Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn Sony, that was low.  (Read 10664 times)

tippz

Re: Damn Sony, that was low.
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 01:13:29 am »
Um. Granted the N64 controller was odd, it was still preferred by most people just for the fact that it had an analog stick that developers actually used. Then, it was pretty much accross the board that in the current gen (PS2 Xbox GCN) that the wavebird was the most ergonomic, followed by the dual shock. I'm not going by my opinion, I'm going by what I have read and how people I know that do own every system feel. Currently we have the 360 controller that has been declared the most comfortable controller ever by pretty much everyone who has had some quality time with it. The Wii-mote, which is based on one of the most widely used controllers ever the TV remote, so we already know it will be pretty comfortable and then another dual shock. Whoo hoo. The least ergonomic controller 2 generations running pops back up to take the title a 3rd time! Hooray!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 01:44:38 am »
Why are we complaining that a company stole a Nintendo idea? Sure, it will hurt sales (not much though as Nintendo is aiming at a different market) but doesn't it just show us that Nintendo really is on to something? I'll admit, I was a little angry that Sony is still taking Nintendo's ideas (you can't say they aren't when most of their controller 'breakthroughs' originally appeared on Nintendo controllers...) but that just means that Nintendo is doing something right.

Sony fans are the ones who should be complaining. They were promised a new controller to replace the batarang and all they got was another dual shock...

and no. The PS3 controller has ONLY tilt sensing ala kirby tilt n' tumble. No 3D movement.

Really that is the biggest problem with Sony adding this. Not that they implemented a good idea, but that they will claim it is more than it is and say it is therefore better than the Wii's functionality...

I guess you're right about the positional part, upon further research, but I honestly can say that I don't think it makes a difference on whether or not I'll play it. I've always loved the Dualshock controller, and find it to be one of the most comfortable controllers out there. Minor differences have been made, and I think the most welcome one is that you'll be able to hook it up to the PS3 using a USB cable in order to charge the internal battery, whereas the Wii and 360 controllers consume batteries (the Wii right now uses AA's, I'm not sure what the 360 uses). This is a definite plus for me, because I don't want to be spending money on new batteries all the time. I thought those days were long gone.

EDIT: and I also see that everyone here fails to mention any actual innovations for the PS3, probably because they were all too preoccupied with this information or too biased to even read a summary of Sony's press conference. Sony showcased it's latest use of the EyeToy, where cards were placed on a table, and by placing them, 3d models of the monsters appeared on the screen, allowing you to play the card game virtually, and potentially hooking up card game players all over the world (although I'm not one myself). Whether or not this will have other functions is yet to be seen.

Sony's also going to launch an online service similar to Xbox Live, but completely free. Players will even be able to shop within games to purchase new content, and will be able to shop online with the PS3 to purchase and download PS1 games. The original Ridge Racer was showcased on the PSP at the event.

Now excuse me while I go watch more MGS4 footage.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 01:54:35 am by InvaderLupus »

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Spaceworld

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 01:45:44 am »
Eh, Sony can do what they want as long as they don't violate Nintendo patents. I'm slightly annoyed that they declared themselves innovative, but really, whatevs.

All I know is that, due to the price, I will now NOT be purchasing a PS3. MGS4 be damned; no game is worth $500. Oh wait, that would take out 40GB, removable media storage, and Wifi support, so let's adjust that figure to $600. Whoops! Silly me, I forgot the price of the game. Have fun spending $670 for Metal Gear Solid 4. It may be worth it for you, but I'm not wasting my hard-earned money (I have a job, thanks) on one game.

Again, my posts sound very rude lately. Please believe that I don't intend them to be.

Busternaut

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 01:51:58 am »
if the ps3 has the motion w/e like the Wii...i'll get the Wii...

why would i buy something over twice as much as a thing that does something like but better than the thing that's much more expensive?
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 01:59:49 am »
Eh, Sony can do what they want as long as they don't violate Nintendo patents. I'm slightly annoyed that they declared themselves innovative, but really, whatevs.

All I know is that, due to the price, I will now NOT be purchasing a PS3. MGS4 be damned; no game is worth $500. Oh wait, that would take out 40GB, removable media storage, and Wifi support, so let's adjust that figure to $600. Whoops! Silly me, I forgot the price of the game. Have fun spending $670 for Metal Gear Solid 4. It may be worth it for you, but I'm not wasting my hard-earned money (I have a job, thanks) on one game.

Again, my posts sound very rude lately. Please believe that I don't intend them to be.

The only difference between the $500 PS3 and the $600 PS3 is the hardware size; both will have removable media storage as well as Wifi support. Only people who intend to download a severely large amount of content need purchase the $600 PS3. And not to mention, the price of PS3 games is yet to be confirmed as far as I know, so your assumption of "$670 for Metal Gear Solid 4" is completely unfounded. Stop trying to bash Sony and just don't buy it if you don't want to. Can't you guys just learn to like one system and yet NOT hate the other?

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

LordAndrew

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:03 am »
Everyone steals from Nintendo...they cant think of anything themselves...the four arrow pointers, the movement stick, etc. etc.

Its all from Nintendo.

Nintendo was what started gaming though.  :0
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 02:10:47 am »
MGS4 be damned; no game is worth $500.
Yes, it is.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 02:12:52 am »

Usually you buy a console for more then one game.

gm112

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:47 am »
sony sucks. nintendo owns.

why does sony suck and nintendo owns mom?

ask your father.

*asks same question to father*

Well son.. Nintendo was the reason to the rebirth of games. Sony is a idea stealer.

*alright done with that*
my reason is that sony sucks is because they made a very good company have a bad name. Sure the sony playstation has good games such as final fantasy VII BUT nintendo originally hosted the console that the final fantasy series was on.
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2006, 02:17:24 am »
Do you mean the gyroscope in the PS3 controller?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Sonycat is a term coined to poke fun at Sony Computer Entertainment's business practices. It is a play on the word 'Copycat', and relates to Sony's duplication of some inovations first introduced by its competitors in the video game console business.
Wikipedia for the win.

gm112

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2006, 02:20:30 am »
ah i was wrong sony didnt just copy off of nintendo. THEY COPIED OFF OF MICROSOFT TOO! were will this end...
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2006, 02:21:15 am »
Sure the sony playstation has good games such as final fantasy VII BUT
Fails for FFVII and not MGS
  • Google Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2006, 02:26:21 am »
The only difference between the $500 PS3 and the $600 PS3 is the hardware size; both will have removable media storage as well as Wifi support. Only people who intend to download a severely large amount of content need purchase the $600 PS3. And not to mention, the price of PS3 games is yet to be confirmed as far as I know, so your assumption of "$670 for Metal Gear Solid 4" is completely unfounded. Stop trying to bash Sony and just don't buy it if you don't want to. Can't you guys just learn to like one system and yet NOT hate the other?
If you buy the $500 PS3 you don't get HDMI or SDcard support for your system. You'll also lose out on the 802.11 b/g functionality. So, with no HDMI-out (why bother buying blu-ray movies if you can't display them in HD?), no SDCard support, and no wifi, your $500 system will be missing some significant features, and if you want them you're stuck buying the higher-priced system. This is going to be a joy for parents who don't know what they're looking for, or casual gamers who don't know what they're missing out on until it's too late.

Sony's two-system scheme is confusing, it fractures the user base, and without an upgrade path for the cheaper system it's pretty much locked in place. This is not good for anyone.
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2006, 02:32:43 am »
sony sucks. nintendo owns.

why does sony suck and nintendo owns mom?

ask your father.

*asks same question to father*

Well son.. Nintendo was the reason to the rebirth of games. Sony is a idea stealer.

*alright done with that*
my reason is that sony sucks is because they made a very good company have a bad name. Sure the sony playstation has good games such as final fantasy VII BUT nintendo originally hosted the console that the final fantasy series was on.

you know, Sony and Nintendo were originally partners. Nintendo probably wouldn't be having any competition from Sony if they hadn't:

1) planned to give Sony a minimul cut of the profits from the SNES-CD
2) secretly teamed up with Phillips instead, producing the disaterous CDI-Phillips

So really, Nintendo's to blame for this one. If only they hadn't been so greedy back in the late 80s-early 90s.

ah i was wrong sony didnt just copy off of nintendo. THEY COPIED OFF OF MICROSOFT TOO! were will this end...

You know, history has shown the Japanese to be a very culturally adaptive people. For millenia they've displayed the remarkable ability to take in good ideas from other cultures and blend them with their own, still remaining culturally unique. This includes ideas such as Confucian idealogies, and more recently the Western system of 3-tiered education. I believe that with the PS3 Sony is almost symbolizing the Japanese people by borrowing good ideas from other consoles and blending them with their own existing technology, thus creating a controller that has the best of all 3 worlds, while still being identifiably theirs. If you have a problem with this, then I guess you have a problem with Japanese cultural trends. And lest we not forget, Nintendo's famicom wasn't the first home console, and therefore they weren't ALWAYS innovative. They, like Sony, emerged amongst fierce competitors with a not-so-different console that came out on top. Sony's just following in Nintendo's footsteps, most recently rising to the top of the console ladder with the PS2.

If you buy the $500 PS3 you don't get HDMI or SDcard support for your system. You'll also lose out on the 802.11 b/g functionality. So, with no HDMI-out (why bother buying blu-ray movies if you can't display them in HD?), no SDCard support, and no wifi, your $500 system will be missing some significant features, and if you want them you're stuck buying the higher-priced system. This is going to be a joy for parents who don't know what they're looking for, or casual gamers who don't know what they're missing out on until it's too late.

Sony's two-system scheme is confusing, it fractures the user base, and without an upgrade path for the cheaper system it's pretty much locked in place. This is not good for anyone.

would you mind giving a link to your source? Because at the press conference Sony only stated that the difference between the two would be the hard drive size.

EDIT: while I'm at it, I might as well address the whole "there's only one good game for teh PS3!" idea. Is that so? Because last time I checked, there was:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Resident Evil 5
Devil May Cry 4
Killzone (no title yet)
Eyedentify and Eye of Judgement (wait, what's that? Is that...innovation? Holy crap, it is!)
Resistance: The Fall of Man
Heavenly Sword
Assassin's parkour
Genji 2

need I go on? Because I can if I must.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 02:48:33 am by InvaderLupus »

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:40 am »
would you mind giving a link to your source? Because at the press conference Sony only stated that the difference between the two would be the hard drive size.

Check out Wikipedia's entry for the PS3.
# One HDMI output for 60GB model, No HDMI for 20GB model.
and
# SD/MMC slot (The memory slots are only availabe at the 60 GB model.)
and
# IEEE 802.11 b, g Wi-Fi, No Wi-Fi for 20GB model.
If Wikipedia isn't good enough for you, you can always read the Official PS3 Press Release on SCEI's site.
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2006, 02:53:11 am »

Check out Wikipedia's entry for the PS3.
# One HDMI output for 60GB model, No HDMI for 20GB model.
and
# SD/MMC slot (The memory slots are only availabe at the 60 GB model.)
and
# IEEE 802.11 b, g Wi-Fi, No Wi-Fi for 20GB model.
If Wikipedia isn't good enough for you, you can always read the Official PS3 Press Release on SCEI's site.

thanks for officially proving me wrong instead of stating rumors. My hat is off to you. So if you want full functionality, you'll have to pay the full price, but that doesn't mean that the $500 PSP is without its merits. With its several USB ports, it can still connect to the PSP, and seeing as I don't have an HD TV, spending an extra $100 for something I don't have as pointless. Although this might affect some gamers, it doesn't really matter to me personally :/

Bakuashen

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2006, 06:29:50 am »
All i have to say is i give the wag of the finger to Sony for Releasing their "new" controller AT E3 when before they had that boomerang controller with i might add, had no motion sense or anything to that effect and after Nintendo brings out the big bombshell of the whole Nintendo Wii controller for being motion sensing, Sony immediately shuts off all news on their controller and releases a new and IMPROVED controller WITH motion sensor at E3, and many of you can't !@#$% about Sony not taking the "idea" from nintendo

But i give the tip of the hat to sony just for assassin parkour that game looks amazingly too good, Better than MGS4 IMO
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2006, 01:18:03 pm »

Go Spaceworld!  I agree.  $200 plus is going over the line for me...

I have a job this summer to so yeah.
"May the innovation be with you."

www.guffa.smf4free.com
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2006, 01:36:26 pm »
God, I just saw the bit about the controller...and man, what sickens me is that they go like "OMG thats so new and innovative"!

Then I just shouted at the screen: "Get the !@#$% outta here dude!"

The PS3 is nice, but for god sakes try to think of something yourselves...FOR ONCE!
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2006, 01:40:06 pm »
Sony is so !@#$% lame sheesh am I glad I trade my ps2 for a cube ages ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 74 queries.