Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LttP Dark World Theme - An Arrangement  (Read 2812 times)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
LttP Dark World Theme - An Arrangement
« on: August 14, 2009, 06:29:24 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
I was bored the other day, so I made this:
http://www.box.net/shared/4mahe7rgtj

It's the Dark World theme from LttP, changed and arranged by me in Anvil Studio. I had a lot of fun making this, and I hope you guys get some enjoyment out of it.

Also, since this is my first real attempt at composition/arrangement, I'd love to hear any advice any of you have as to how to make this better/ what you like/ what you hate, ect. I'd like to improve my music making skills, so all comments are welcome. Thanks!

PS. Also, if any of you awesome musician peoples out there want to make this an awesome, no midi song, that would be great. Sadly, I don't have access to FL Studio or anything, so I'm stuck with plain old midi.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
Re: LttP Dark World Theme - An Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 04:25:37 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Hey there Raen!

The song is pretty good except a few things. That background note plucking (guitar?) has a few notes that seem to clash with the trumpets when the note plucking sequence begins to go up in pitch.. can't explain it any better than that. It could just be my sound card, but there are a few other parts where there is clashing, like that high note with the strings. Most of the song is great though.

Also, I started to work on converting it in FL Studio, but I was just trying for a quick conversion, replacing midi with wav samples, but I couldn't quite place where the clashing was and I've given up for the moment. I'd need to listen to the original and compare them to see what's bothering me about it.

I especially like the part 0:47 - 1:01. As far as I can tell, that sounds perfect.
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:03:34 pm »
The notes you added are sounding too dissonant (they aren't matching the original melody correctly), that needs a lot of repair. I know it is difficult since the piece has many instruments, but you have to arrange it so that all the instruments match their notes as a whole, otherwise it won't sound fine.

Apart from the notes it's good, the instruments you chose fit well the song.

Raen

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
Thanks for the comments, guys! Someone over at ZREOmusic.com converted it into a higher quality MP3. They didn't do anything fancy, but it does make it easier to hear what is dissonant and what isn't:
http://podcast.zreomusic.com/dump/darkworld.mp3

As far as I can tell, there is really only one part with the guitar that doesn't sound good. I don't hear anywhere else that's a problem.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36:02 pm »
The problem is mainly the guitar, because the general melody of this piece is in G minor, and you added a lot of G#s that contrast with Gs and As of the original melody.

Raen

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 06:38:01 pm »
I recognize that, but part of the purpose of this song was to give the whole thing a different tone, and a slightly different (and mildly dissonant) key is kinda the point. However, I did notice a few parts that clash very badly, so I will touch those up.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 06:53:48 pm »
I listened to it and I must say that I didn't really liked it.

1) I think the blower instruments like the flutes and the tuba(?) need a higher volume.
2) There are parts where a violin(?) is completely out tone and rhythm, which make not really nice to listen to.

The rest is nice, but it doesn't come together yet.

I recognize that, but part of the purpose of this song was to give the whole thing a different tone, and a slightly different (and mildly dissonant) key is kinda the point. However, I did notice a few parts that clash very badly, so I will touch those up.

Even a mildly dissonant song comes together and can be great to listen to. Yours still need work. To make an omelet, you need to break some eggs first. So keep up the good work.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 07:26:44 pm »
@Raen:
I see... In this case I recommend that you changed the original melody and harmony too, so that it can match properly to your new tone.

@Niek:
Yeah, adding dissonance to songs sometimes fits well, but we need to take care so that it doesn't sound too clashy :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 52 queries.