Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TLOZ - New Link To The Past (Animated Title screen, New Items!)  (Read 10429 times)

TLOZ - New Link To The Past (Animated Title scre...
« on: March 11, 2019, 12:45:19 pm »
The Legend Of Zelda: New Link To The Past

This title screen is influenced and designed by how the major zones are located in the overworld. Death Mountain (top left), Hyrule Castle (top middle), Kakariko village (top right), and pasture (center) of Hyrule. Made by Elisha https://elisharamos.wordpress.com/

Greetings my fellow friends and Hylians. I started a few threads back in the day under the names of “Renascence Of Evil” & “Mirror Worlds” and have now settled with the name “New Link To The Past” for this game as the name cannot describe this game any more accurate than that.

If you have kept yourself up to date regarding the development of this game, then you might already know that this project begun in 2004, and was later initiated 2008. I've worked very hard on this game for far too long but with a few basic principles in mind:

1) Stay true to the original ALTTP.

This has always been my main principle and my ultimate guideline ever since I first initiated this project. I begun picturing myself in third person only to ask myself what my thoughts would be upon booting up the game for the first time. What would I want to expect? What would the previous and original developers' thoughts be if they ever decided to play it? What truly new can offer? And lastly—how on earth can I stay true to the original?

This old 90's 2D frame-by-frame game of course with its technical limitations to this day still manages to appeal to both old generations as well as new. This is why I am solo building—pixels by pixels—a game from the ground up as well as taking my time to do so to give the person who decide to play this fan-game the absolute full experience of a brand new ALTTP.

2) Don't alter previous assets that will play a significant part in the authenticity of the game.

I don't want to create a fan-game built out of assets that derive from other games as those assets already belong to their respective titles and would have torn the authenticity of this game to pieces. I see many fan-game developers do this for example; by manipulating tile sets just because it can be done in a way to look authentic for their own fan versions. I know very well that if I could spot a single tile from another game in my own creation that it would unfortunately (and maybe for the best) bother me to the point of me loosing all excitement and wishful thinking of originality and authenticity. This keeps me on the right track as I am designing original content (both new and old) as I deem fit and of course without diverting from the original style of the game.

3) Don't use previous enemy-/boss-sprites.

I definitely don't want to re-introduce all previous ALTTP bosses as mains and instead I chose to put them on a shelf for now as they will very much come in handy later. I have created boss-sprites that are new, original, and unique to their respective counter-items of which I already have demonstrated a few in the past.

Hidemaro Fujibayashi said it the best during the making of Breath Of The Wild that they wanted more time to make the game as interesting as possible. I respect everyone involved in making that decision as I too want to maintain a very full and authentic experience similar to the one we first had upon booting up the original ALTTP for the first time. Surely it has taken me a very long time to get to this point, but I am a one-man-band so there is that.

The original consists of 256×256 (65,536) tiles. Double that (131,072) and you have both Light World and Dark World (interior design, dungeon design, Soras River, Master sword-area, and under castle bridge excluded). My original tile sets for this game are about 50×50 thus far. I have had my work cut out for me that is for sure. My over world maps are 100% original and true to the original in terms of carefully structured zones, pathways, secrets, puzzles, and obstacles as I've studied the original ALTTP-map for years now and know what works and what doesn't.

The Zelda franchise is very dear to me as well as for many others and there is a lot at stake if I cannot fulfill people's expectations about this game. I want to demonstrate and reflect all those years in originality and authenticity when this game is given its first trailer. So with all this said—let us dive into what I have in store for you Hylians today. I apologize in advance for not being a native English man.

Story plot & synopsis

Show content
Link's father and sister are traveling by horse and carriage late at night to get to Kakariko Village by morning. They are going there to sell merchandise to earn their livelihood.

During this ominous and rainy night, an unnerving feeling of unrest sweeps over them as the abyss dark night in a single strike of thunder evolves into chaos. A big gruesome laugh is suddenly heard through the thick pouring rain, as a ball in chains appears through it and strikes their carriage.

A lightning strike make a giant being appear on the castle bridge.

The carriage is on fire, the screen switches. A dark silhouette of a giant bearded being is holding Link’s sister in its left hand, as she in panic is stuck in its firm grip. The flames of the carriage cast light on the bridge to set the mood of this sinister event with its flickering light play. Link’s father rushes up to the giant with a pitchfork as three clenching strikes followed by the giant's laugh of pity launches Link’s father into the water...

Moments later...

Link, still asleep at this time, awakens by the entrance door slamming open, as his soaking wet father enters through the pouring rain and tells him that his sister is gone and that there was nothing he could do to prevent it.

He drops face-first towards the parquet floor as Link now is seen hammering on two gravestones that belongs to his now deceased family. The hammer breaks and Link sits mute in the rain.

2 years later—the morning rooster awakens and wake Link up with a loud !@#$%-a-doodle-do. Link get out of bed to open his treasure chest where he stores his broken hammer which now has become a family relic in remembrance of his family. He is accustomed to always put it in his pouch  and bring it along with him at the start of each day.
Link exit the house only to be greeted by a thick fog coming from the chilly morning dew. Link hears a giant squeal which he realize is coming from his lost horse he haven't seen for all this time. Link can hear the loud squeal again as he now know that the sound is coming from the pasture-area to the East of Link’s home.

Link spot his horse over at the pasture as it indicates in gestures that it is in panic and that something is terribly wrong and about to happen. The other cattle also seem to have vanished which was supposedly in the pasture before Link went to bed—but the gate is now wide open.

As Link walks towards the horse in a calmly manner to earn its trust as he is not sure it recognizes him anymore, a ghostly figure appears for a brief moment which scares the horse and takes off into the forbidden forest—Lost Woods.

Link, not sure what happened to the horse, gives chase after it through an entrance that haven't been there before—at least not to his knowledge.

Link finds himself standing on an old suspension bridge leading further into the grove.

Link spot his horse again but this time it is laying in a fetal position on a large stem surrounded by Bokomoblins just across the bridge.

One of them has a sword which seem to indicate that he is the leader among their little group of four. The Bokomoblins are all are circling the stem to lock the horse in place and disable its escape. Link finds a stick on the ground which he use to fend them off. Upon defeating the Bokomoblins, the horse however, leap off a ledge further into the dense forest.

The ghostly shape appears yet again and present itself as Link's sister.

New & Unique Items

Show content

- for camping. Includes campfire for cooking and sleeping bag to sleep.

The TENT is a new addition to the game and will be multi-purposed. It features a cooking/brewing mechanic that will enable you to save money on potions. Instead, you will gather the materials needed from across Hyrule. Once you have done so, navigate to TENT via the inventory and use it from anywhere in the overworld. By using TENT, Link will set camp overnight and the screen will fix itself to where you chose to use the item. A campfire with a cooking-pot on top will appear and be available only in this area for cooking/brewing what you need. Remember the old hag in the original ALTTP? Yeah – her… You wont be getting our Rupees anymore! The tent also features REST & SLEEP that will be useful for turning day to night and vice versa as you will need to make use of the different time zones for various reasons.

– allows Link to remotely pick up objects and carry them over a limited distance.

After some research it was obvious the HOOK-BEETLE from Skyward Sword would make the cut into the game, but as you may notice the change of name to “Command-Beetle” as I believe that it is more accurate to what it will be used for in this game. The beetle was a fan favorite and served no real purpose throughout the respective game it came from rather than just dropping bombs on top of enemies, as I have made sure will not be the case for this game. It will be just as important as the other items who made it into NLTTP. However. You will be able to pick up objects and remotely guide them for as long as you have STAMINA which is the magic-meter in this game. Pick up your bombs, or light objects laying around as long as they are spherical in terms of shape. It will certainly be fun solving puzzles in 2D with this beetle as I have many ideas for puzzles with this mechanic.

– an upgraded version of hammer.

The original ALTTP had wooden pegs as obstacles for the hammer to take care of. I will make the hammer in this game upgradable as I will introduce iron-pegs for more puzzle-solving and for environmental aesthetics.

– to stun enemies, deal more damage, and effect objects affected of darkness.

The Moon Boomerang is also a new addition to the game. It is the third upgrade to the normal boomerang and will effect objects that are affected by darkness. Throw the boomerang at en enemy in Dark World and it will deal massive damage as it is a creature of darkness. Zombies will instantly perish from contact with this boomerang. This boomerang will also have a significant purpose in the game which has to do with collecting ghosts.

– translated version of Book and contains secrets about Light World.

Yes, the Book of Secrets will contain secrets about Hyrule. The general idea I have for this book is that you’ll have to pay a tingle-fee to have it translated. Once translated you will know that it contains information like the Sea Charts in Wind Waker. With this book you will receive hints on Piece of Heart-locations, World Boss-locations, as well as valuable information about bug-hunting.

– use to turn objects and enemies to stone.

The name originates from the Syrian mountain goddess which inspired me to re-design a cane now possessing the ability to turn objects to stone. It will work as a combination of Magic Powder and Cane of Somaria from the original, and Mirror Shield in Wind Waker of which the purple ChuChu turns into stone from being struck by light. Cane of Liluri will function in a similar way and turn enemies and objects to stone upon contact and will mostly be used to solve puzzles within dungeons.

– use to see through lies and mirages.

Definitely one of my favourite items throughout the series. This was a no-brainer to me as I want things not visible to the naked eye to be found specifically by using this item. The item itself is self-explanatory and don’t need further information.

– a magical rod, used to permanently reveal mirages.

One thing about Lens of Truth in OoT that aggravated me back then was the need to blindly navigate dungeons because the magic-meter completely dried out. Permarod will complement that by using this rod on mirages only seen with Lens of Truth will permanently reveal them. It does have more purposes too though.

– enables Link to walk underwater.

Another no-brainer. Underwater exploration – hell yeah! This item is influenced and inspired from Wind Waker and OoT and will have multi-purpose in the game. Equip the Iron Boots to explore under water or withstand heavy winds like in Wind Waker. The boots will be used to cross Gerudo Desert as the winds there are furious.

– increases Link’s defense as well as enabling him to walk under water for unlimited time.

Upgrade to the Hero’s Tunic and will be handed down by the Zoras as a token of respect. This tunic enables Link to walk underwater for as long as he needs to stay cooled. Underwater exploration will not be the main focus in this game, but it will be significant, pleasing, and rewarding enough to experience. If nothing else, this garment is cool to wear.

– enables Link to stay in his human self while in Dark World.

This mask possess the ability to maintain Link’s human form in Dark World and work pretty much exactly like Moon Pearl. Does it need more explanation? Yes – it does. The difference between ALTTP and my NLTTP is that the original had a bunny-Link that couldn’t fight, and I am god-damn expanding on that idea – making bunny-Link able to fight back. This is the reason why Moon Pearl can suck a carrot as it didn’t make sense for me back then that bunny-Link couldn’t use his weapons when he first entered Dark World so now the bunny is equipped and ready to rock—paper—scissor with the new Mask of Light.

– use to attract and repel objects made of metals.

Yeah-baby! Introducing the Magnet and will work like Magnetic Glove in Oracle of Seasons and Four Swords. Remember those annoying balls in Eastern Palace in ALTTP? Well I sure don’t...any more, as I pulled every god-damn ball out of the building with the Magnet! It will also be a chick-magnet but more on that later. (Bunny Hood is the hint).

Official Concepts

Show content
Link Concepts

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I will add the title screen, some GUI elements, day-n-night cycles explanation, puzzles, more story elements once I have time to present them to you guys.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:12:03 pm by Aeranima »
Re: TLOZ - New Link To The Past (Story Update/Te...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 01:29:45 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
ooh, this looks nice! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
ooh, this looks nice! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Adding "Location spoilers" now. ^^
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:25 pm »
This looks awesome! Keep up the good progress, can't wait to see more in-game progress!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:09 am »
This looks awesome! Keep up the good progress, can't wait to see more in-game progress!

Thanks man! :)
Re: TLOZ - New Link To The Past (Animated Title ...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:32 pm »
It has potential and promise. I look forward to more of this. The bearded giant is interesting indeed.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:48 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh wow, yeah, this is looking fantastic!
And, man, that animated title gif is so good. :o

I like the vision, concepts, story - everything.
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:27:14 pm »
Thanks guys for your kind words. I will post areas soon. Keep an eye on the topic for once they arrive!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 01:47:34 am »
Came back to check this out. Loving the progress! If you ever need a beta tester I'm down for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 52 queries.