Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Deity Sword Recruitment and development.  (Read 6383 times)

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
The Legend of Zelda: The Deity Sword Recruitment...
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:43 am »
  • An aspiring designer and writer.
Hello I am sorta new here and I want to be able to make my own Zelda Fan Game. I really want to do this but I have no idea how to do it on my own.
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Deity Sword Recruit...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:49 am »
Please read the rules before posting in the Zelda Projects board. Also I moved this topic here to Discussion because you are not recruiting anyone for anything specific right now, and also because since you are talking about the process of development then the Discussion board is most relevant.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:06:49 am »
  • It's just Max.
Dude, a killer way to get people to help you is to give them some idea of what you want help WITH. Right now, I have no idea what a diety sword is, or what kind of game you want to make, what system you're using to build it, how it will look, what you need help with, etc. With more information, I'd be better informed, as a reader, as to whether I'd want to help you, or if I even could.

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »
Okay I want to make a game that has really good graphics yet is really simple to put together. I have no idea how to make a game since there were issues with a VP at my school who tried to expel me. I missed my hard coding classes and I don't know what to do.
I would need help deciding what kind of engine the game would run on and what engine to make it with. I also need help with the spriting and gameplay layout and overworld mapping and spriting. I can take care of the story and plot content as well as weapon designing but I'm not sure how to do it so it works when you implement it into the game.

As for the Deity Sword I made an enlarged version for detail purposes if you would like to see it. There are several forms of it and there are also levels of it like most other weapons in Zelda games. It has Lightworld and Darkworld forms. As well as blessed forms from the spirits. I've even sent even more detailed designs to some friends who make custom swords for display and actual practices.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:07:53 pm by WolfPupLink »
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:27 am »
My advice is not to go for the "really good graphics" at first and settle with mediocre graphics. First, look into some free available engines and get the gist of them. A quick google search resulted in these links http://www.gamedev.net/topic/407279-game-engines-for-beginners--description--prices/ and http://corpocrat.com/2010/09/21/best-free-game-engines-for-game-developers/ which should help you further.

Second, start by making a GDD for your game in which you describe the game you want to make. Before you start to create resources and do some programming.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:01:18 am by Niek »

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »
I would like to use these but my computer is so slow it won't run on it. Hence the biggest reason I'm asking for help making it. I could watch over what others do for this game and Direct it in a way but that's about all I'm good for.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:38 am »
Not to sound rude, but I doubt your pc is that slow.  You would have to be running like a pentium III or worse...  Game Maker runs perfectly fine on my crappy netbook that is over 2 years old running off an Intel Atom n270 and an Intel gma 945 graphics accelerator.

I'm sure the Blitz products could run as well.  You could also learn SDL and C++.  Hell, even XNA 3.0 ran on this netbook with basic 2d operations.

I understand you are new, but you shouldn't let your hardware "issue" dictate your creative process.  I can confidently say that no one will do all the work for you.  The only way that would happen is if your are Miyamoto in disguise.  The only way you will receive contribution from others is for you to put forth demonstrations of your game.  Then, the community can help guide you in how to improve and what not.  Everyone has awesome fan game ideas, but no one is going to make it for you.  YOU have to take the initiative.  Even if you don't succeed, you'll gain ,hopefully, valuable insight and knowledge into the world of video game design and programming.

Just for the lols, system requirements for Game Maker 8 and 7 pulled from wikipedia:
System requirements for Game Maker 8.x:

* Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.5 or Mac OS X 10.6
    * DirectX 8 or later
    * DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory
    * Pentium or equivalent processor
    * DirectX 8 compatible sound card
    * 128 MB of memory or greater (noted only in official Game Maker help file documentation)
    * 800×600 or greater screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors
    * A Data Execution Prevention (DEP) will block the execution of the Game Maker 8 development environment. DEP must either be disabled, set to essential Windows Programs and Services Only, or an DEP exception must be created for Game_Maker.exe

System requirements for Game Maker 7.x:

* Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
    * DirectX 8 or later (Windows) or OpenGL (Macintosh)
    * DirectX 8 compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of video memory (Windows) or OpenGL compatible graphics card (Macintosh)
    * Pentium or equivalent processor (Windows) or Intel processor (Macintosh)
    * DirectX 8 compatible sound card (Windows)
    * 128 MB of memory or greater (noted only in official Game Maker help file documentation)
    * 800×600 or greater screen resolution with 16-bit or 32-bit colors

Trust me, unless you have a computer made pre 2001, you can run Game Maker in the least.  Also, here is a link to a game where the creator had very limited hardware and still made a really good game that was released in the last few years on hardware that was very dated for it's time:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/29800/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_2

Just saying, I don't think hardware is your issue.

Don't let this post turn you away from ZFGC, either.  The community is more than happy to help you as you begin your journey into programming should you choose to start it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:57 am »
Sorry to say this, but you won't get help that way. As lead man and the one who will ask most of the credit for it, you will have to do the brunt of the work. And this includes doing work in all departements including programming.

I could watch over what others do for this game and Direct it in a way but that's about all I'm good for.
To be blunt! This is what is considered as sitting on your lazy ass and doing nothing.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:26 am »
Sorry to say this, but you won't get help that way. As lead man and the one who will ask most of the credit for it, you will have to do the brunt of the work. And this includes doing work in all departements including programming.

I could watch over what others do for this game and Direct it in a way but that's about all I'm good for.
To be blunt! This is what is considered as sitting on your lazy ass and doing nothing.

That's what I was trying to say in a somewhat polite/professional way.  This works too though, I guess.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:09:08 am »
  • It's just Max.
Coming from a limited computer background, I believe that your computer could be incapable of running game maker, but I still gotta agree with Niek and the foreshadower, you probably won't be getting anybody to make your game for you based off some sketches of swords. If you're into game design, though, you could chip in with the community project, King of Thieves. It moves a bit slow, but I honestly think we could use some more people in the game design team, no offence to Mirby or Stig if you read this :p. we're just a bit... Low activity. But, anyway wolf pup, if game design is your thing, that could be another option.

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »
I understand where you are both coming from problem is I've tried doing game design and it just doesn't agree no matter how hard I try. If taking all the credit is what you are worried about that wouldn't happen! I don't take all the credit others deserve that's just not how I roll. If all I can do is watch over it or direct it in a way and come up with the items, story, and scenarios then I guess there is nothing I can do. I'm sorry if I seem like a lazy person but the truth is I'm not! I don't like being unable to do anything with my own idea it just burns me up inside.

Also if anybody could give me links to engines that use 2D instead of 3D I would greatly appreciate it.

Honestly I'm just about to cancel it and scrap the whole thing!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:35:48 pm by WolfPupLink »
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
  • It's just Max.
: /    Sorry, I don't have the links you're looking for.

I don't think anyone's accusing you of stealing undo credit, just doubting the likelihood of anyone with enough time to work on creating a game that isn't even their idea. Just based on how I would feel personally, I wouldn't really enjoy or have enough time to dedicate it to manifesting somebody else's ideas, I have very little time to work on my own game.

I am only saying that it seems unlikely, however, it is possible you'd find somebody who wants to make a zelda game but is incapable of coming up with the specifics like items and story. Marginally more likely is somebody who'd work with you as a partner and work WITH you coming up with those.

Also, what do you mean game design doesn't agree? Whenever I use that expression, doesnt agree with me, I've eaten something that upset my stomach. Game design IS designing items, story, enemies, etc.. Basically, what you're talking about doing here.

What I'd suggest to you, if you Really like the ideas you have, find some creative medium you ARE capable of rendering. Games aren't the only things you can use to realise ideas. Some work better as written stories, or comic books, or you could design a trading card game or something. Don't limit yourself to mediums you can't work with.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:33 am »
Also if anybody could give me links to engines that use 2D instead of 3D I would greatly appreciate it.

If you would have clicked Niek's links he provided, you would have found what you are looking for.
I'll try again though, as you are new(USE GOOGLE):
Engines/Programming Libraries that are 2D capable:

XNA 4 and Visual Studio Express
Game Maker 8.1 - www.yoyogames.com
RPG Maker
SDL - www.lazyfoo.net
SFML - www.sfml-dev.org
Construct 2
PyGame with Python

Also, again:not trying to sound rude, if you are saying you are scrapping it just because no one will program it for you shows others that you don't want to go through the effort of programming it yourself.  All of us here at ZFGC started at some point or another.  You'll find that at almost any other fan game forum.  The only people who get specific help on their projects are people who have produced results in a past project of their own.

We are more than glad to give you pointers and help you with your game after you start it yourself.  You more than likely will not find anyone here that will just program your game for you based upon a few images of a sword you hand drew.

You need to start working on the engine yourself or go through our forums here and look at the readily available Zelda engines.  Dlbrooks has had some great Gameboy Zelda styled engines in the past.  Martin is working on a LTTP engine.   There is even a Minish Cap engine around here some where that was started by the community.  Start with one of those(they all use Game Maker in some version or another).

As far as mapping goes: vgmaps.com

Go there and look at all sorts of commercial videogames' maps.  Learn the difference between great layouts and bad layouts based upon how history has perceived great games and bad games.  You could also start out with some basics by just mapping out Zelda 1 styled dungeons.  They are simple yet very fun to do.

Gameplay is gameplay... You could model your game after one already created: A Link to the Past, Adventure of Link, etc.  How the game is played and handled through menus and such is an example of gameplay.  You have the templates there.

Just to reiterate: you have to start this yourself.  You have to be the one that starts your project.  Write down your ideas.  Open up game making software and just experiment.  It's actually not that hard.  I have a cousin who is 15 who opened up GameMaker and uninstalled it after 20 minutes because he just didn't want to put forth effort.  You really will not find an end-all newb friendly game engine out there that is respectable.

Also, most of us here wanted someone to make our epic game ideas for us.  What separates us from that point is that we eventually took the initiative and learned game design and development ourselves.  I am sure videogame companies get emails everyday from fans that think they have awesome ideas.  They don't make a new videogame for every fan fic or fan game idea that comes their way.  Even though most of us here are not on that level, we won't do the work for you either.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »
Alright alright I get what you all are saying. I'll try to start it but if I hit a slump I'm not going to be too happy. And Designing swords and Items is what I do. I've made an old school written RPG and have several people playing it along with myself.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I'm sorry, but this is going to be blunt: you have no willpower, and that's most likely the main reason why nobody will help you. You don't sound like you're willing to do anything yourself and you equally sound like you're just going to give up if you can't figure something out the first time.

Alright alright I get what you all are saying. I'll try to start it but if I hit a slump I'm not going to be too happy. And Designing swords and Items is what I do. I've made an old school written RPG and have several people playing it along with myself.

Saying you made an old school, written RPG does not convince people to work with you especially after your first sentence. What I'm getting at here is that you get discouraged way too easily and are not willing to go the extra mile to learn something yourself. Why would anybody want to work with somebody who gives up easily?

Alright, you finally told some of us what you like to do: designing swords and items. You see, this is a start. To help yourself make a team, come out in the open and say you would like to form a team, and that you would like to focus on item design. Get involved with your project rather than yell out, "OHHHHHHHHHHH I NEED PEOPLE TO EVERYTHING FOR ME BECAUSE I'M NOT WILLING ENOUGH TO DO IT."

All raging aside, get some sort of outline together with information on your concept, ask politely for what you need, and show that you actually give a crap about your own project.

• Starforsaken101's DeviantART

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:54 am »
Fine I get it again as I said before. I may sound like you said I do but I'm just not like that. I am however shy almost in the extreme and have little to no experience asking others for help or making a team or group. I would love to make one believe me I'm just bad at using words with this sorta thing. It took me fifteen minutes just to think over what I was going to say in reply.

To anybody who would like to form a team I would greatly be interested in it.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 06:17:22 am »
  • It's just Max.
Well, hopefully this gets sorted out before it turns into an argument  and people get their feelings hurt. :D

About how you like designing items, if you feel like branching out, as I mentioned I'm open to another person joining the game design team of the community project. We've already done the items mostly, but there's still a little detail that needs put in, but if you're willing to branch out from designing things besides items, I would appreciate your help.

Anyway, right now, to be blunt (which seems like a common theme here, haha), I wouldn't want to help you about your project, because you haven't planned enough for it to interest me enough to make an investment. But I do look forward to seeing where you go with this, because although all you have is some swords, they do sound pretty cool. Perhaps when your further, particularly if you need graphical help, I'd be interested.

Also, another thing I've noticed is that nobody wants to commit to helping somebody with a whole game- and that's an endeavour that takes years so it makes sense- but people are a lot more likely to help you out with specifics. Like, oh, I tried to make a sprite of this and it's not looking good, can somebody help, things like that. Just an observation.

WolfPupLink

Wolf Pup Link
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:09 am »
Understood and most of the time being blunt is not always the best thing to do.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 01:52:04 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Understood and most of the time being blunt is not always the best thing to do.

Being blunt is a way of being honest without sugar-coating the words to suit your feelings. I'm blunt with those who sometimes need a little slap in the face; I felt like I needed to be blunt with you because others in the thread were sugar-coating their words and you weren't getting it. You may think being blunt is not the best thing to do  but welcome to the videogame industry. There are going to be leads that will tell you your work isn't good enough, or you're being too slow. Get used to it.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 06:07:44 am »
  • Minalien
1) If Star's post could be considered blunt, then the gods must tremble when I post. I do believe that being blunt is the best policy, because people warp their understanding of sugar-coated words in order to comfort themselves, rather than face the reality of a situation.

2) Wooot, I'm bringing up a dead subject! Yay for beating dead horses. :D

3) To add on to Star's last post, you're going to have to put forth more effort just to land an interview in the first place, let alone what you can expect when you get into the industry. Even on the Indie side of things, you can expect two things; you will never have things handed to you, and you will be devoured by the legions of angry, anonymous gamers who take a look at your work.

My musings at this point are probably not desired or needed, but I'm bored as all hell so I don't care. You shunned sage advice given by many members within this thread, and instead chose to whine about what they didn't do to help you. Even what response you did take, you did not put effort into. You cannot simply say "oh, okay then, I'd like to form a team." That's not going to cut it, and if that's the type of effort we can expect from any game you plan to work on, then you may as well not even start. Look at games, across the board-- every game is a direct reflection of the passion, time, energy, and skill of the development staff (and when you look to the commercial development sector, budget).

If you put little real effort in, you will produce garbage. Forget this "it doesn't matter what others think of your work" nonsense, because it does if you want to get anywhere. Take the time and put forth the effort required to learn. Start small, and build up. Put your current idea on the shelf until you are either skilled enough to work on it alone (hint: if you think you are, then you are not), or have enough skill to be of value to a team. Do not count on starting a team, either-- your best bet is to try to land a position on a team working on somebody else's game ideas until you've got enough experience under your belt that people would be willing to follow your lead. It will take more than a couple days, more than a couple weeks, and more than a couple months before you are at that point. Depending on how slowly you pick things up, it may even take a couple of years.

My suggestion? Learn, and start applying things bit-by-bit to your "big" idea. Don't start out expecting things to be even remotely close to a Zelda game, but put them in anyway. Have a "scrap" project that is a bloated mess of everything you've learned. At several times during your learning cycle, you will toss it and start new "scrap" projects, and each one will become more game-like. The first complete "games" you should make should consists of following tutorials to create clones of popular arcade/casual games such as Pong, Breakout, and Tetris.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 78 queries.