Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 2674 times)

What are you reading?
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:51:42 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
I just finished reading Fight Club. I read the whole thing in one day, which might not be out of the ordinary for some people, but I'm a really slow reader. I absolutely loved it. I can really relate with all the themes expressed in the novel. I also liked the very fast pace of the writing, it kept me interested through the whole thing. I watched the movie right after I read it. The movie was also very good, but didn't touch on all the same themes as the book, and made the anti-consumerism theme a lot more obvious and prevalent.

I've just started reading The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. It's very interesting and an enlightening read. The book is pretty dense with historical examples and anecdotes relating to the laws, so it is taking me a while to read. So far it is very good though. I would definitely recommend this to people who are interested in how people who have power attain that power and keep it.

Focus: What are you currently reading? Would you recommend it to others? Or ask for suggestions on what to read next.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:10:49 pm »
  • b e p i s
Just finished Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere." It's an excellent book not only because of its unique atmosphere - think Alice in Wonderland in modern London - but also because as a writer, Gaiman has a very distinct voice. I loved it. I also recently read "Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson, which was a very dense political sort of fantasy novel. The magic system is great in it as well, though some of the characterizations are overly heroic.

I'm about to read "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. I hear it's really good, gritty fantasy. Since I'm a HUGE fan of George R. R. Martin, hopefully I'll like this book as well.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:12:54 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Nothing at the moment, but my reading history over the last month has been interesting.

I am currently slowly reading my way through the manga series Fruits Basket. I've recently finished volume 18 as of now and am planning on eventually buying the rest of the series bit by bit (so...many...volumes).

I also recently re-read by favourite graphic novel: The Crow by J'Obarr.

In between all this I've also re-read V for Vendetta and Watchmen. Alan Moore is like some kind of crazy writing hippie insane god of madness and writing.

Probably should be studying instead of reading all these comics but oh well...

Oh, and also I've been reading the odd H.P. Lovecraft story every now and again :P H.P. Lovecraft is my favourite writer by far and I completely and totally recommend pretty much anything by him :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:15:12 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:40:23 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I just finished Cactus Flower.  It's a play, which I don't generally like to read, but it's pretty good.  Started to re-read Tuesdays With Morrie, but got bored about halfway through.  I also finished off A Series of Unfortunate Events (this series is a good read, even if they're children's books).

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:28:41 pm »
I'm currently reading World War Z by Max Brooks.
I picked it up recently at Coles because I read The Zombie Survival Guide about 3 years ago and loved it.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »
Finished "Eight Lives Down" by Major Chris Hunter. Now reading "Long Way Down" by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

So far loving both. And also reading a DVLA Theory book so I can pass the !@#$% thing.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:05:57 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
This topic.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:27 pm »
Oh wow this is like the best topic ever.

I finished 'The Drowning Girl' last week. Can't remember who it's by though. Was really good, about a single mum whose 3 year old daughter has behavioural problems and she can't find out the cause. I would really recommend it to you all :D

Today I started reading 'Little Lady, Big Apple' by Hester Browne about a woman who runs an agency which does favours for single men. Non sexual favours and not laundry favours it clearly states at the beginning of the novel. I've only read the first couple of pages so far but in the blurb it says something about her going to New York with her American boyfriend so that's probably why it has 'Big Apple' in the title.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:45:33 pm »
  • .越//
/Slow Reader

Just finished "The Silver Falcon" (Historie Novel about taming Falcons in the Middle Ages ) from Katia Fox and now I'm starting with the first Twilight Book from Stephanie Meyer, i hope its not so Gay like "The Vampire Lestat" from Anne Rice. But since i didn't began reading yet I actually reading nothing right now... But "to Read" i have various Books from Wolfgang Hohlbein ( Fantasy / History ) a Trilogy and the Two first Twilight Books ( Twilight, New Moon ) and last but not least "The Pillars of the Earth"... looong looong Book ~.~

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:34:41 am »
/Slow Reader

Just finished "The Silver Falcon" (Historie Novel about taming Falcons in the Middle Ages ) from Katia Fox and now I'm starting with the first Twilight Book from Stephanie Meyer, i hope its not so Gay like "The Vampire Lestat" from Anne Rice. But since i didn't began reading yet I actually reading nothing right now... But "to Read" i have various Books from Wolfgang Hohlbein ( Fantasy / History ) a Trilogy and the Two first Twilight Books ( Twilight, New Moon ) and last but not least "The Pillars of the Earth"... looong looong Book ~.~

Is that the book by Ken Follett? I have that book but I haven't started reading it yet. Forgot I had it, actually.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:35:56 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice... but I'm cheating <_< (unabridged Audiobook~)

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:04 pm »
  • .越//
I'm reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice... but I'm cheating <_< (unabridged Audiobook~)

I dont like it... the movies are good though

Is that the book by Ken Follett? I have that book but I haven't started reading it yet. Forgot I had it, actually.

yes... but i will read it as the last from all those... because of the size ^^

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I just finished reading Fight Club. I read the whole thing in one day, which might not be out of the ordinary for some people, but I'm a really slow reader. I absolutely loved it. I can really relate with all the themes expressed in the novel. I also liked the very fast pace of the writing, it kept me interested through the whole thing. I watched the movie right after I read it. The movie was also very good, but didn't touch on all the same themes as the book, and made the anti-consumerism theme a lot more obvious and prevalent.

That is an amazing book. If I was forced to I'd probably say it was my favourite book, but I don't really like choosing favourites.

I'm about to read "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. I hear it's really good, gritty fantasy. Since I'm a HUGE fan of George R. R. Martin, hopefully I'll like this book as well.

God help me, I love that book. I really do.

At the moment Im just reading Oscar Wilde plays (Importance of Being Earnest, A Woman of No importance, etc.). I just love the wit.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 12:45:41 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Lately I've been reading tons of manga, but I've been stuck on the end of Gunslinger (Dark Tower I) by Stephen King. I should really push myself but I've got tons of manga to catch up on X_X
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:16:40 pm »
Whatever I feel like taking off my shelf. I'm like halfway through a dozen books, and re-reading a hundred >_>
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 03:47:07 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
Lately I've been reading tons of manga, but I've been stuck on the end of Gunslinger (Dark Tower I) by Stephen King. I should really push myself but I've got tons of manga to catch up on X_X
I really liked that book. I plan on reading the whole series one day, for now I've only read the first two.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 04:21:06 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I have the first three books of the series. I plan on reading them all someday soon but oh my God...manga...
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 04:41:12 am »
I just finished reading
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien
and now am reading
"In Cold Blood" by Trueman.
Both are for incoming classes next semester.
They're really good books though.
I like them at least. ^_^
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:24 am »
I am currently reading Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche; which starts off telling you that the classical philosophers were ego-stroking !@#$% to the point where you don't want to go read their works for a while. I might then try and read The American Democrat by James Fenimore Cooper or History of the Naval War of 1812 by Theodore Roosevelt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 73 queries.