Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some music :D  (Read 3999 times)

Recommend some music :D
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:31 am »
  • :D
Alright here it is:  I challenge you to find some awesome music that I'll like.  I like everything from rap/hip-hop to electronic to 'indie' to psychadelic music to post-rock.

There are very few kinds of music that I dont like:  I'm not a big fan of country, and there isn't a lot of metal that I like-- but I'm always open.  infact, please TRY to find metal that I might like lol.
NOTE: I also really don't like pop-screamo-rock whatever that genre is called lol, but don't give me any of this please :P

note2: I don't really care about meaning in the lyrics-- just about how the lyrics sound with the song IF there are lyrics.  I love music w/o lyrics. 

Long songs are a plus. 

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR: something I haven't heard of before.  I'm looking for 'hidden gems' as of right now.

Edit:
I thought I might want to give a few examples of music that I really like or have been listening to a lot lately, for reference: (favorites bolded)
Jurassic 5
Del the funky homosapien
Deltron 3030
Hieroglyphics
Godspeed you! black emperor
Mars volta
the Avalanches
Blackalicious
Fela Kuti
RJD2
a Tribe Called Quest
Espers
the Crystal Method
the Doors
Love
MGMT
Phillip Glass
Pink Floyd

EDIT: Also, a few bands that I downloaded things from recently:
M.I.A
Chromatics
Caribou (loving it)
Boris
Panda Bear
Of Montreal
Beirut
Gui Boratto
Totimoshi
Blonde Redhead
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:39:14 am by a Hint of Lime »
Re: Recommend some music :D
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:13:02 am »
Tryout some Lostprophets, Dream Theater, or Symphony X if you haven't already. You may like Dragon Ash also, they're a Japanese Rap/Rock group.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:16:13 am by Colbydude »
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:18:21 am »
I moved this to Entertainment and Gaming as it is going to involve discussion over the media form of music.

I happen to not like country that much either, but for some reason, I like the songs of Alan Jackson. Really, he has some good, fun songs that you would have to be really cold to hate on.

Otherwise, if you haven't listened to Wu-Tang Clan, I recommend that. Raekwon the Chef is also good in his album "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx", especially the song "Guillotine/Swordz" - the lyrics are mind blowing and the other members of Wu-Tang on those tracks kill it with their metaphors.

I kind of like Apocolypta. They play classical instruments with kind of a metal thing going on with that. It's a unique sound.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 02:24:51 am »
I kind of like Apocolypta. They play classical instruments with kind of a metal thing going on with that. It's a unique sound.

God yes, Apocolyptica is amazing.

Also look up Crush 40, they do music for the Sonic games, but also have a pretty good album out.
  • https://colbydude.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 02:30:34 am »
Tryout some Lostprophets, Dream Theater, or Symphony X if you haven't already. You may like Dragon Ash also, they're a Japanese Rap/Rock group.
Lostprophets-- liked them a few years ago, but I'm not exactly fond of them now.

Dream Theater-- I like a couple of their songs... but I dunno.  I just don't really like metal :/

Symphony X-- Meh, don't really like it.

Dragon ash-- unusual, but I'm not a big fan.

Just so you know, If I don't like any recommended music it's nothing personal, and I don't mean to dis your music taste or anything, it just isn't for me. 

I moved this to Entertainment and Gaming as it is going to involve discussion over the media form of music.

I happen to not like country that much either, but for some reason, I like the songs of Alan Jackson. Really, he has some good, fun songs that you would have to be really cold to hate on.

Otherwise, if you haven't listened to Wu-Tang Clan, I recommend that. Raekwon the Chef is also good in his album "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx", especially the song "Guillotine/Swordz" - the lyrics are mind blowing and the other members of Wu-Tang on those tracks kill it with their metaphors.

Allen Jackson-- Eh, not for me.  Sorry :P

Wu Tang Clan-- I've never really gotten into Wu Tang that much, but I do really like some of their songs.  I'll go download some more :) (I have guillotine/Swordz)

Apocolypta-- I like the idea of classical instruments but... Don't really like what they play with them. 

Sorry guys, I think metal really just isn't for me.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:51:13 am »
Radiohead - my absolute favorite band. All of their stuff's great, but if you've never listened to them before, I recommend starting off easy with either In Rainbows of OK Computer. If you like what you hear, go ahead and give Amnesiac, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief a listen.

Cake - another band I love. They have a very original sound, and extremely catchy songs. I recommend trying Comfort Eagle or Motorcade of Generosity.

Followed by Ghosts - a post-rock band that my former roommate's in. His favorite band is actually Godspeed, so I'm confident you'll really like them. They may be an indie band, but they just recently got a deal to have one of their songs in a documentary, so they're moving up in the world. They should have two albums out right now.

Sigur Ros - another post-rock band. My former roommate loves them, and so do a few other people I've talked to on campus. I haven't listened to them too much, but so far I like what I've heard.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:00:18 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
Dan Le Sac VS. Scroobius Pip - Hip hop, but bloody amazing. I was never a hip hop fan before these guys.

Tonight is Goodbye - just awesome

City in Ruins - Split up now, but amazing

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - classic but cool

I'll be back with more some other time...

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:45 am »
Radiohead - my absolute favorite band. All of their stuff's great, but if you've never listened to them before, I recommend starting off easy with either In Rainbows of OK Computer. If you like what you hear, go ahead and give Amnesiac, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief a listen.

Cake - another band I love. They have a very original sound, and extremely catchy songs. I recommend trying Comfort Eagle or Motorcade of Generosity.

Followed by Ghosts - a post-rock band that my former roommate's in. His favorite band is actually Godspeed, so I'm confident you'll really like them. They may be an indie band, but they just recently got a deal to have one of their songs in a documentary, so they're moving up in the world. They should have two albums out right now.

Sigur Ros - another post-rock band. My former roommate loves them, and so do a few other people I've talked to on campus. I haven't listened to them too much, but so far I like what I've heard.

Radiohead-- Radiohead has always been one of those bands that I like, but I haven't really listened enough to.  I'm gonna go download Rainbows, and I have OK computer already.  Great band tho :)

Cake-- Hah, I was really into cake a few years ago.  They're an awesome band, but they're style is kinda odd, so I listen to them in moderation though. Good band :)

Followed by Ghosts-- oh awesome.  Listening to a song on youtube now-- loving it so far.  I'll probably buy the album :D  Thanks dude

Sigur Ros-- ahhh, I heard this band a while ago and forgot what it was called-- thanks n__n /goes to download

SlimmyG I'll respond in a minute lol, a lot of stuff to listen to
Dan Le Sac VS. Scroobius Pip - Hip hop, but bloody amazing. I was never a hip hop fan before these guys.

Tonight is Goodbye - just awesome

City in Ruins - Split up now, but amazing

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - classic but cool

I'll be back with more some other time...

Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip-- I like it.  It's very... white feeling, but I like it :)

Tonight is Goodbye-- sorry but this is just REALLY not my type of music :P

City in Ruins-- Also really not my cup of tea.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers-- Dude, come on, who hasn't heard of the RHCP lol.  They're pretty good I guess.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:12:31 am by a Hint of Lime »
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:29:54 am »
Radiohead-- Radiohead has always been one of those bands that I like, but I haven't really listened enough to.  I'm gonna go download Rainbows, and I have OK computer already.  Great band tho :)

Followed by Ghosts-- oh awesome.  Listening to a song on youtube now-- loving it so far.  I'll probably buy the album :D  Thanks dude

If you decide to get more Radiohead, some of my favorite tracks include:

Amnesiac: Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates, You and Whose Army?, Life in a Glass House
Hail to the Thief: 2+2=5, Where I End and You Begin, I Will, Wolf at the Door
Kid A: Everything In Its Right Place, National Anthem, How to Disappear Completely
In Rainbows: Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Faust Arp, Jigsaw Falling Into Place
OK Computer: Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Fitter Happier, No Surprises
The Bends: Fake Plastic Trees, Just, Street Spirit (Fade Out)
I Might Be Wrong (Live Recordings): Like Spinning Plates

Also, if you look in the videos for Followed By Ghosts, the guy with the huge beard and ponytail used to be my roommate. He's awesome.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:46:24 am »
  • Wu tang Forever
!@#$% cheers on the GYBE! my favourite band ever.
Plus you listen to the exact same rap as me cheers on that!

I recommend K-os, very good rap/soul/everything under the sun, Explosions in the Sky is a great post-rock band that is similar to Godspeed in many ways.
Deerhunter is a very good indieish band. Their newer stuff is more poppy and more accessible, their older stuff has a lot more ambient noise and stuff, still amazing though.
Recently I've been loving Bon Iver, great acoustic/folk.

I could recommend a bunch of metal, but I don't even know where to start
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:02:57 pm by Lindgren »
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:38:22 am »
I'll try to post a ton of different bands, maybe you'll find something you like. Most of this is probably considered indie I guess, but there's some pretty good stuff here. Alphabetically listed even..

Arcade Fire: I'm pretty sure they're fairly well known, but if you haven't they're definitely worth a listen. They've got their own sound for sure.

Cloud Cult: This is really an amazing band, you should listen to some of their albums. I found nearly every song on 'Feel Good Ghosts' were songs I wouldn't get tired of, and 'The Meaning of 8' is a solid album. Not so much a fan of their earlier work - they have some good stuff but there's lots of experimental stuff going on too.

Human Highway: I have the feeling HH isn't as well known, but it was formed with members of the band 'Islands', another great band if you haven't heard of them. The album, Moody Motorcycle has a reeaally relaxed/mellow indie sound to it, it's great for relaxing...

Islands: As I mentioned, this is another really good band.. although I prefer the album 'Arm's Way' as there's a larger amount of really-good-songs on it. Definitely worth a listen.

Jose Gonzalez: Amazing classical guitarist.. his songs have a Spanish/Latin feel to them, and are mostly all just acoustic guitar and vocals, but his voice is what really makes him so good. It's mesmerizing :p Great skill too... check it out if you like acoustic stuff. I recommend the song "Crosses".

MGMT: I would go on about how good their experimental/alternative stuff is but I saw you already listened to them. To anyone else reading, GO LISTEN.

Sea Wolf: Hmm, they're not bad. Definitely on the quiet side, I don't like listening to them for too long because even though their music is really well written after listening to the album it makes you feel a bit depressed. I would still recommend listening to them... the song "You're a wolf' was used on a Chevy Malibu commercial, so it might sound familiar.

Sparkadia: Wow, I don't really know what to call this. It's... good, mostly. Kind of a weird pop/rock/indie thing going on that makes me think of a weird sort of Coldplay/Arctic Monkeys cross in some of their songs. It's a mixed bunch, but the first few songs off 'Postcards' are good. I hear their earlier work sounds depressing, while in Postcards the music itself sounds brighter but the lyrics are a touch dark.

The Spinto Band: Again, I've got mixed feelings about this band, but you should take a listen to 'Nice and Nicely Done'; there's a few good tracks there.

Stars: Awesome indie/electronic stuff, some really good songs. You should definitely listen to some of their stuff... there's also an album made by several other bands featuring covers of a CD (the 'remake' album has the exact same songs as the original, just different versions).

Voxtrot: Really Really Really good. Go listen to them. Personally I prefer their EP, which although has lower quality because it was essentially a demo track, all the songs are great.

The Weakerthans: They're a band that grew up in my home town, and my friend is related to them... They've got several CDs, of which get better chronologically imo. Take a listen maybe. Fact: I'm taking guitar lessons from the guy that taught their lead guitarist. ;p

Anyways, that's about all I have to reccommend for now.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:52:15 am by Q.K. »

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:09:32 am »
  • b e p i s
Blackstar, Lupe Fiasco, The Emotron (if you want some laughs), Ratatat.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 07:35:32 am »
Arctic Monkeys, Beck, Brendan Benson, Cold Chisel, Fionn Regan, Fleet Foxes, Jenny Lewis, The Last Shadow Puppets, Lupe Fiasco, Portishead, Rilo Kiley, The Shins, Tally Hall, TV On The Radio.

I didn't list any bands you've already responded to, but of those I'd second Radiohead, Cake, Sigur Ros, and Arcade Fire.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:44:32 am by Racoon Boy »

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:42:59 am »
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17:31 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
You might like some Regina Spektor.  Keane and Moxy Fruvous are both pretty good.  And I can't post in a music topic without mentioning They Might Be Giants, though it's hard to tell if you like them from only listening to a few songs.

Regina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAhnJbGy9M&feature=related

Keane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYnb27C62nU

Moxy Fruvous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9F_XHb81N0

TMBG(and some Homestarrunner.com stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2l0LaTi4U&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:23:50 pm by Mitsu »
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 07:47:40 pm »
Jason Mraz. Just cus.
John Mayer aswell.

And Crystal Method, though every ones most likely heard of them.

Also search for Pirate by Bullets and Octane.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:02 pm »
This is kind of nostalgic for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgIs9ge5kk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AwJLn8DOI

Otherwise I have just been listening to the Rolling Stones, name "Paint It, Black" all day.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:06 am »
  • With a Capital G
Trying to consider a bunch of your tastes and requests here...

Fila Brazillia: Black Market Gardening, Power Clown
Bonobo: Animal Magic, Dial M For Monkey
Tweaker: 2am Wakeup Call, The Attraction to All Things Uncertain
(Fairly melodic chill music, all with electronic elements and real instruments, although Tweaker can get gritty at times and has some Cure-like dark vocals)

Art of Noise: The Seduction of Claude Debussy (Avant-garde, colourful, hip-hop-ish tribute to the famous impressionist composer; the idea might make you skeptical but they pulled off something extremely classy with great production)

Nine Inch Nails: Ghosts I-IV (a bit more easy on the ears than most of their stuff, no vocals either)

At the Drive-In: Vaya (precursor group to The Mars Volta; I don't care for much of their stuff but this album really reeks of the musical transition)

Deftones: Adrenaline, Around the Fur (personally I prefer more "progressive" metal like Tool, but this stuff is really digestible and fairly old school in writing & presentation)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 73 queries.

anything