Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ∀ Gundam  (Read 1046 times)

∀ Gundam
« on: January 30, 2011, 09:01:10 am »
I just began to re-watch this series, because I finally got a decent translation. Years ago I watched Turn A Gundam, but the subs were not present at certain moments and of the subs that were present the English was horrible. As if it was made with google translater directly from Japanese. You can imagine it did not give a decent first impression, especially because I don't understand Japanese.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT***

Ah well, now I have a good version with good subs so I can actually watch the story now. I have only seen the first 15 episodes and I can definitely say that this is not one of my favorite Gundam shows. At least I am not enjoying it as any of the others. With the exception of G Gundam, because that series is even worse. However I cannot help myself appreciating how the creators have been able to mix the Gundam franchise into a Industrial Revolution time era. With the machinery and fashion to match.

But why isn't it as good. Well unlike all the other gundams, that combines drama with fighting, shooting and explosive actions. Turn A Gundam however tries to tell the story of another side from war. The negotiating of peace treaties and how some revenge crazy, greedy gun-ho soldiers keep spoiling the negotiations. The series lays its emphasis more on the drama than on the action. It does take a few episodes before the Gundam turns up and the war actually breaks lose. Even then it takes a long time before the Turn A Gundam gets into a decent fight, with a weapon that he loses immediately after. And there are very little to no casualties among the soldiers.

The Turn A Gundam is like the RX-78-2 Gundam in the original series never swapped out or improved upon with a better model. Which is something every gundam series does since Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. And like the RX-78-2, the Turn A is pretty much the only Gundam in the series. It does not look much like any of the other gundams. Even in G Gundam that had pretty weird gundams, they still all had the signature head characteristics. However the Turn A does not seem to have that. But its look does seem to go well with the IR setting.
Re: ∀ Gundam
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
Niek, Niek, Niek....The later half is the better half :3

The first half feels like the story is a bit forced or something.  The last half of the series finally slows down a bit.
My mind was blown by the last few episodes.  Not just by the fighting or drama but by what they did with
Show content
tying in the other GUNDAM universes in with
the story at the end.

Kinda like how GUNDAM 00 somewhat sets up the entire Newtype stuff at the end(depends on if you looks at it the way I did).
Just that Turn A is reversed.  Everything falls into place with Turn A.   That's why it is the "end all" GUNDAM. UC, AW, and AC are all included in Turn A.  Since Seed and 00 were not released, it is safe to say that AD and CE are included as well.

I don't remember if the G Gundam universe's timeline is covered in Turn A or not.  Then again, I never fully watched G Gundam since it seemed kinda stupid.  (And I got the jist of it from playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2).
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »
Niek, Niek, Niek....The later half is the better half :3

I don't remember if the G Gundam universe's timeline is covered in Turn A or not.  Then again, I never fully watched G Gundam since it seemed kinda stupid.  (And I got the jist of it from playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2).
I think that that goes for all the gundam series. Even G Gundam the second half becomes a whole lot better and more fun to watch. And the final episodes of the final climactic battle are always the best. However a series is the sum of all the episodes.

The first half feels like the story is a bit forced or something.  The last half of the series finally slows down a bit.
My mind was blown by the last few episodes.
Yes the
Show content
Moonlight Butterfly
effect is something special. It probably served as an inspiration to the
Show content
Destiny Gundam's Wings of Light and the GN drives in Gundam 00
. The problem is that the first half is to slow. The ∀ Gundam does not have any decent weapons,
Show content
when he gets one in an episode it will mostly break down the instant he uses it
. During battles the Turn A is only swaggering through the battlefield trying to stop the fighting, but the fighting only stops when both parties are called back by their respective politicians. From the first twenty episodes the only
Show content
2 casualties on the battlefield are this nutcake Corin Nander and the civilian-turned-soldier Will Game
. If they did not
Show content
blow up Nocis City
I would wonder if the gundam series is still about war and not paintball. The battles aren't just that exciting.

Not just by the fighting or drama but by what they did with
Show content
tying in the other GUNDAM universes in with
the story at the end.

Kinda like how GUNDAM 00 somewhat sets up the entire Newtype stuff at the end(depends on if you looks at it the way I did).
Just that Turn A is reversed.  Everything falls into place with Turn A.   That's why it is the "end all" GUNDAM. UC, AW, and AC are all included in Turn A.  Since Seed and 00 were not released, it is safe to say that AD and CE are included as well.
I mean no offence, but I don't think that any of the timelines are connected in the manner you are implying. Personally, I think that trying to tie all the alternate universes together is just as stupid as making a timeline for all the Zelda games. That there are similarities between the gundam timelines is based on the sole reason that they are Gundam series. And the series uphold a certain format. 

And I don't know what you mean with "end all" Gundam, but the mathematical symbol ∀ is not a representation of "end all". That symbol means "for all", and that is exactly what this series is. As the last series of the 20th century and because the Gundam franchise had its 20th anniversary, this series pays a homage to all the previous Gundam series (including G Gundam) by having a lot of obvious cameo's. I don't think Turn A is the last in the timeline, nor that Gundam 00 is the first. Each metaseries with its own calendar is its own timeline.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

I mean no offence, but I don't think that any of the timelines are connected in the manner you are implying. Personally, I think that trying to tie all the alternate universes together is just as stupid as making a timeline for all the Zelda games. That there are similarities between the gundam timelines is based on the sole reason that they are Gundam series. And the series uphold a certain format. 

And I don't know what you mean with "end all" Gundam, but the mathematical symbol ∀ is not a representation of "end all". That symbol means "for all", and that is exactly what this series is. As the last series of the 20th century and because the Gundam franchise had its 20th anniversary, this series pays a homage to all the previous Gundam series (including G Gundam) by having a lot of obvious cameo's. I don't think Turn A is the last in the timeline, nor that Gundam 00 is the first. Each metaseries with its own calendar is its own timeline.

Don't you remember.

Show content
The episode where they finally open the video logs to the "Dark History"?  It shows the videos of UC, AC, and AW.  It describes the former wars with mobile suits and all that jazz.  That's how at least I tied them together.  But it is set some estimated 8000 years or something after UC or something like that if it existed in the same universe.

Then again, i may be looking too deep into the clips they show of the Gundams that came before Turn A.  Maybe they got lazy and just threw that in there instead of coming up with original material for the Dark History.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:35:24 pm »
I remember it. But I have never seen it as the history preceding Turn A. Like I said before. To me Turn A is a homage to all the preceding Gundam series. That they use fragments of earlier series is actually a tribute. Also it is a lazy way to give shape to the "Dark History" that is mentioned in Turn A. I have always seen that the history is similar to all the previous gundam series and that it has been time of great chaos and war, but it is not specifically those series. If you really want to tie in the timelines you end up with to big inconsistencies, just like tying the Zelda games into a timeline.

And then you still have to exclude SEED and 00. Because in all the UC Gundam series and especially the latest they mention that the Zaku was the first ever developed mobile suit. Which means that 00 cannot have happened. Nor any other series with a Mobile Suit. While Gundam Wing appears to set in a much earlier setting. G Gundam has all the traditional nations as we know it now, while in UC those are almost all abolished. And Zaku's did not appear until SEED Destiny in the cosmic era. Did PLANT suddenly change to the Principality of Zeon?

That is why I think that tying the timelines together leaves you with a daunting task of working out the inconsistencies, which may or may not be resolved with future series. It just gives you headaches. BUt if you want to tie them together go ahead and I'll read your theory.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »
Oh I know.  They really aren't connected at all.  The inconsistencies are there like you say.  It's just fun to try to see how things could be tied together.  Each Gundam is its own timeline.  They just make little hints at the other Gundams so its fun to see if there would be a possibility of a tie-in.  Like After War is some what a "what if" if the colonies had really been dropped on the earth.

In the end, I do know to pull back and remember that each Gundam series is its own.  Just fun to theorize now and again,.
I do the same thing with the Megaman games too :3
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 46 queries.