Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapping the Overworld  (Read 19846 times)

Ryuza

That one guy
Re: Mapping the Overworld
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 02:42:48 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
wouldn't it be 320x256 for the room size?
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 02:45:48 pm »
Whoops, typo. Thnx for noticing.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 02:48:57 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
yep, also, who specifically is going to map? I'd assume everyone who's able to map would but if multiple people do it then we would have clashing rooms. We could have a small amount of people map and then one person go back over everything to make sure it matches up. this has probably already been discussed but I was just wondering.
<- Koholint Island - MC Style  <- Link's Awakening Photo Recolors  <- Wind Waker 3D Resources <- Super Mario Bros Crossover
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 03:03:26 pm »
I can map as long as I know what tileset we're using.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:46 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Thats mainly what I've been waiting for too. I really want to map :)
We need some to map the underworld too (inside houses/dungeons/etc.) that probably won't come till later though, anyone here good at that kinda stuff?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:08:30 pm by RyuKage2007 »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 03:14:32 pm »
It's the same thing, essentially. I can do both.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I'm just not too good at mapping dungeons, not sure why but I just do better sticking to the overworld. probably cause thats mainly what I work on, if I had all the tiles needed for dungeons I could probably work on them.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »
Well if you want to go mapping, I suggest you help out ripping resources. I know it's boring, but it has to be done. For the mapping part I think anyone who wants to help out can do it. But for the clashing of parts, I suggest that when someone starts a part he would post that he is going to do it. Like calling a veto on it or something. And when he has finished, others can comment or post variations on it for the parts they don't agree on.

I think we should focus first on the areas up to the first dungeon: Mabe Village, Toronbo Shores and Mysterious Woods. For these areas I think we need to rip are Hyrule Town, The north and south fields, The Minish Woods and Veil Falls.

I agree on it that one person has to put the maps together an look for inconsistencies. He also compiles the tilesheet for the game.

The dungeons parts will be a bit more difficult. The dungeontiles in MC have elemental themes, the dungeons in LA don't. The themes of LA are visible in the end bosses and the shapes of the dungeons. Just recoloring tiles won't do. We'll have to look for a solution there.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:03 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
BEHOLD! I don't think it will cover everything, but I did collect many things over the years. It hasn't been updated with newer things either like Miles' item sheet. Last time anything was added to it may have been...idk, December?

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmwt22ujydj

(Forgot the link)
^what about that? isn't that the ripped graphics from most of the areas?

EDIT: heres a map of all the overworld stuff that we need done:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5346/lamcoutlinemapk.png
and heres a map of all the underworld stuff (excluding tail cave):
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4892/lamcoutlinemaphouses.png

The black outlined areas are accessible without a sword the red outlined areas are only accessible with the sword. The squares are 320x256 so if you want we could update that with the rooms as we make them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:34:32 pm by RyuKage2007 »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »
The archive I posted has distorted colors. Not that it CAN'T be used, it's just that it SHOULDN'T be used.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:37 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
ah, hadn't noticed that. I compared it with the TSR tiles and they seem right (the TSR ones). could we just turn those into tile sheets and use them?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:14:10 pm by RyuKage2007 »
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:45 pm »
BEHOLD! I don't think it will cover everything, but I did collect many things over the years. It hasn't been updated with newer things either like Miles' item sheet. Last time anything was added to it may have been...idk, December?

(Forgot the link)

The black outlined areas are accessible without a sword the red outlined areas are only accessible with the sword. The squares are 320x256 so if you want we could update that with the rooms as we make them.

Nice maps, can serve pretty well as checklists. But let's focus first. There are a few questions that still need answers.

1) What program do we use to make the maps?
2) What file format do we make the maps and tilesheets in?
3) Where can we dump the ripped resources?

For question 1, Infin had offered to make a map editor, but I don't know if he is still interested and willing to do it. Additionally from what I've seen on the forum Xfixium has an 'Ocarina Room Editor' and Windy also has been working on a Map Editor. With these I don't know how usable they are. Jeod and I have been using GIMP in the past to work on a Koholinth LttP style. We code use that or Paint.NET, Photoshop or another graphics tool.

2) Will be mostly dependent on the first question, but if there are options. I would suggest JPEG, because it is smaller than BMP and I thought to have read somewhere that Gamemaker still has some trouble.

3) Is more address to site staff. But we could also make a separate topic for collecting ripped tiles. Or has someone some webspace.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:18 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
I don't see anything wrong with using GM to make the maps and then merging them into the main file. That's what I do but I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it. I'm not too experienced in this kind of stuff so I'm sure theres some reason not to use GM for mapping.

^See answer 1

That one I'm not too sure on.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:53 pm »
Well this place won't be a resource dump. The file format should be png or bmp because it prevents color loss. (JPG will have color loss when it saves)

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2009, 10:49:20 pm »

(Forgot the link)

Nice maps, can serve pretty well as checklists. But let's focus first. There are a few questions that still need answers.

For question 1, Infin had offered to make a map editor, but I don't know if he is still interested and willing to do it. Additionally from what I've seen on the forum Xfixium has an 'Ocarina Room Editor' and Windy also has been working on a Map Editor. With these I don't know how usable they are. Jeod and I have been using GIMP in the past to work on a Koholinth LttP style. We code use that or Paint.NET, Photoshop or another graphics tool.

2) Will be mostly dependent on the first question, but if there are options. I would suggest JPEG, because it is smaller than BMP and I thought to have read somewhere that Gamemaker still has some trouble.

3) Is more address to site staff. But we could also make a separate topic for collecting ripped tiles. Or has someone some webspace.

1. There will have to be stronger communication on this one. If the easiest way to do it is use GM and merge the rooms together than so be it. I think Infini suggested a room maker, but I don't think he meant he was going to create one. Although that would be swell. I personally have another room editor kinda like Ore that I'm working on, but more advanced. It's hardware accelerated, allows for many many more layers, and can export a project file directly to any GM project. Thus we could make a room with it and just hand it over to staff to export at anytime. It's just not finished. Also, Windy could have a card up his sleeve with his map editor.

2. jpg is right out. Yes it is smaller on disk, but as was pointed out, is a "lossy" format. To make things easy, .png should be the one and only image format we use.
  • Pyxosoft

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2009, 11:17:26 pm »
  • RyuKage2007
Not to argue or anything but Infini was considering making one:

* What program do we use to create the maps?
I could create a simple map editor if you wish. Its not a hard task.

Anyway, I think ORE looks pretty good, haven't used it much though. I'm assuming the other room editor you were talking about was GMare, that'd be pretty cool to use when you finish it, plus you said it was similar to GM's room maker so it wouldnt be hard for people like me to use.

I wouldn't mind sticking with GM for room design but thats just my opinion. Not sure if it would cause problems or not but we could just use various room editors depending on the mappers preference.

Also for dumping graphic resources, we could probably make an account on a image hosting site and use that.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 01:23:16 am »
Even if we make a photobucket or boxnet account or something, odds are we'd just end up saving all the images to our hard drives and compiling them into our own little folders.

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 01:27:58 am »
  • RyuKage2007
yeah, thats usually what ends up happening, I've got a ton of stuff on my hardrive :P. I just figured if we set up an account we could give everyone access to the stuff so they could do what they liked with the files.
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube

Jeod

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 01:28:42 am »
basically I made a mediafire account to upload all my resources in a folder called "ZFGC Files".

Ryuza

That one guy
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 01:32:06 am »
  • RyuKage2007
sounds good :).
  • RyuKage2007's Youtube
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 77 queries.