Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog move by Microsoft.  (Read 2294 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Dog move by Microsoft.
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:40 am »
  • Silly cat!
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/15/source-avatars-to-be-microsofts-answer-to-miis-and-home/
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/14/screens-of-new-xbox-experience-avatars-netflix-et-al/

Okay. There's something very familiar about all of this. I feel like I've heard of all of this before. It's like... a cartoon-version of me. Which I can implement into games. I can't recall, but I know I've heard of it before. Oh! And what else! The Xbox interface, or "Xbox Experience" will take on some kind of windowed interface! Oh my, how very original of you Microsoft. I'm sure the hardcore gamers, the market in which you own most of will be delighted to make use of these features.

Hoffy.
Re: Dog move by Microsoft.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:39:49 am »
There's a difference. With Avatars, you make yourself to represent online. With Miis, you make imaginary friends.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 06:41:29 am »
  • Silly cat!
Oh well fine, that's that, I guess we can all go home then.

Umm, yea, I locked this for some reason >.>... Anyway. You use Miis to represent yourself in Mario Kart Wii. You can't deny Microsoft are afraid of the Wii and they're basically copying it to redeem themselves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:52:02 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:05 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Umm, yea, I locked this for some reason >.>... Anyway. You use Miis to represent yourself in Mario Kart Wii. You can't deny Microsoft are afraid of the Wii and they're basically copying it to redeem themselves.

*DISCLAIMER* This is not directed towards you Hoffy XD This is a generalization on the general attitude towards this issue */DISCLAIMER*

Why does everyone think the Wii is valid competition just because it sells more consoles? It's HALF THE PRICE. Of course its selling more consoles >_<;; damnit. That pisses me off, nobody seems to understand that you cant compare a leap-frog leapster with a laptop for fucks sake.

Anyway. No, Microsoft is not afraid of Nintendo. At all. What company hasn't copied a successful concept? Honestly. Nintendo does it all the !@#$% time. Since when are avatars in general a UNIQUE concept? Nintendo made a system where you can make *gasp* 3d ones. Very innovative. Sorry, but IMVU does it too, and that's been around longer than "Mii's", but we don't say Nintendo stole it from them.

askdhasldkhasldkahsd

*random rant*

I have nothing against Nintendo, but god damn folks its time for a reality check. Nitpick Nitpick Nitpick. Just enjoy your video games instead of being elitists.  >_<

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:10 am »
  • Silly cat!

*DISCLAIMER* This is not directed towards you Hoffy XD This is a generalization on the general attitude towards this issue */DISCLAIMER*

Why does everyone think the Wii is valid competition just because it sells more consoles? It's HALF THE PRICE. Of course its selling more consoles >_<;; damnit. That pisses me off, nobody seems to understand that you cant compare a leap-frog leapster with a laptop for fucks sake.

Anyway. No, Microsoft is not afraid of Nintendo. At all. What company hasn't copied a successful concept? Honestly. Nintendo does it all the !@#$% time. Since when are avatars in general a UNIQUE concept? Nintendo made a system where you can make *gasp* 3d ones. Very innovative. Sorry, but IMVU does it too, and that's been around longer than "Mii's", but we don't say Nintendo stole it from them.

askdhasldkhasldkahsd

*random rant*

I have nothing against Nintendo, but god damn folks its time for a reality check. Nitpick Nitpick Nitpick. Just enjoy your video games instead of being elitists.  >_<
I was going to argue with you, but I read the last bit on nitpicking, something I usually preach.

You're right, it shouldn't be a problem, and it isn't, really. At any rate, Microsoft did have a good show with Gears 2 and Fallout 3.

Hoffy.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 07:16:23 am »
Better have been a mockup. The dashboard looks like !@#$% and I paid many dollars for gamerpics, the avatar system is !@#$%.
the a o d c
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:18:54 am »
Honestly I have to agree with Mamoru on this.  Original thought almost completely died out a long time ago.  Yes, obviously Microsoft is putting these in to place because of Mii's and Home.  It makes good business sense, who cares if it's not original. It's either keep up or die out. Does is really matter who came up with what as long as we, the gamers, (no matter what console preference, if any), benefit?  No, it doesn't.

Yes, it's an obvious rip-off, and yes, there is no way in hell that either Sony or Microsoft will credit Nintendo with the idea to incorporate avatars into the current generation  -- who cares?

(Also, I want to stress that I'm not trying to be an ass.  I understand where you're coming from, I just get very tired of seeing these sort of arguments being used as munition within the "console wars".)
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:22:34 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Hmm, what's that little Jimmy? Market Pull? Really? Who'd a thunk it?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:55:26 am »
they look better too

hopefully this will push nintendo to update the mii channel, it really needs some new options/features
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:57:33 am »
its a good thing nintendo invented avatars
  • Google Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I don't think avatars fit the XBOX360 style, I don't know anyone that has one that would like that. But oh well, it doesn't really matter. I also hate elitists who get mad when something on one console gets copied for another. No, I guess the playstation isn't allowed a controller stick, rumble...or even a D-Pad! Video games aren't these exclusive clubs, they just happen to be games on different consoles.

Yeah, but Nintendo should update the Mii's. It's so limiting, and pretty boring now.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:11:08 pm »
The Microsoft avatars are clearly inspired by the Wii Miis...but these are actually better. As a Nintendo fan, I'm already a bit jealous of all the cool things Microsoft is doing with their creations, not to mention the fact that even the Mii-thing builder seems better. Oh well.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
I agree with everything that has been said on the subject. And the windowed interface you mentioned is more reminiscent of the Windows Vista interface than the Wii interface, which makes sense seeing as Microsoft has been trying to create a home network between its hardware.

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 06:42:50 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Rare developed them, so I forgive them.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:43:20 pm »
You know that seems like it can actually be cool.
I say a nice move by the Microfags.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 08:06:59 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
You know that seems like it can actually be cool.
I say a nice move by the Microfags.

IANintendo Defense Force
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 05:44:13 am »

well pput!!!, we the consumers are not the people who should be arguing about the different features anyways, lol, shouldnt it be the gaming companys suing each other, lol, i kid but still.

i think the avatars are a good idea, im just surprised, because besides viva pinata, thats the most childlike thing iv seen on the 360.
and the interface, sure it will definantly take some getting used to seeing a combination of everyone elses interfaces, but o well, deal with it! like i sahll!
xbox live: kirkking look me up!

your Romanian Captain Kirk speaking....yes i said Romanian....
dang it doesn't sound near as impressive on a worldwide board, than in a class of all Oklahomans, lol

-The non DJ Jordan.

When life gives you lemons, THROW THEM BACK AND DEMAND LIMES!"
thomas combs

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 09:57:41 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
On a video over at Gamespot, they said avatars are everywhere and they thought it was a good idea.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:11 pm »
IMO Mammy, the casual audience Nintendo is catering to is making it hard for me to enjoy games. I can enjoy Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, but other titles are just getting too dumbed down for my level. I need more than this. So, this Christmas I plan on either going XBox or a homebrew-based handheld system.
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 10:25:24 pm »
Why does everyone think the Wii is valid competition just because it sells more consoles?

I can't believe I have to actually make this arguement...

Your arguement about price point is pretty weak since the 360 can be had for a mere $30 more than the Wii. I suppose you will then bring up target audience, and I'm not saying that arguement doesn't have some validity to it, but the idea of the Wii's target market has always been (go back to the earliest press conferences) the casual (non) gamer and the traditional (hardcore) gamer together. Given the 360's target of the traditional gamer I am pretty sure those markets overlap at least a little bit. Now, I'm not expert but when two devices of similar price are both targeting the same consumers don't we like to call it... (think about it...) COMPETITION! That's right folks, as it turns out the Wii is competing with (and outperforming) the Xbox 360.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 78 queries.