Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gameboy Color Palette  (Read 10537 times)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Gameboy Color Palette
« on: September 08, 2010, 02:22:40 pm »

I found this using Google. Is this the real deal or is it simply the full palette and not the one with specific colors used for Zelda gbc games?

Link to article
Link to 15bit palette description

Is it okay to use this when spriting gbc style? It'd be a much broader selection and would probably mean better sprites.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: Gameboy Color Palette
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »
It's not a gb palette. Bear with me and I'll find the proper palette

The big colours are from the ZFGC's original GB palette. The small colours are colours I've found on various GBC sprites
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:19:23 pm by King Tetiro »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
Indeed, that is the GameBoy Color Palette.

However, please be aware that you can only use a limited number of colors from that Palette at once, and those colors are split between Background colors and Sprite colors. The total number of onscreen colors at any one time, is 56. (That's much better than the NES' 24! Not to mention the NES only had 56 colors total, as opposed to the GBC's 32k.)

King Tetiro, you are incorrect. What you have posted is simply a collection of colors from the GBC Zelda games (likely LADX, OoA, and OoS). That is not, in fact, the GBC palette. For one thing, it doesn't include any of the faded colors (i.e. the scene in OoA when everything slowly turns blue, or when the screen fades to white when opening the menu, etc.), and for another, it is far too uneven in its choice of colors.

Edit: It appears I have misread. The original post does mention the requirement of "specific colors used for Zelda GBC games". However, my statement still stands, that such a small collection of colors from the GBC Zelda games would be insufficient as a GameBoy Color palette. If you are looking for authenticity to the GBC Zelda games, it is perhaps preferable to simply rip sprites from the game, and otherwise be creative.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:35:30 pm by NotAlphaMan »

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »
I attached two separate palettes. The background palette I made myself using the Holodrum spring map. Though there are possibly more colors in the different seasonal maps like fall. NotAlphaMan, do you know where I can find the palettes for each gbc Zelda game? (Mainly the Oracles)
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:39:06 pm »
The best method would be to save the RGB value of every color onscreen at every moment during a playthrough of the game. That is the only possible way to ensure that you collect every color used in the GBC Zelda games. This is because of multiple scenes in the games where the colors are faded. As I mentioned previously, there is a scene early on in Oracle Of Ages (specifically, when Veran appears) in which the screen fades to a dark blue color for the tiles --- You would need to collect every color during that fade, and you would need to know how other colors (i.e. ones offscreen) are affected by such a fade.

I'm sorry to say, but it's quite unrealistic to hope for a specific palette for such a thing. Fortunately, the colors collected thus far seem to be sufficient, if, again, your intention is to create stylistically similar graphics to the ones seen in the GBC Zelda games.

Jeod

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »
That sounds like something Windy can do. Hear that Windy? You've been challenged! Make a version of VBA that will save RGB color values to a text file! If an RGB value already exists bypass it on the scan.

...is that even possible to do?

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »
Theoretically, I see no reason why someone would be unable to simply modify a pre-existing open source emulator to enable the compilation of onscreen colors, especially when it already has a debugging tool that shows you every color onscreen (in VBA, Tools -> Palette Viewer). Isn't that a big excessive, though? Unless there are more specific sprites which have colors you haven't collected already, I don't entirely see the point in trying to collect more colors. If you are basing your collection of colors on what is standard in Oracle of Ages/Seasons, it already seems like you have most colors from the game, with King Tetiro's post and yours combined.

I don't mean to impose on the current vision of your game (or whatever form of media it will take upon completion), but might I suggest that you simply use other colors from the GBC palette when you cannot find one in your own collection of colors that fits the sprite? You could even be creative and modify the colors on pre-existing Zelda sprites. That isn't to say that the graphics artists of those games were using improper colors, but rather, you would be somewhat more original if you at least made the graphics "feel" different with other colors. You don't need to make bushes red or anything silly like that, but think along the lines of choosing colors from the GBC palette for dungeon tilesets. Just a suggestion, of course.

Jeod

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:53:39 pm »
You said yourself that the complete palette is split into smaller parts when choosing colors for backgrounds and sprites. What I would really like to have is a list of colors that can be used for tiles and another list that can be used for sprites. This seems a simple task in VBA since it already splits up tiles and sprites in palette viewer.

It's just some food for thought, really. I think it'd be more beneficial to have a standard, while also allowing the risk of being creative.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 04:11:30 pm »
You said yourself that the complete palette is split into smaller parts when choosing colors for backgrounds and sprites. [...]

I apologize, I must have worded that statement wrong. The entire palette is not split between colors of Backgrounds and Sprites. It is the onscreen colors that are split between Background and Sprite colors (i.e. 12 sprite colors and 12 background colors at any one frame, selected from the Palette in its entirety).

Still, if you're looking for colors specific to Backgrounds/Tiles, why not run some kind of program that can compile a list of every color in an image and then sort it in an appropriate way? I do not know if such a program already exists, but it does not sound particularly difficult to program. You could run something like that onto the overworld maps of the OoA/OoS and the dungeon maps, and then be presented with a list of colors that is mostly used for Backgrounds/Tiles in the game (unless enemies are present in those screenshotted maps!). There are such programs for collecting and comparing Tilesets and then sorting them, and perhaps you could simply set those to collect "1x1" tiles and then save the results of color. Although I am not sure how fast that would be (since they would be optimized for dealing with larger tiles and comparing them).

As a minor note, I don't believe everyone uses the VBA emulator with the exact same settings. If someone were to have ripped a sprite sheet with "Gameboy Colors" selected as opposed to "Real Colors", it would ruin the entire deal. Not that I assume anyone would do such a thing, of course.

Jeod

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:16:43 pm »
I added on to my background palette. The colors are from the four Holodrum season maps.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 54 queries.