Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar Paint-Job  (Read 1389 times)

Guitar Paint-Job
« on: October 08, 2008, 03:17:29 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Basicly, I'm going to completely repaint my guitar. Its a Strat copy, by a company called Crafter. Its a nice guitar, but It looks a it dull to me (its in sunburst). I know the main method of how to do it, and Ill have my dad to help me anyway, so I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with this? Or just any hints?

I'm changing it from Sunburst to White, and probably putting a design on it. I have an Idea what design, but I'm not sure yet...

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
Re: Guitar Paint-Job
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:32:12 pm »
Just letting you know that black and red are the worst colors to try and strip off, they'll leave a tint on the wood so repainting white's gonna be a !@#$%. Good luck with it, hope it turns out good. Also, psychedelic design FTW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »
Just letting you know that black and red are the worst colors to try and strip off, they'll leave a tint on the wood so repainting white's gonna be a !@#$%. Good luck with it, hope it turns out good. Also, psychedelic design FTW

Yeah I know I'm gonna have to put down some kind of base coat/coats to stop the black showing through.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:07:23 pm »
  • *whistle*
If it's a thick matt white, it shouldn't be a probablem.

Depends what kinda effect you're going for... you could just use ordinary wall paint, slap it on thick, sand it down so it's even, touch it up in a few places, and apply a thin coat of clear wood varnish.

I have no clue what that'd do for the tone of it, but, hey, it's a strat. No-one gives a !@#$% about the tone.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:41 am »
If it's a thick matt white, it shouldn't be a probablem.

Depends what kinda effect you're going for... you could just use ordinary wall paint, slap it on thick, sand it down so it's even, touch it up in a few places, and apply a thin coat of clear wood varnish.

I have no clue what that'd do for the tone of it, but, hey, it's a strat. No-one gives a !@#$% about the tone.

I'm not too worried if the tone loses a bit of quality, its not my favourite/main guitar. As long as the quality is still good, I'm ok.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:58 am »
  • *whistle*
In which case, I wouldn't be too concerned... the main body of the guitar underneath the strings is plastic anyway; the neck and some of the major parts will still be bolted into wood giving it some tone.

So yeah, my sugestion will probably work in that case. I'm not sure how much hardware you can remove from a strat before undertaking something like this, but I'd suggest removing some of it just to be on the safe side - although white paint wouldn't be very visible on some parts, where it is visible, it'd be quite difficult to remove.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 47 queries.

anything