Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Approved] Krackelen  (Read 6616 times)

[Approved] Krackelen
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:24 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
Name: Krackelen

A monster that rampaged through Lake Hylia, the Zoras were able to confine it to the water temple in order to defend the Sea Cog.

HP: 5

Appearance: A squid-like monster 5x Link’s size with 4 tentacles and a single eye.  It floats at the surface of the water.

Attacks:

Thunder Aura: Krackelen has a natural electrical aura around itself.  Contact with the aura, including striking it with Link’s sword, deals .25 HP and stuns Link momentarily.

Thunder pulse: This is Krackelen’s most common attack.  After a brief pause, Krackelen releases several electric spheres which are magnetized of either polarity (it is random which polarity they receive).  These spheres deal .25 HP on contact in addition stunning Link momentarily, and they bounce around the room at a moderate speed.  They last for 5 seconds.

Spinning Assault: Krackelen spreads its tentacles and proceeds to whirl around like a top.  After “revving up” for 2 seconds, it will charge at a high speed in Link’s direction.  If it misses, it will ricochet off the first wall it contacts, and then the next time it ricochets it will again head straight for Link.  The fourth time it hits a wall, the attack ends.  Contact with Krackelen at any time during the attack deals .5 HP.  The best way to evade the attack is to put as much distance between Link and Krackelen when the attack starts and roll to when the beast charges.

Whirlpool: Krackelen anchors its tentacles into the ground before inhaling, creating a suction effect that covers the entire room!  The effect lasts for 3 seconds.  The only way for Link to avoid this is to keep running away until the move ends, but he will still be slowly pulled towards Krackelen for the duration.  Fortunately, the attack has a noticeable startup animation, giving Link a chance to put some preemptive distance between himself and the boss.  If Link does end up being pulled to the creature, it will deliver a powerful bite that deals .75 HP, knocks Link back rather far, and automatically ends the attack.

Concrete Rain: Krackelen slams a tentacle into the ground, releasing several pieces of rubble from the ceiling that hit the ground 2 seconds later.  Link can tell where the pieces will land thanks to their shadows, but if he doesn’t get out of the way he suffers .75 HP and is knocked down.  The rubble disappears upon hitting the floor.

Tidal Smash: Krackelen roars after a brief delay, sending 4 large waves across the room.  They travel in either a + or x pattern from Krackelen’s body, dealing .25 HP and pushing Link against the wall.  This is primarily a defensive technique to keep Link away, but the large area the waves cover makes it more difficult to dodge Krackelen’s other projectiles.

Battle Flow:

Krackelen is fought in a room filled with shallow water.  At first, Krackelen appears invincible, as it is immune to Link’s ranged weapons and trying to use Link’s sword only damages himself!  In order to win the fight, Link must disable Krackelen’s thunder aura.  He does this by using the magnetic gloves to absorb Krackelen’s electric spheres.  Attracted spheres will gather in front of Link to form a larger sphere, and when Link chooses to repel this sphere it will shoot straight ahead at a high speed.  If this hits Krackelen, its thunder aura will be disabled temporarily, allowing Link to damage the creature.  While the thunder aura is disabled, Krackelen will still attack, but contact with its body will merely push Link aside with no damage.  Making things more challenging is the fact that the amount of spheres Link collects before firing affects the amount of time Krackelen’s thunder aura remains disabled.  If Link only fires off a single sphere, it is doubtful he can deal more than one hit unless he is at close-range when firing.

There are 2 phases to the battle.  In phase 1, Krackelen will slowly move around the room at random, occasionally pausing to attack.  At this time, it has access to its thunder aura, thunder pulse, and spinning assault attacks.  After losing half of its health, Krackelen will head to the center of the room and stay there for the remainder of the battle.  It will no longer perform the spinning assault attack, but it will start to use the whirlpool, concrete rain, and tidal smash attacks!

While Krackelen deals relatively low damage, its threat comes from the fact that it can and will have multiple attacks active simultaneously, and Link will often have to put himself in the line of fire in order to collect spheres to fire back at the boss.

change log:
June 15: Updated "spinning assault" attack
June 23: Rewrote battle flow, added new attacks, updated preexisting attacks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 03:45:34 am by HyperRidley »
Re: [Submission] Krackelen
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »
  • It's just Max.
A couple things:

1) AWESOME. This is a seriously cool boss. Even if the name makes me read it as Crackalackin' every time :p

2) I worry that it'd get real confusing real fast if you have to hold out your magnetic gloves to collect electric spheres, and changing polarity causes the spheres to shoot out, but the enemy shoots spheres of different polarities. I mean, you'd have like a half charged shot, and the boss would shoot out the opposite charged spheres and you'd have to switch to collect those, but that would shoot out your gathered charge. Consider addressing this?

3) I think the whirlpool could be allowed to do more damage, like a whole heart at least, but this is something we'll address later, since damage will be adjusted after testing n stuff.

3) How will the attraction between Link and the Krackalackin' work? When the boss is just moving around, will it always move toward Link when they're opposite poles? Will same poles push the boss away? Will it be like those REALLY ANNOYING enemies from OOX where you'd need to magnetic them close to hit them, but then once they got close, they'd shoot you and you'd fall back & they'd get away anyway? So you had to get them close, but not too close, while they moved independently also... D:<

4) You mention shallow water (and seems like Link is walking in it) but you also mention Link also diving in it. Dunno if things will work that way?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
1) AWESOME. This is a seriously cool boss. Even if the name makes me read it as Crackalackin' every time :p

Glad you like it!  :)

2) I worry that it'd get real confusing real fast if you have to hold out your magnetic gloves to collect electric spheres, and changing polarity causes the spheres to shoot out, but the enemy shoots spheres of different polarities. I mean, you'd have like a half charged shot, and the boss would shoot out the opposite charged spheres and you'd have to switch to collect those, but that would shoot out your gathered charge. Consider addressing this?

I envision it shooting both types of polarities in a single group, so Link would focus on collecting the ones he can, and the same-polarity shots would be repelled from him so he could focus on dodging the boss.  It's also meant to be tricky to get a fully charged shot because of how long it makes the boss vulnerable.  On that note, I need to specify how many projectiles need to be collected to reach full charge, haha.

3) I think the whirlpool could be allowed to do more damage, like a whole heart at least, but this is something we'll address later, since damage will be adjusted after testing n stuff.

Funny enough, in the first draft I had it deal 1.5 hearts xD.  I wanted to keep the damage on the low end because of how easy it might be for the player to hurt himself trying to get a good shot on the boss.

3) How will the attraction between Link and the Krackalackin' work? When the boss is just moving around, will it always move toward Link when they're opposite poles? Will same poles push the boss away? Will it be like those REALLY ANNOYING enemies from OOX where you'd need to magnetic them close to hit them, but then once they got close, they'd shoot you and you'd fall back & they'd get away anyway? So you had to get them close, but not too close, while they moved independently also... D:<

Magnetic gloves affect it the same way as any other object, so it will be pushed/pulled accordingly.  The idea is that if Link does start pulling the boss to him while collecting projectiles, he can use it to his advantage by firing when the boss is really close to give him more time to attack.

4) You mention shallow water (and seems like Link is walking in it) but you also mention Link also diving in it. Dunno if things will work that way?

I saw in the design document that Link could dive into shallow water as a type of dodge.  If that's changed I'm fine with making the ramming attack easier to dodge on its own, I just thought the mechanic was too good to pass up for the water boss.  XD
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:37 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

I imagine this kind of working like Twinrova in OoT.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:09:37 am »
  • King of the hoard!
Twinrova is definitely a good comparison, absorb shots of the opposite polarity while avoiding shots of the same polarity!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:43:49 am »
  • It's just Max.
Well, we'll work it out somehow :D

About the shallow water, in 2D Zelda games, well, in OOX at least, there are really 3 types of water, puddles you can walk in, shallow water you can swim in, and deep water you can dive in. I was thinking KoTwould be like that.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
That makes a lot more sense than diving into knee-high water xD.  I edited the attack that referenced it.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 06:42:46 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
Since I was reminded of a professor's lesson about color-blindness in another thread (thanks Steve lolol), what could be another indicator for the polarity of Krackelen's aura and its projectiles?  I was thinking of making the currents rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise.  It would be good to come up with a standard before we get too many things that interact with the item.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:22 am »
  • It's just Max.
Or we could just choose colors that aren't confused by color blind people. Like red and yellow. That isn't affected by the kind of color blindness caused by the cones in the retina or a malfunction in brain processing, I believe (can't remember the names for the different color processing theories. Opponent process theory might be one...).
Basically, I know some people, at traffic lights, can't tell red from green, but they can tell yellow from red.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »
Red is one of the worst colors to use if you're concerned about color blindness.  You could also change the shape of the aura.  Jagged to smooth for example.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »
Okay, my question is about the aura. When you get a charged up shot and hit the boss with the shot. Is the aura going down when the sphere is of the same polarity or the opposite polarity? Or doesn't it matter?

One more thing. I think I would like to see a second phase where you have to defeat the boss in a different manner, then shooting the boss with a sphere and continue to hammer on it with the sword. I know it adds another attack to it when it is down half its life, but still a second phase would be nice.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »
As for the description of the Boss goes (with being confined in the temple and all that jazz), it would probably be pretty sensible to have the Zolas put this guy in the temple to wreak so said havoc

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 06:37:05 pm »
  • King of the hoard!
Okay, my question is about the aura. When you get a charged up shot and hit the boss with the shot. Is the aura going down when the sphere is of the same polarity or the opposite polarity? Or doesn't it matter?

One more thing. I think I would like to see a second phase where you have to defeat the boss in a different manner, then shooting the boss with a sphere and continue to hammer on it with the sword. I know it adds another attack to it when it is down half its life, but still a second phase would be nice.

It doesn't matter what polarity you hit it with, it gets zapped all the same.  :)

I'm not sure if I want a second phase, it's only the second major boss and it's already a bit hard to damage as-is, heh.

As for the description of the Boss goes (with being confined in the temple and all that jazz), it would probably be pretty sensible to have the Zolas put this guy in the temple to wreak so said havoc

I like this idea, it could be partially responsible for the damaged state of the temple!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:39 pm »
It doesn't matter what polarity you hit it with, it gets zapped all the same.  :)
I think I like it better when the polarity matters, otherwise the aura's polarity has little to no function.

I'm not sure if I want a second phase, it's only the second major boss and it's already a bit hard to damage as-is, heh.
Because it is the second of five boss characters I think a second phase is needed. Otherwise it feel like it is some kind of mini-boss. Especially considering the strenght and number of attacks some of the proposed enemy units have. Especially zdude adds a shitload of attacks on regular units.

Spinning Assault: Krackelen spreads its tentacles and proceeds to whirl around like a top.  After “revving up” for 2 seconds, it will charge at a high speed in Link’s direction.  If it misses, it will ricochet off the first wall it contacts at a 90 degree angle, ...
I think the angle that the boss ricochettes should be equal to the angle he hits the wall. Although at the opposite side of the normal vector. It is basic physics and feels much more natural.
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
Add in a second phase for now.  While we're play testing we'll determine if it's actually needed or not.  I really don't see it as a necessity (Goht in Majora's Mask only had 1 phase), but eh why not.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 03:44:51 am »
  • King of the hoard!
Big update for this critter.  I added a few new attacks and split the fight up between 2 phases (and fixed up the battle flow to reflect this).  I also demagnetized Krackelen's aura since it felt a bit unnecessary looking back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 66 queries.

anything