Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Blu-ray Drives Won't play Blu-ray Movies  (Read 1446 times)

First Blu-ray Drives Won't play Blu-ray Movies
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:03:03 pm »
  • w00t
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/11/1815258

Apparently the first Blue-ray drives for home computers will only be useful as storage mediums and won't play commercial Blu-ray movies.  How ironic. 

Personally I think this whole DRM issue is getting out of hand.  I don't even see the use for HD video anyway.  Then again, I'm not really a videophile, so I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

I just don't feel like spending over $1000 for a storage drive, plus the cost of write-once discs.  An external hard drive would be a better investment.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
Re: First Blu-ray Drives Won't play Blu-ray Mov...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:46:43 pm »
I dont see the point either way. People already bought tons of DVDs and are happy about them. It will have to take atleast another decade for DVDs to become obsolete.

Blu-Ray and HD DVD should be used for storage of other stuff first.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:58:09 pm »
I just love how comapnies are just about finished placing obscure films like "Zombie Attack 5" and "Monster from the Prehistoric Planet" on regular DVD format and now it's starting all over again. I somehow think it's going to be a long time before I buy something like "Modern Problems" for my blu ray player.  :P
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html

tippz

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 02:39:28 pm »
I dont see the point either way. People already bought tons of DVDs and are happy about them. It will have to take atleast another decade for DVDs to become obsolete.

that is because most people haven't seen HD footage. HD footage is CRAZY! The amount of detail present is amazing. Not to mention that more and more people are opting for big screen TVs with HD support. They will want to use that.

On the flipside if you have quality DVDs that are properly mastered you can upconvert them to get a sharper picture, though not true HD...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 02:43:51 pm »
I don't even see the use for HD video anyway.  Then again, I'm not really a videophile, so I wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Oh, you would notice. It's pretty much impossible to NOT notice.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 02:53:32 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

yea but...why would you do that when you could just get an external hdd for a fraction of the price AND that holds at least 5 times the ammount of space as a blu-ray or HD-DVD disc?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 05:05:32 pm »
  • w00t
Oh, you would notice. It's pretty much impossible to NOT notice.

But is the difference worth $4000+ for a big screen TV with HD, $1000+ for a Blu-Ray player, and $20+ for all new Blu-ray discs?  Not to mention the costs of getting regular cable programming in hi-def.

Besides, the article is about PC Blu-ray drives, not standalone Blu-ray players for your TV.  Unless you've got a 40-inch widescreen monitor (yet another huge expense), you won't notice the high-definition.  I believe the only computer that will play Blu-ray discs currently is a Sony laptop.  A laptop!  How can you notice a difference on a 15" screen? 

I'll stick with our $10 DVDs playing on our $30 DVD player, connected to our 27" TV that's lasted us 20 years, thankyouverymuch.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 47 queries.

anything