Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What do we honestly want from ZFGC?  (Read 11142 times)

What do we honestly want from ZFGC?
« on: July 11, 2007, 12:07:38 am »
ZFGC was founded for two reasons, 1. To promote Ocarina of Time 2D. and 2. A place for Zelda Fan Game Makers and Game Makers alike to post about their games and post in general. ZFGC has destroyed the first reason under good intent, but is the second reason falling into oblivion? Let's take a look at a few things before we decide.

If we look at both the: Zelda Project Development. and Indie Project Development boards. The Zelda Project Development board currently has 42 topics. While the Indie Project Development currently has 54 topics. Game making takes a lot of work. Let's say roughly 10% of those fan games will get finished. Now i don't want to be a negative nelly, but like i said, Game making takes a lot of work, and games get abandoned all the time when they become too big to make.

Ocarina of Time 2D was the reason everyone came here. It brought people, it brought game makers. It populated the forum with everything needed to make it what it is today.

If more and more people made games, that would be kind of good. That would also mean more and more topics about games that would most likely not get finished. Again, we're talking about roughly 10% of fan games and indie games being finished.

If we really want this forum to get bigger, and more game makers to come and for people to start making games. Then we need to advertise. We need to promote ZFGC to other forums, we need to have sigs on other forums chatting up ZFGC.

If we want to get people interested, we need to promote fan games more, We need to post more comments about games, we need more people playing demo's and giving feedback, looking at screenshots and giving feedback. People make games for others to play, if we aren't looking at more games that people make and commenting on them, then whats the point in people making games?

Yes, this was kind of random.

Please give some feedback on improving the forum and general game making.

Re: What do we honestly want from ZFGC?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:15:56 am »
God damn it, I was going to make an announcement to this effect, but whatever, I'll just comment in this one and share some of my ideas that I had.

I had an idea about the Zelda and Indie Development areas in general, so here it is from a text of something larger I was planning:

Secondly, the Zelda and Indie Project Development boards are going to be tweaked due to confusion with the Graveyard.  The Graveyard isn’t for posting predevelopment projects!  It is for dead development projects that are not being worked on anymore.  With that being said, the Zelda and Indie Development areas are going to get gutted a bit as old topics are cleaned out.  Also, all topics in the Graveyard will be like topics in the Forum Archive; you won’t be able to post in them.   

About the Development area, I was thinking about bringing back the Ideas and Fan Fiction.  This is mainly due to people still being confused over where to just post ideas or where to post fan fiction at all.  Although not a lot of people post fan fiction, separating ideas out of development if they are not intended to be developed will be a good thing.  It was also make the area look more like Invisionfree and past iterations of this place, so the nostalgia will be there too.  However, I will ask for your ideas on that before it gets implemented.

I'm going to move this to Forum Feedback though and put in a news item for it as well though, I hope you don't mind.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:51:32 am »
God damn it, I was going to make an announcement to this effect, but whatever, I'll just comment in this one and share some of my ideas that I had.

I had an idea about the Zelda and Indie Development areas in general, so here it is from a text of something larger I was planning:

Secondly, the Zelda and Indie Project Development boards are going to be tweaked due to confusion with the Graveyard.  The Graveyard isn’t for posting predevelopment projects!  It is for dead development projects that are not being worked on anymore.  With that being said, the Zelda and Indie Development areas are going to get gutted a bit as old topics are cleaned out.  Also, all topics in the Graveyard will be like topics in the Forum Archive; you won’t be able to post in them.   

About the Development area, I was thinking about bringing back the Ideas and Fan Fiction.  This is mainly due to people still being confused over where to just post ideas or where to post fan fiction at all.  Although not a lot of people post fan fiction, separating ideas out of development if they are not intended to be developed will be a good thing.  It was also make the area look more like Invisionfree and past iterations of this place, so the nostalgia will be there too.  However, I will ask for your ideas on that before it gets implemented.

I'm going to move this to Forum Feedback though and put in a news item for it as well though, I hope you don't mind.

Sorry, if i had known i would have waited.

I don't mind about moving it and the news item and such.

The Graveyard isn’t for posting predevelopment projects!  It is for dead development projects that are not being worked on anymore.

I'm one of the people that wondered about that. I was looking at the graveyard earlier and was wondering if new topics about games go there. I checked the sticky in the Zelda and Indie project boards and it still said how the topics on that board were topics mods would move if it they thought it should and such and said how to post it on the pre-development board, but i looked and couldn't find a pre-development board.

the Zelda and Indie Development areas are going to get gutted a bit as old topics are cleaned out.  Also, all topics in the Graveyard will be like topics in the Forum Archive; you won’t be able to post in them.

That makes sense especially making the graveyard read-only.

About the Development area, I was thinking about bringing back the Ideas and Fan Fiction.  This is mainly due to people still being confused over where to just post ideas or where to post fan fiction at all.  Although not a lot of people post fan fiction, separating ideas out of development if they are not intended to be developed will be a good thing.

Thats a good idea. Although like you said not a lot of people seem to post fan-fiction. Maybe having a fan-fiction board will intrigue people so they decide to try and post a fan-fiction. Also, if someone is scrolling down the forum and they see their are new post's in the fan fiction it may incline them to post and rate the fan fiction.

It was also make the area look more like Invisionfree and past iterations of this place, so the nostalgia will be there too.  However, I will ask for your ideas on that before it gets implemented.

Indeed. It will also make it look more organized.

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:11:44 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
We need a spam board! ^^

No, but seriously. We just need to get more people making games... I, for one stopped programming because it took up WAYYYY to much time and killed my social life. I might start up another project but not obsess over it and starting trying out new stuff for like 10 hours a day. >_<. I remeber during the school year i would come home at like 3PM and just sit there on my computer tell like 10PM and be like. "woh wtf, whered the day go?"

So yah, I dunno >_> I might start working on some projects again, but I dont want it to be a social liferuiner. I'm not 100% sure where I stand on this issue.

But, I know for sure that we need more game makers developing games and having the community more centered around fangames, NOT off-topic and community speech. Although spam is fun sometimes ^^
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 02:20:48 am »
Sorry, if i had known i would have waited.

I don't mind about moving it and the news item and such.
Meh, it worked out better this way.

Thats a good idea. Although like you said not a lot of people seem to post fan-fiction. Maybe having a fan-fiction board will intrigue people so they decide to try and post a fan-fiction. Also, if someone is scrolling down the forum and they see their are new post's in the fan fiction it may incline them to post and rate the fan fiction.
Yeah, bringing back the Ideas and Fan Fiction as sub-boards of the Zelda and Indie Development section would create two more boards, but it would also serve an important point.  It would bring fan fiction closer to development rather than it being posted in Other Discussion.  It would also allow ideas to just be posted; and that should be encouraged, just posting ideas and not being so stigmatized to that would be a good thing.  Finally, with all of that in place, the actual Zelda and Indie sections would be less cluttered, more organized, and the whole development cycle could be contained and without leaks. 

We need a spam board! ^^
If there is more development occurring, then that would be a possibility.  The diversion of spam, as spam is a diversion, will only work if development is at the same level of activity. 
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:24:24 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
A SPAM BOARD? FO' REAL!?
/cruise control

Lol, that would be so awesome ^^
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:29:49 am »
  • =/
 Well, one thing I really think people need to stop doing is keep their projects secret. I know, you have this awesome idea and want it to be revolutionary when it is released, but it doesn't help us. Even if it is just in idea form, it would be good to type it up and post it. 

I myself, have been thinking of making a programming blog on ZFGC ,discussing all my ideas that I have had. Not sure if it is allowed though.

Anyway, advertising is something else that has to be revamped. If you had seen one of my previous posts, I discussed that we should advertise like we are selling something; Make it seem better then it actually is. Show (Pre-rendered) pictures of huge explosions with Link and Zelda jumping out of a glass window in front, sword in hand, ready to kick some ass. Even if the game sucks in comparison to the screen, we still have people interested and possible joiners. (Especially if we do an Oot2d, saying this is real gameplay yet never releasing a demo.)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 02:33:16 am »
A SPAM BOARD? FO' REAL!?
/cruise control

spam board sucks, makes you look more stupid Well, we need a project that catch people attention like OoT not a community project, just a project that makes people say "I need to join this forum"
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:38:38 am »
  • I murder your toys as well
If we want to attract more people..

The Z must go.

This user is on indefinite hiatus.
  • Facebook - Jeremy Elliott
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:57:21 am »
If we want to attract more people..

The Z must go.
Let's outsource our problems, that will solve everything.  >.>, seriously, looking out so much without improving what is here isn't going to make anything better.  Sure people some people will get over here, but nothing will make them stay if this place doesn't improve what it has in its existing members and forum itself.  The name is something that stays.  Mainly because it's what we started with and because going to just FGC will cut our boards to shits.

Well, one thing I really think people need to stop doing is keep their projects secret. I know, you have this awesome idea and want it to be revolutionary when it is released, but it doesn't help us. Even if it is just in idea form, it would be good to type it up and post it. 

I myself, have been thinking of making a programming blog on ZFGC ,discussing all my ideas that I have had. Not sure if it is allowed though.

Anyway, advertising is something else that has to be revamped. If you had seen one of my previous posts, I discussed that we should advertise like we are selling something; Make it seem better then it actually is. Show (Pre-rendered) pictures of huge explosions with Link and Zelda jumping out of a glass window in front, sword in hand, ready to kick some ass. Even if the game sucks in comparison to the screen, we still have people interested and possible joiners. (Especially if we do an Oot2d, saying this is real gameplay yet never releasing a demo.)
Yeah, I am a little guilty of that too.  I have been working on a project, but haven't really brought it here because I think it sucks.  Not sure what you mean by the blog, but if it is programming as you say then it could always go in the Programming section.  Seriously, anything with content is welcome here >.<. Yeah, and about the advertising, that could always be beefed up too.  Anything that gets people to post in topics or gets people to join to post in those topics would help out.

A SPAM BOARD? FO' REAL!?
/cruise control

Confidentiality sucks, so this is a public warning in case the other ones weren't working.  Just don't spam; I am referring to other incidents that you had today.  The next warning will be for ignoring staff warnings.  Just try to keep it civilized, please.  I said please.

But yeah, any more ideas?  I am actually going through all of the ones you may have.  How about finishing the Zora theme (well, mostly hidden staff buttons are still green, but still).  Moldorma get to it if you see this, you are back from the doctor now! 

How about Member of the Month?  How do you think that should be chosen?  By staff nomination, by member nomination, by manager choice, etc?  What do you want from that and what should being MoTM get you?  Stuff like that. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:59:11 am by 4Sword »

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 07:49:46 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
All I really want from the ZFGC is for people to join and instantly become hooked because of its atmosphere. I don't really come for the fangames, rather, I come to have a good time.

Also, I want my post count to literally say "ONE BAJILLION"
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:32 am »
  • hehe
i don't think it really matters, ive never designed a game and although i like pretending that im going 2 i never will. nowdays fangaming is only one section.
note what do u do 2 a topic where people arn't ontopic
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:51:04 am »
  • Issac_Amisov
I don't really know what we can do to attract new members to our forums. I mean... what's the point of this forum anyway? What do we do here? Its basically all the old members making posts about how great the old days were containing high entrails of nostalgia.

I just don't know what our options are, because I have no idea how any new members could be attracted to this place.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 02:23:57 am »
  • I murder your toys as well
I agree with Source, I don't come for fangames.. In fact, I can't stand them.

I just come for the feeling.

This user is on indefinite hiatus.
  • Facebook - Jeremy Elliott
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:30:50 am »
Well, I have decided to dislike fangaming because they are really controlled in the way that you can't add certain things, I prefer indie gaming more creative,imo.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:45:16 am »
  • [sic]
I agree with Kren, actually. I am working on a Zelda fangame, I haven't posted it because I'm taking it very slowly and I think posting it would cause me to get on a rush for it and then totally forget it. I'd rather hide it and go it slow, then post when it's done or well underway. But all we really need is people to be regular. To keep working. Whether it's writing, developing, spriting, tiling, reviewing, or posting interesting stuff in off-topic, get people doing stuff, make other people excited to be a part of what goes on adn get them, in turn, doing stuff themselves. I'd stopped spriting and developing before I came back here and it got me excited about that again, and I've become much better now, particularly at pixelling, but also somewhat at developing. Just get people excited and active. Too many lurk and don't post. 90 views, 5 replies, you see it everywhere, and it's crap.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 02:40:09 pm »
The lack of (fan)games is not the problem on ZFGC but the interests of people in (fan)games. For example after 5 billion years someone(imflecter) finally finished a Zelda Fangame which is unique! His topic doesn't gets the attention it deserves.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:48:10 pm »
People here pay more attention to debate and drama topics than fan game topics.
We need to change that, this is supposed to be a zelda forum not a drama hang-out.
This is an english website, please speak it.
l0l wut? o_0
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 03:38:34 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Zelda Drama Hang-out Central...I like the sound of it </sarcasm>

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 06:01:51 pm »
Part of having an aged community is dragging along some form of 'drama with it'. We have to allow some public opinion on matters, because it was done so in the past, its only right we do it now. We also need to better control how we manage how the public gives their opinion. Not oppressing, but  making sure things don't get out of hand. We don't want flamey angry posts starting off in the feed back section, those are the kind of posts I out right ignore, if someone can come to me and discuss something civil, in a serious way I'll be happy to discuss it with them. 

We've discussed dropping the "Z" in the past, I think as everyone else said, and I agree with, that would ruin the concept of what we're here for. Zelda are getting to a bleh point, but we don't suppress the development of other fan games, or indie games (in fact I encourage them so users continue to grow their skills at game development). I fully assume Nintendo is 100% aware of this forum, as we've been ranked fairly high on Alexa on the past, and indirectly been on Digg several times, they're not ignorant of us. We can only assume that they actually enjoy what they see, they're impressed by some of the creativity we have. Obviously fan game creation is not 'legal' in most aspects, which is why we should always try to give as much credit as we can to the original creators of the game concepts, trade marks, artists, ect. Not doing so would be very disrespectful.

People need to remember the moderation team can and will be lenient on issues, however its best if everyone follows the terms of service and rules that are given in the board. If you flame, troll, post naked pictures, do anything weird or random, its most likely that something will happen to you. If you whine/!@#$% about these, its most likely nothing will get done (unless it was an honest mistake -- which has happened). If you want attention from an administrator, further worsening the situation wont get you there, sit down and discuss it with them or a moderator, figure out why/what went wrong. Last of all, don't post it in the public, query mod/admins, and or email us . 
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 77 queries.

anything