computer's sound card. Now I also heard that if I change them to wavs, the problem is solved.

Is this right?

Also, if it is, what's the best free converter?
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: Help: Midi to Wav
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:10:36 pm »
Back in the DOS era, MIDIs sounded awesome because it was a common format. Nowadays, most professional games don't use MIDIs, therefore sound cards suck for MIDIs. If you change it to a WAV, the WAV will sound as if you played a MIDI on YOUR computer. Of course, that's considering the program uses your card to convert.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 06:11:44 pm »
Basically, I want to know. I heard that Midi can sound good or bad depending on a computer's sound card. Now I also heard that if I change them to wavs, the problem is solved.

Is this right?
Midi to wav will still leave the audio track sounding poor quality, as most midis inherently do. However it will sound the same across all platforms. The main problem you will have is in terms of size, wav music files are usually several megabytes in size, maybe even tens of megabytes if its a long song. Its a matter of weighing up size .vs. quality. Perhaps choose a different format, ogg? flac? or even mp3?

Anyway to actually convert, thats rather difficult given the way midi's are structured. You can use one of the many resequencing tools out there. Or you can just do what I do. Grab a copy of audacity, set the recording input to stereo mix, click record and start playing the midi in wmp or something similar. Then just save the result (after cutting out any crap).

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 06:43:55 pm »
So hold on. I convert the file on computer 1 with sound card A. I then transfer the file to computer 2 which has sound card B.

Would the file on computer 2 sound like it had sound card A?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:44:46 pm »
Yes it would.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:48:48 pm »
Oh thank you so much!!! Now I just need a midi to wav converter (Size isn't really an issue as let's face it, actual games are like 25% programming and about 50% music files.)
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:59:19 pm »
Now I just need a midi to wav converter
Or you can just do what I do. Grab a copy of audacity, set the recording input to stereo mix, click record and start playing the midi in wmp or something similar. Then just save the result (after cutting out any crap).

(Size isn't really an issue as let's face it, actual games are like 25% programming and about 50% music files.)
Commerical games yes. Indie games distributed on the internet, no. Don't expect people to download hundreds of megs of music just for an indie game.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:39:11 pm »
Of course, you could just ask someone with a bit of music knowledge and a copy of FLStudio to help you :D.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 01:11:58 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
For this, I would recommend opening the midi in a tracking program and using .mod format or something similar. This way you can assign instruments that will globally sound the same, while keeping the same format of music tracking. A bit bigger filesize depending on quality of your samples, but also can produce mp3 quality music with much less disk space used. Also presents ability for looping music while still having an "opening" sequence, as mods allow you to set loop points :3
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:43:44 am »
Winamp can also convert midis, as well as any other format that it can play.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 08:34:02 am »
  • With a Capital G
What I do is open up Goldwave (or any other wav editor, but that's my preference) and the Windows Volume Control, set the recording channel to MIDI, hit New file and then Record in Goldwave, and play the MIDI in another player.

Not only will the exact sound be retained but you can bump up the EQ a little bit. :P

I'd also check out a program called Wingroove, which plays MIDIS with its own better-sounding instruments. Results may vary but you can get some good results, since the sounds were decent for 10 years ago. It can also export to wav.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 57 queries.