Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NES Zelda remastered in newer age style.  (Read 9402 times)

NES Zelda remastered in newer age style.
« on: January 13, 2013, 03:10:17 am »
Hello all, earlier today i dug out my old NES and went around halfway through zelda 1. while doing this the whole time i was thinking what it would be like to either
1. Hi res the graphics, and maybe see what it looks like Depixelized.
2. LTTP/OOT2D graphics to update the game, and make the overworld look sexier.

I went with the second one, and started making the overworld inside of a zelda engine for LTTP i made, and so far it looks like this. What i was here for is first, comments on how the map seems turning out. also i wanted to have a discussion on how some things would have to be changed for the graphics change, since places like secrets and such will probably have to be different. also if you think this is a good idea at all. also i was wondering on if the enemies should be resprited, or using the same shape/size and just shade it in the other style. as of now its more of a discussion, but soon i will start making the actual sprites. if anyone would like to help with this project, you are more then welcome to. now here is what i have so far..

Overworld! about half done is all being shown as of now.
Show content

MAJOR EDIT:
Show content
DONE! well with the skeleton that is. as you can see its very open and the only area with any detail what so ever is the forest. so thats about all im doing for a bit. im also open to ideas to what to add to the enviroment to make it cooler. i was thinking in the mountains at some point to have some clouds floating low or something.
as you can see, it is kind of a mash of edited sprites, mixed in with some LTTP/CustomOot2D stuff. soon i am going to be looking for spriters besides myself to start pumping out some finalized sprites. if you would like to help with that PM me or just post here!
soon i will set it all up into a main one photo to show, but that takes time as it is only built in game maker. NOTE: none of the sprites used in that map are final, they are all fillers until i or someone else completes fully custom ones. some of those sprites are not mine, and are made by other people. full credit to them and i will not be using them for the actual game besides fillers, or some of the tilesets i will probably use.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:29:53 am by Whitay »
Re: NES Zelda remastered in newer age style.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:22:24 am »
Nice nice :)
I would allow for a bit more creative freedom to make the environment (like the hills and such) look more realistic and not so squared.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:07:34 pm »
I was trying to match as best as i could, but it gets harder and harder. So the whole map is going to be a bit more free. Also im going to make some different hills and such for places. I was thinking for the graveyard to use temple tiles but destroyed like.. What do you think on that? Also i was going to add more scenery to places. To nake it seem like differnent areas, like desert and forest and mountains. Also im wondering what other kinds of tilesets could be used for different places so its not just mountians
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:12:46 pm by Whitay »
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
Well you could try Dark World textures?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
Yeah, you should look into making it look more free-form.  Otherwise, you'd be doing what Zelda Classic has already done about 12 years ago or so :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:43:01 pm »
Well i didnt even know zelda classic existed! Lol. But the best guess is dark world textures. Thanks! also for LTTP style, i was going to double size the origional map and use it as a reference.. that way allowing me to add way more detail, be able to make the mountains feel more natural, exagerate detalis(like how huge Death Mountain should feel) and be able to add way more detail to most areas, so it actually feels like a forest, and then a desert, by how tall the mountains are, what foliage is growing, and ill be able to make the map feel more natural and not as constrained. the overworld map does come to around 8000*3000(rounded numbers) and i do not know how that compares to LTTPS overworld size. would that be very oversized? or can it be done in that size?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:03:52 am by Whitay »

Koh

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:37:11 am »
  • Tamer Koh
You definitely don't want to try following the original 1:1, or you're going to have issues, and it's also going to look plain and boring.  Try adding some ground detail and random interactable objects, like bushes and tall grass (controlled of course, don't make it look like you just clicked everywhere with the mouse).  Ignoring the tight space in screenshots such as this, take a look at these

Have a decent amount of ground detail present to give more life to the environment.  If you're wondering, no this isn't Zelda Classic, but when I did that, I was styling it after the screen, which was based on the NES Zelda, so, the screen size/resolution here (256x224) is the same as the first Zelda.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:40 pm »
Yes, thats more of what im going for i guess. The 2:1 makes its very easy to make cliffs random, and leave more then enough room for other ground objects. When i get home i will take a screenshot of the progress. I have almost finished the forest area.

EDIT: Forest area is done, and death mountain is around 50%, but damn is that a big mountain. also does anyone know if there is a way if you tile a map in game maker, to export the completed file for viewing and finding errors and such?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:59:11 am by Whitay »

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 02:23:31 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
If you're going to use ALttP as the "base" for this, then I'd suggest going back to that game and observing the environmental quirks about the game:
- doodads to add uniqueness to that area;
- dirt roads, making sure that most of then are never the same width the entire way it's being used;
- colors were all similar in that "room";
- "room" sizes were not bound by what was seen on the H.U.D. or the monitor, but were actually quite large (like the "room" sizes in the Oracle games' dungeons) and scrolled with Link;
- rooms connected to rooms more or less flawlessly (meaning that once you transitioned to another "room", a tree flowing over the border of the room would still be there in the other one, so you wouldn't suddenly have half of a rock where the other half of the tree is supposed to be. Doing this makes transitioning "rooms" not seem like you just teleported to another world / another part of the world. );
- no two "rooms" would be alike;
- no "room" should be blocky or square-y (think: would would that place look like to Link if this were an over-the-shoulder game instead?)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:14:22 am »
I rather it pay more tribute to the original if you don't mind.  :(
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

Koh

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 04:23:37 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Yes, thats more of what im going for i guess. The 2:1 makes its very easy to make cliffs random, and leave more then enough room for other ground objects. When i get home i will take a screenshot of the progress. I have almost finished the forest area.

EDIT: Forest area is done, and death mountain is around 50%, but damn is that a big mountain. also does anyone know if there is a way if you tile a map in game maker, to export the completed file for viewing and finding errors and such?
You can make a screen capture button.  In a button event, make it call this line of code:

Code: [Select]
screen_save("Screenshot.png");

Which will save a screenshot in the same folder as the game (or GMK if you ran it from the editor) named Screenshot.  Piece all of the screens together in something like Paint, and there you go =).
  • Megaclipse Games

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:44 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
This is interesting, in the same fashion that I found the Oracle game remastery projects interesting. I beat all the console Zelda's and I can say that the confusion caused by the graphics on the overworld was insane. The game would actually be playable with better graphics and scaling.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:50:38 pm »
Wow, lots of comments! well ill try to answer all of them here.
the map overworld will transition seamlessly because well, its going to be one big map(or a couple decent sized ones) peiced together, as i am going for the LTTP style overworld feel, not tons of screens. also this will not be an EXACT remake, so its going to have the same dungeons, same items, same overworld feel, but not block for block remake. what my initial plan was that i would pay homage to the game by making it in how it would have felt if there were no limitations, so using many sprites, transparancys, big overworld, animations, ECT. also i did map out the origional, 1:1, updated tiles, and all i would have to do is get a few custom sprites and that map would be done, orginally. but if your talking about the LTTP version, im trying to make it as exact as i can without it feeling to square or to predictable, so the basic will be there, but it will seem newer. no lines and grids of trees, no lined up rocks. no big borders of 16*16 trees, but still have it like it should be. as for the screenshot, that would be alot of work wouldnt it? knowing the map is very big.. is there an easier way? or is that the only one? and @kienamaru, i was playing through and it was getting annoying to me in some places. its a great game, but some of the drawbacks werent their fault at the time, and that shouldnt take away from the game.. such as enemies were one. like ones in the sand, with more free movement, would probably be cooler. or something. i havent done much onto thinking and remastering the enemies. mostly focusing on finishing the landscape.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »
Be sure to implement a free save system, I got pissed when I did four dungeons and my game froze. From then on I just used a strategy guide and intentionally died after every boss.

Team Project:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
Like just a pause then save button? correct me if im wrong but couldnt you only save when you died or something?

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:33:23 am »
You're not wrong, that's why I died every time I beat a dungeon. The game was freaking easy but I didn't want to risk doing all those dungeons again.

And yes, pause and save would be excellent.

Team Project:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 03:23:50 am »
Alright, that will be one of the changes made. so good news, i have finished tiling the skeleton of the map, as in all the hills and water and such. now i need to add some details, some trees, ECT and then i will show what i have done to you all. that will probably be a day or two, as finals are coming up.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 05:24:57 pm »
Bump. so i have made some decent progress. i have added some small detail to some areas(like the graveyard) and so the map is starting to look good. all i have to do is fix tiling errors, make it look more natural, in some places, and create a few customish tiles for certain areas. also i took a break from tiling to start on some coding, and right now it is looking nice. all the swords, sword beams, HUD, item pickups are done. and weapons are nearing their finalization. i was thinking of having two item slots, and then a sword slot, as this would just make things more accessable in the game, per what the newer games have followed. also i was thinking of having different counters for each of the items, so arrows are no longer your wallet, and such. what do you think on all that? my coding is straying from the actual game and im realizing what this project will shape out to be. same levels, same enemies, same story, but different gameplay. and that will drastically change the game feel. so its a tribute to the original, but there are no restrictions. so this is starting to shape up nicely as my own little game, as i didnt like the restriction of trying to duplicate. but the original is still holding a massive influence.

also, for the next week or such progress might be slower or faster, as i have finals, but that would lead to more time, but i am also going through and trying to speedrun all the final bosses for the zelda games, because my friends know how obsessed i am with these games and gave me the idea. so ill try it, and see how i go.

Also, just because i havent posted any images in a little while, ill show this. this is what the graveyard looks like as of now. instead of making it seem dead and void of life, i tried to make it have a settling, but eerie feel, instead of just greys and whites.
Show content
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:17:28 pm by Whitay »

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 11:50:06 pm »
Maybe add a few new areas and have skill scrolls there so you can learn the skills from Minish Cap

Team Project:

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 01:19:08 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
Worry about the engine first. Yes, make a list of the abilities (with or without items) that Link/enemies/NPCs/bosses can do, then code and sprite them.  Build the overworld engine after that, then the graphics on top of that engine, that way you are sure to have enough room for everything instead of finding yourself editing the graphics part of the overworld often.

Aside from that, the graveyard just looks a bit too bland or monotonous. Let your imagination run wild here, that way a graveyard looks like an actual graveyard, wherein you could find hidden passageways, dead trees, and undead inhabitants. (Maybe even a few NPC friendly ghosts - not Casper - if you wanna.)
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 74 queries.