Projects > Discussion

What do you think I should use?

(1/4) > >>

Hyperhal:
Well, in order to make my game, I'd need to figure out which programming language I'll be using.

I have no experience with any except Python and Perl.

Vote based on how easy It'll be for me to learn and use the language, and on how powerful the language is. I'm leaning towards C, as it can be ported to mostly all platforms, and thats is a major goal of mines.

Infinitus:
Well neither perl or python are like C (there not even programming languages, but scripting.). But if you know the basics of programming you shouldnt have a problem learning C, its pretty simple(though i advise learning C++ not C, as OOP rocks XD).

therabidwombat:
I agree with Helios, OOP will make your life a lot simpler. C++ is a good start, although if you're not very experienced with programming, it may be difficult to learn. If you want to make a game quickly, try GameMaker or another Rapid Development Environment. It may not be the best for cross-platformwise, etc., but it's simple. However, if you are good with programming, C++ is defiinitely a good place to start. (or, if you have someone who could help teach it to you.)

StarReaver:
OOP only makes your life easy sometimes.  Sometimes it complicates things, and is unneeded.  If you only know Python and Perl, I would suggest learning either Java or C...or if you don't want to get too difficult too fast, Visual Basic is a good choice (though it's fairly expensive.)

C is portable, but not completely.  The syntax is always the same, if it follows the standard, but the commands typically aren't, as they're defined in header files rather than in the compiler itself (which can make the programs quite small)

If you want to use one of the "big" languages, Java is quicker to get into the graphical API than C is, and people tend to prefer either.  C is, typically, faster than Java, but I've found that Java has a...little bit of a friendlier syntax, and you don't have to deal with memory handling in Java, either.  It typically depends on the purpose of the program and whether you care to sacrifice some things for others.  Most languages have advantages, but all of them have sacrifices.

FarFromHomeFish:
If you're just starting out with programming, I'd suggest looking into a game-centric language, such as GM. I've taken GM for a stroll, and it's a great language to cut your teeth on. It also (and this is the most important reason to start out with GM!) gives you an idea of how you should lay out your variables in code for a game. It took me years to learn this property of programming games, since I learned by trial and error rather than by example.

I know it sounds as if this is such a meager reason to go with GM, but it's really so darn important that you would be crazy to overlook the oportunity.

Another big reason to go with GM: C++, VB, Delphi, most of the languages out there lack easy drawing mechanisms - and the ones that come integrated (such as VB's picture object) are woefully inadequate for programming games (not to knock VB: with the right amount of know-how, one can program a DirectX-based drawing object in VB that rivals drawing managers implemented in any other language). With GM, you can draw sprites and play music right from the beginning: with any other language, you will spend weeks, if not longer, fuddling around with tutorials trying to implement a drawing manager, and I promise you that your first try - like VB's picture object - will be slow and inadequate.

Eventually, you'll run into the boundaries of GM, and you'll want to do things that aren't possible in that language. Then, you'll be more than ready to jump head-first into another language. But you're going to want to get your feet wet with GM. =)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version