Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Contest Idea: Dungeon Design  (Read 7743 times)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
Contest Idea: Dungeon Design
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:30:10 am »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
We really should have another contest, and I think I had a good idea for one. How about the dungeon design competition? Basically, all participants would be required to design and map out a dungeon for a Zelda game, using a provided tileset and some other assets (for example, sheets of enemies or objects). The competition would last for a pre-determined amount of time (duh) and would be judged based on the design of the dungeon (how inventive it is/fun it would be to play) and effective use of the tileset (as in, the tileset was used properly in that things don't look like complete crap, this isn't the most important category but we want people to be able to actually make these things).

Yes, this isn't the most detailed idea, but it is meant to be just that: an idea.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
Re: Contest Idea: Dungeon Design
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:38:22 am »
That is a very good idea. Because many of those who make Zelda fangames usually just do overworld and give up before dungeons, having a contest based around dungeons would be interesting and beneficial in that it is not common.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:59 am »
Sounds great to me. Would be fun to see what people come up with. Bonus points should be awarded to people who actually make their dungeons playable. =P
  • https://colbydude.com

Raen

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:27 am »
Also, figured I'd mention I'm willing to run this.

Oh, and another interesting idea. Generally, Zelda dungeons are based around a item which you acquire in that dungeon, and the puzzle reflect the necessity of the item. So it might be fun to specify the item which you acquire in the dungeon, and also specify the weapons/items which Link already has going into the dungeon.

Then again, this could limit creativity.

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:18 am »
Are remakes allowed? I'm almost done with Koholint LttP (first part anyway) and am about to start Tail Cave.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Raen

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:35 am »
Are remakes allowed? I'm almost done with Koholint LttP (first part anyway) and am about to start Tail Cave.
No, that goes against what this competition is about: That is, design. The point is to design a dungeon and then map it out. Not just map out a dungeon.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:32:50 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I see one major issue with this contest (and that's the only issue actually)--- A lot of puzzles would get lost in translation... Just looking at a dungeon map for a zelda game shows that you can't just look at a map and see how it actually plays :P

So I guess what I'm saying is... It could be the shittiest looking dungeon ever, but the puzzles could be great... Puzzles are 90% of the design when it comes to zelda dungeons, and you can't convey that in pictures... :(

Raen

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:08:50 am »
Yeah, good point, Mammy. I would expect commentary along with the maps; that is, a description of the puzzles and how they work. Honestly, it would be nice to have people design and implement dungeons into a Zelda engine; however, that's hard in that participation would be very, very low, and I want this to be as open as possible to as many people as possible.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 06:39:24 am »
I'd be in, this is a great idea :).
But I do agree that it might be hard to show what the puzzles are. Unless someone can actually play it, they won't be the easiest thing to judge.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 02:02:41 pm »
I may sign me up for a dungeon design contest.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 02:24:22 pm »
I would most definitely be in.

A Storm in the Desert

Eternal Triangle
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 03:49:02 am »
  • Wear the Deku Sprout Smile :]
I'd be interested in participating.
Surely you can do it!
Believe in your strengths...Believe...

-Happy Mask Salesman
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 04:24:57 am »
hmmm  I would join :P, but you should mention people screen size and such.. und stuff like how much tiles does the hookshot expands if added and so on.. but yeah sounds really interesting to make original stuff :D.
edit:
how if we assign dungeons? so the participant choose a dungeon, and each dungeon has the previous items plus the one you get in that dungeon and each dungeon a theme.. soo, when the contest is over we can actually make a game by joining all the dungeons and making an overworld( perhaps another contest for the overworld design?)

for example:
dungeon one: items you have: sword and shield, item you get: boomerang, theme: forest

dungeon two: items you have: sword,shield, boomerang and bombs( that you get them in a sidequest), item you get: hookshot, theme: fire.

and so on and obviously the last one will be ganons tower, or the last part before you fight the main villian.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:28:51 am by Kren »
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 07:08:18 am »
Hmm, I am interested in designing a dungeon an give some comment on it, but to actually program it, I don't know. The problem will be if I even have the time to do it.

hmmm  I would join :P, but you should mention people screen size and such.. und stuff like how much tiles does the hookshot expands if added and so on.. but yeah sounds really interesting to make original stuff :D.
edit:
how if we assign dungeons? so the participant choose a dungeon, and each dungeon has the previous items plus the one you get in that dungeon and each dungeon a theme.. soo, when the contest is over we can actually make a game by joining all the dungeons and making an overworld( perhaps another contest for the overworld design?)

for example:
dungeon one: items you have: sword and shield, item you get: boomerang, theme: forest

dungeon two: items you have: sword,shield, boomerang and bombs( that you get them in a sidequest), item you get: hookshot, theme: fire.

and so on and obviously the last one will be ganons tower, or the last part before you fight the main villian.

So you want to turn it into an Original Zelda Game Community Project?

Raen

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »
hmmm  I would join :P, but you should mention people screen size and such.. und stuff like how much tiles does the hookshot expands if added and so on.. but yeah sounds really interesting to make original stuff :D.
edit:

for example:

If the dungeons turn out good enough, this might be really fun to do if someone (who has the skills, not just anybody) was willing to program the thing. I could, as the runner of the contest, make the overworld as well and design a lot of the stuff outside of dungeons.

However, we should focus first on doing the actual dungeon design contest.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »
I SHOTGUN the Shadow Temple! (Remix. Not the OOT dungeon layout. Though Im nicking the boat idea :P)

SHOTGUN <-Im so mature LOL
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:32:47 pm »
edit:

for example:

If the dungeons turn out good enough, this might be really fun to do if someone (who has the skills, not just anybody) was willing to program the thing. I could, as the runner of the contest, make the overworld as well and design a lot of the stuff outside of dungeons.

However, we should focus first on doing the actual dungeon design contest.

You would also need everyone to use the same tiles and sprites, so that at least the style is consistent. Therefore someone has to compile the resources. Considering the 2D graphics ripping project has come to a bit of a standstill, it might be hard.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01:08 pm »
oh, well I though that the tileset would be included on the contest.. <.< so each dungeon might have different tileset. Anyways, my idea could help out any guy starting a zelda game to atleast have the dungeons completed.. :P. or as a community game. It might also help to not have 10 dungeons with the same style, it will add more variety to the contest.

Kingknight

SiMelon
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
  • The Hunter
This should be fun if it goes out as planned. I'm in.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 08:03:03 pm »
Also, figured I'd mention I'm willing to run this.

You can have the event whenever you want, the staff can assist you if you want them to, and your permissions can be altered in order to assist you with the event (e.g. ability to edit the news, locally moderate the Contests board).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 76 queries.