Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: [DEMO] Zelda: Just Beginning  (Read 27193 times)

Re: [DEMO] Zelda: Just Beginning
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2007, 09:13:30 pm »
  • Save the Sprites! Save as .PNG
Amazing, i love the visual effects, i cant find any flaws except i found one that if your hearts are at zero you can move to another room and still be alive but when you go back inside, dead ^^
  • Google
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2007, 10:08:43 pm »
  • MetalRidley was here
Yay I figured out how to get the compass! :D

I haven't beaten it yet, but it is really good quality. I like this game.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2007, 10:59:24 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Good job OriZak, but someone's already claimed the prize

Ack... I know exactly why that is, Norlem, *fixes immediately*  XD

I'd actually hoped people would beat it without getting the bonus first so they notice the change in the ending better.

For anyone interested in turning off most of the non-GB effects, open the ini file the game creates and change the value for the following settings to zero:
_ScreenDistortionsEnable  the effect when you do a spin attack, or a bomb explodes
_AdvancedParticlesEnabled  specifically fire & explosions
_WaterAdvancedEnabled

I doubt we'll be converting to a different style at this point though.

As for externalizing the resources, I've been working on a system for that which will make things easier on me so I don't have to worry as much about accidentally loading something in more than once, or discarding it when it's still being used.  I don't like having to include a lot of extra files with the game, so I'm working on making it so we don't have to as well.  Actually theres already a very dumbed down version of the system in this demo, but it's only used for the bonus you get for beating it without dying.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 11:31:43 pm by Atrius »

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »
The bonus was really cool :). I also got the compass, but forgot to printscreen.
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2007, 01:58:31 am »
  • MetalRidley was here
Bah oh well, at least I have the satisfaction of figuring it out (unlike sjetp's old avatar >:( ).

I don't know if it's just me, but I found some of the tiles to be confusing height-wise. For example in the boss door room, I couldn't really tell that I could hookshot across and in the compass room I didn't know I could jump down from where the chest was.

THE MUSIC IS REVERSIBLE, BUT TIME IS NOT. TURN BACK... turn back... turn back...

mit

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2007, 03:19:38 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the depth, and in the final thing we'll probably make the lower tiles darker, it's just that the bit before the boss was, as Atrius put it, insanely hard to program. Because normally, the rocks in the pit would deflect the hookshot, and so on.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:45 pm »
Yay I figured out how to get the compass! :D

I haven't beaten it yet, but it is really good quality. I like this game.
Aww man... How'd you get there?  :-[
Hm... I should probably put something here...

Koh

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2007, 02:37:53 am »
  • Tamer Koh
so about how long until you think theres enough for demo 2.  I don't want you to set a date that you can't live up too, I just want an estimested guess :D.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2007, 06:24:03 am »
  • :3
good work dude keep on i really like it however those special effects don't fit with gb style
  • daniel-kun

mit

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2007, 05:31:26 pm »
good work dude keep on i really like it however those special effects don't fit with gb style
Well yes, as we said, you can turn them off.

Aww man... How'd you get there?  :-[
Well several people have done it now, so it's quite possible, keep trying!

so about how long until you think theres enough for demo 2.  I don't want you to set a date that you can't live up too, I just want an estimested guess :D.
Demo 2? Yikes... A long way, possibly the next release will be the entire game. We don't have much else to show, see, as this was just to show off the engine and stuff that's in it, the only other things to show off are levels and so on, so the next thing we'll release will probably be another trailer.
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

• Kousou Games

Koh

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2007, 06:43:44 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
O.o, thats deep.  I wish you the best of luck, and 1 last thing.  Do you plan to make 2 different downloads? (MIDI version and MP3 Version)
  • Megaclipse Games

mit

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2007, 08:00:35 pm »
Not really, the music's in midi format, so I don't see why we'd need to. We don't have any higher quality versions of it... although I suppose I could ask someone with FL studio to improve it... but it'd make the download many many times bigger.

The only reason there may be two downloads is if the codec used on the regular sounds isn't compatible with someone's PC. It's used to compress the WAV files but so far it seems no one's had any problems.

Oh, and don't be expecting this game to be finished like in a few months, oh no, aside from us having school and so on, we've been working on this demo for over a year (alright, we started again from scratch twice, and took way too many 'breaks'). It'll probably take us quite a while to finish, being realistic about it.
Random Highscore table:

• Kousou Games
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2007, 10:17:30 pm »
Take all the time you need, others also do so. If that means that it will one day be finished you can even take years to create it.
I expect you to use at least 2 or 3 more years to finish it.

As from how I see it, starting from scratch at certain times is the only way to get a decent game. ( One first has to do something so he can realise it is not what he is looking for.)
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2007, 05:39:23 am »
  • Captain Banana
I expect you to use at least 2 or 3 more years to finish it.
Yeah, take as long as you need. BUT if you are going to take 1 or more years to complete, we'd all like if you'd release a 50% demo. So we don't get bored  XD
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:56 am »
Nah, not all of us like that. I prefer to wait without such demo. Playing 50% of the game and then having to wait a long time for the rest is not they way I like it for 2 reasons. 1. if the first 50% is good it makes the waiting for the remaining part look like a longer period. 2. There is no fun in only playing 50% of a game.
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2007, 03:21:47 pm »
  • Captain Banana
Nah, not all of us like that. I prefer to wait without such demo. Playing 50% of the game and then having to wait a long time for the rest is not they way I like it for 2 reasons. 1. if the first 50% is good it makes the waiting for the remaining part look like a longer period. 2. There is no fun in only playing 50% of a game.
Actually, I meant when they're 50% finished with the game, that they release a demo (that doesn't have to contain the finished 50%), just up to the first dungeon. I agree with you that it isn't fun to play 50% of a game and having to wait another year for the other half.
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 08:42:20 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Quote from: Atomicd1
Nah, not all of us like that. I prefer to wait without such demo. Playing 50% of the game and then having to wait a long time for the rest is not they way I like it...

Yeah, I don't particularly like demos like that either, especially when a new one comes out with more of the game, and you have to play through the old stuff to get to the new parts.  I doubt we'll release a demo like that, but I can't really say we won't release another one at all before the game is done.  We don't have any plans to right now though.

Eh, just for the fun of it since everyones given pretty positive reactions so far, here's a beta screen shot of how I first tested the particle effects for the title screen and Dodogo's flames.

Eh, dumb action button, trying to give helpful suggestions.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games

Koh

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2007, 01:55:19 am »
  • Tamer Koh
that looks as if it is effected like the pegasus boots.  Try adding smoke for rolling like that :D.
  • Megaclipse Games

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2007, 06:00:43 pm »
Atrius, you have outdone yourself yet again. Keep going and this could be better than zelda itself (The ones nintendo make, not the fan ones)
  • Phoenix Heart

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2007, 09:47:53 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
I've been intending to write music for this for a long time. I never got to it yet.

And as a "Kousou Gamer" (if you will), I need to come up with an idea soon >_<

But yeah, this demo PWNS ^_^
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 94 queries.