Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GM versions  (Read 2199 times)

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
GM versions
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:10:59 am »
  • With a Capital G
So which versions of Game Maker do people here use the most? I've got a ton of old engines and examples which I'm thinking of revamping and repackaging to leave my mark and the beat this joint, but they're all from the 5.3 and 6.0 age; some have several different versions of each including registered and non-registered versions. I never really got into GM 7.

No way I going to make versions for every different kind of GM user out there so I'd like a little consensus of who uses which version and how many are registered. Is it safe to say that GM 7 is the standard now thanks to the YoYo Games thing?
Re: GM versions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:35:43 am »
So which versions of Game Maker do people here use the most? I've got a ton of old engines and examples which I'm thinking of revamping and repackaging to leave my mark and the beat this joint, but they're all from the 5.3 and 6.0 age; some have several different versions of each including registered and non-registered versions. I never really got into GM 7.

No way I going to make versions for every different kind of GM user out there so I'd like a little consensus of who uses which version and how many are registered. Is it safe to say that GM 7 is the standard now thanks to the YoYo Games thing?
It is the standard now, but not for long as they should have 8 out sometime halfway this year.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:01 am »
  • With a Capital G
Hm, seriously? Crap, I hope it's 100% compatible with 7, or I'm out. I guess 6 has been basically replaced by 7 but some people still prefer 5.3 because of some things that were taken out of newer versions, like exclusive graphics mode, screen gamma, sound pitch shifting, some draw functions, and so on.

Still, a few more replies would be helpful just to see which version(s) I should stick with.

gm112

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:18:14 am »
Hm, seriously? Crap, I hope it's 100% compatible with 7, or I'm out. I guess 6 has been basically replaced by 7 but some people still prefer 5.3 because of some things that were taken out of newer versions, like exclusive graphics mode, screen gamma, sound pitch shifting, some draw functions, and so on.

Still, a few more replies would be helpful just to see which version(s) I should stick with.
To be honest, I'd say you should just move onto other things. Game Maker seems more appropriate for the beginner in Game Design. I don't necessarily think Mark Overmars initially expected people to stick to it as a primary design tool. That could explain why it's so limited in design. It's definitely an experience that's really nice to go through; although, that's just that. The experience shouldn't just stop at GM. It should expand further than that. I don't mean to criticize you and your views, I am just expressing my opinion on "what you should stick with". I hope that answers your question :P
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:11:11 am »
I think you should do what you want to do. You could spend time updating your engines, but you can also dump everything and let others update the engines when they are going to use it. Not releasing your engines, would be a kind of waste.

It sound trivial to mention, but you probably have the following options:
1) Update your engines to GM7, because it is currently the latest version and the most wanted at the moment.
2) Wait until GM8 is released. Update the engines to that because it probably will become the most used then.
3) Don't update your engines just dump them here and let others update them when used.
4) Don't do anything and just go on.

What you do is up to you. It depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on the engines. I personally think it is a waste not to post them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:13:00 am by Niek »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This will sound horribly tedious, but you should update your engines to all major versions of GM. I say this because you're always going to have people who don't want to upgrade. I'd almost say the amount of people that use older versions is equal to the amount of people who use 7. It'll be the same when 8 comes out as well.

Goodnight

Once and future Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:52:35 pm »
  • With a Capital G
All right well, I'll wait until GM8 comes out to see what's changed. I would imagine it will only have additions rather than changes to any functions since they established the .gmk format for version 7. Then I'll make a version of each engine that I want to release for the lowest compatible versions. Like if a GM6 version will work on 7 and 8 then I'll keep it in GM6 for importing, and also have a 5.3 version if it's possible.

Basniak, I totally get what you're saying. I'd like to move on to more professional tools as well but for now my code is in GML, so I'll share it that way. The thing is, I comment all my engines to show how they work and include instructions on how to "install" them into your own GM games, so the logic behind the code can likely be recreated in other languages or design tools.

I agree that designers should move beyond GM eventually, but its limitations are not so bad and I think that serious designers aren't hurting themselves much by sticking with it for a while. The built-in movement/solidity/collision features and the drag & drop have some major limits but the GML language has enough to work around those limitations. In my own game, all the collisions and movement code were custom-made to suit the game's design; it works, and you wouldn't even notice that it's customised unless you see an action that would normally be impossible, like a block that's solid for a player on the bottom plane, but not for the other player on the top plane. Just an example. :P
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:40:49 pm »
  • The king of Awesome

To be honest, I'd say you should just move onto other things. Game Maker seems more appropriate for the beginner in Game Design. I don't necessarily think Mark Overmars initially expected people to stick to it as a primary design tool. That could explain why it's so limited in design. It's definitely an experience that's really nice to go through; although, that's just that. The experience shouldn't just stop at GM. It should expand further than that. I don't mean to criticize you and your views, I am just expressing my opinion on "what you should stick with". I hope that answers your question :P

I agree, there are better game engines out there, some like Game Maker but with a better language even if it's custom.  Then there's engines that just a language like spher(javascript) and ika(python)

If your still wanting to do 2D try and move onto C# and XNA, or if your still to shy for that then try RPG Toolkit(Language resembles C++ a lot...) or Torque Game Builder. Torque script is very close to RPG Code, well how variables are handled anyway.

But I'd wait for GM8.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 50 queries.

anything