Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halo Reach thoughts?  (Read 2880 times)

Halo Reach thoughts?
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:20:38 pm »
What do you guys think of Halo Reach? Biggest game of 2010, dramatic irony in the plot, etc. I think it's gonna be pretty damn good. Better than Modern Warfare 2 (which I loved). Also having watched the trailer I think it's not just Ghost from MW2... I have to buy a game if one of the squadmates has a skull on their mask/helmet :-[
Re: Halo Reach thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:43:41 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I think the "Biggest game of 2010" claim is a little self-centered and ridiculous right now. They have no way of knowing what'll come out of 2010, especially not late 2010.

That said, I watched the trailer and it looked like any other Halo game. I wouldn't really know, because I've never played them, but yeah.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:33:13 pm »
  • Minalien
I think Microsoft needs to stop !@#$% milking the Halo name.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 12:12:18 am »
  • Xiphirx
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:08:16 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 04:13:08 am »
It hasn't been milked nearly as much as Nintendo franchises, or Call of Duty. I don't see you can even consider them to be milking this franchise. They've only released three games in the main series, Reach being a fourth. ODST does not count, as it was more of an expansion to Halo 3. If releasing four games in a successful IP over the span of nine years is considered milking the franchise, then I'm going to eat my cat.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 04:22:16 am »
  • :D
It hasn't been milked nearly as much as Nintendo franchises, or Call of Duty. I don't see you can even consider them to be milking this franchise. They've only released three games in the main series, Reach being a fourth. ODST does not count, as it was more of an expansion to Halo 3. If releasing four games in a successful IP over the span of nine years is considered milking the franchise, then I'm going to eat my cat.

ODST certaintly counts-- although it WAS originally intended to be an expansion, they turned it into a full-fledged game, and it was sold at full price at retail. You're also forgetting Halo Wars.

And of course it hasn't been milked as much as Nintendo's franchises, nintendo has had 20 years with its main series', while halo has only been around since 2001 or so.

That said, I like the halo series, and I'll play the next one.  The reach trailer was pretty uninteresting to me tho <_<

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:52:17 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah Halo is definitely not milked. You want milking look at EA games or pretty much any franchise that's been beaten to the ground. Halo games keep getting better and better with each installment.

I wish I could say I would be enjoying Reach when it comes out, but my Xbox is dead again :(
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 04:59:09 am »
Yeah Halo is definitely not milked. You want milking look at EA games or pretty much any franchise that's been beaten to the ground. Halo games keep getting better and better with each installment.

I wish I could say I would be enjoying Reach when it comes out, but my Xbox is dead again :(

Sell it to a 13 year old at a random school far away from where you live for almost full price, buy a new one, enjoy Reach :P
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:58:15 am »
I seriously loathed the first Halo game, never got any interest in all the other installments. My Xbox got stolen as well and never bothered to by a new one.

Have to agree here. You know it is seriously milked when they don't bother to number the games anymore and just put the year of release behind it. And not even missing a year to release a new one at full price.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 04:26:37 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
How long until we get Halo: Legend of the Lost Master Chief's Daughter: The Movie: The Game: The Book?

I liked the first Halo game. Played a bit of 2. Played a bit of 3's multiplayer at a friends house. I liked those as well, though not at much.

ODST was just the first stepping stone to a massive milking. Reach is next, then the movie. Oh wait they also have the anime coming out. I suppose it's already half way milked to death. Trading cards and Christmas Ornaments are next I suppose.

Seriously, how many spin offs of the story do they need. I suppose two isn't that bad, some good games had good 'side expansions' (see Half-Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift), but really, anything beyond these (Anime, Movie, etc) is just milking it.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 04:52:13 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Except Halo ODST played much better than Halo 3 did. I don't see a step forward as a milking. When a game surpasses a prior installment in almost every way, it's definitely not milking it.

As for the "anime" (which it can't even be called that, since it's a collection of short stories by different animators); it's fanservice. Remember when they made the Super Mario Bros Super Sunday Show? Was that milking the Mario series?

And to the movie- that was long abandoned like 2 or 3 years ago. I seem to remember a Mario movie that came out too............ but nobody complained of that being milked.

It's not really right or fair to say a series is being milked when they're simply making new installments for their franchise. If someone can honestly say this is milked, they need to take a hard look at something like Zelda, which has had several games tailored to specific demographics, comics, "Sound and Drama" cds, a television series, several promotional games, etc. Mario, Zelda, Madden, Need for Speed, and plenty of other games are far worse than this, and only a couple of those should even be considered "milked".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:22:33 pm by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:35:42 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I think you can only call it "milked" when they stop making quality products for the franchise.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 05:52:49 pm »
How long until we get Halo: Legend of the Lost Master Chief's Daughter: The Movie: The Game: The Book?

I liked the first Halo game. Played a bit of 2. Played a bit of 3's multiplayer at a friends house. I liked those as well, though not at much.

ODST was just the first stepping stone to a massive milking. Reach is next, then the movie. Oh wait they also have the anime coming out. I suppose it's already half way milked to death. Trading cards and Christmas Ornaments are next I suppose.

Seriously, how many spin offs of the story do they need. I suppose two isn't that bad, some good games had good 'side expansions' (see Half-Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift), but really, anything beyond these (Anime, Movie, etc) is just milking it.
Jee that is nothing yet. Look at Pokémon. That has a !@#$% load of merchandising and side story games. What number and season are they for the movie and series. And people still love it all.

A franchise can be milked as much as they want, but as long as a lot of people buy the stuff and most importantly enjoy it all, there isn't much of a problem.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 06:57:35 pm »
I think you can only call it "milked" when they stop making quality products for the franchise.

Exactly.  It ain't "milked" until what is produced goes down in quality.  Though each Halo game I've enjoy less as a game and more as a story, I'm still happy to see Bungie making Halo games.  Bungie makes great games. 
Reach (as far as Bungie has stated) is the last Halo game they plan on making and that is when I fear it'll go down hill.  I have faith Frankie and 343 Industries will keep it from going completely down hill but we'll see.

As for Reach, I'm excited but not nearly as excited as I was for 3.  I hope they change the game play up a bit.  ODST was refreshing but they need to change it up a bit more.  I've grown a bit tired of the regular Halo formula.  We'll see how the Beta turns out.

under the alias DarkLink6235
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 02:22:39 am »

Right, and the Halo games are not going down in quality. Halo: CE was great. Halo 2 was better. Halo 3 is arguably better or worse, but it was still great. Halo Wars is the only game in the series I don't consider AAA. ODST was great too. I have a lot of faith in Reach being as good as Halo 3, if not better. With a brand new engine things should be refreshing. Also I'm happy to see more games where you play as a new Spartan, or a new ODST. I love Master Chief, and I'm hoping we have one more game with him since who knows what the hell happens after Halo 3's ending. I'd be very satisfied if after Reach they made a sequel a few years later to Halo 3, that would end the series pleasantly in my mind. Of course I doubt they'll walk away from the IP, but as far as games in the main series go it's possible.
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 02:41:24 am »
It's making them millions of dollars, why wouldn't they keep making Halo products? =/
the a o d c
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 05:12:33 am »
It's making them millions of dollars, why wouldn't they keep making Halo products? =/

Right, but that really isn't what this topic was meant to be about. It's more about Ralo Reach itself, not meant to question the entire franchise
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 73 queries.