Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 21st, 2008  (Read 2453 times)

[ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 21st,...
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:06:06 pm »
As a community should we make a more conscious effort to move away from Game Maker by having boards specifically for other development environments?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:04:20 am by 4Sword »

Mirby

Drifter
Re: [ZFGC Weekly] The Big Question - September 2...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:14:20 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Nah, just have them all together. Game Maker may not be the best development tool, but some members still use it, myself included. Separate is not equal. Err... what I mean is that separating them is not a good idea, because we really only need one board for everything game-related, be it WIP or coding help. We have icons to differentiate between languages, don't we?

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:20:51 am »
The current development boards are in such a way that they are either dead or anything that could be good in them is overwritten by a series of topics asking questions that have been asked many times before and are often simple fixes.  New users who come here or those still involved with Game Maker might see a topic about something such as C++ in those boards, but it does not really help them or motivate them to pursue C++.  Those who are mostly involved with something like C++ look in those boards and see mostly topics that they have moved past and no longer really see the board as a beneficial aid for them.

Having at least two boards, one for simple development applications and another for advanced development applications would be for the best, in my opinion.  Even if it did not get as much activity, an advanced development board would appeal to those who wanted to improve their knowledge, it would not be bogged down with topics that did not help them any more, and it would make us seem more professional.  The simple development board (I use the term "simple" as "basic" sounds too much like "BASIC"), would not be bogged down with topics that those into such development could not understand yet, it would seem like we were more willing to help users learn, and it is not like the board would be worse off with less clutter.

Icons are nice, but they are not being used that much anymore.  For me, if there was a board specifically devoted to something that involved C++ game development then I would feel better off being here because there would be a place for myself to learn and it would mark a change in the atmosphere as to say that our new direction was towards something better.  Game Maker is great, but it's just not the answer anymore.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:25:07 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
You could mabye have a sub-board for RAD tools or for actual languages.

You might also want to add a rule saying to read the manual and relevant tutorials on such problems you are encountering for help before you post a topic.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »
You might also want to add a rule saying to read the manual and relevant tutorials on such problems you are encountering for help before you post a topic.
Well I suppose that would stop members posting "RTFM" all the time, but then it would just be the staff saying the same thing, wouldn't it?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 12:42:41 pm »
  • I need something new to put here...
Well I suppose that would stop members posting "RTFM" all the time, but then it would just be the staff saying the same thing, wouldn't it?
Well, yeah, but if you were new to the forums and needed help with an easy problem fixable in the manual, and you ask here first, you get flamed and wouldn't want to come here, while if it's against the rules, and the member reads this, looks at the manual, and fixes the problem without flaming, wouldn't that be better?

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 03:31:41 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I dont think you should segregate GameMaker from any other tool just because some users want to pursue serious programming as a job. I for one don't want to be insulted or ignored just because I use game maker to make games :/ Game Programming is not what I want to do for a living, and so I don't want to invest time in learning an actual language. How I see it is, if you can play it, it's a game. No matter what you used to make it. There shouldn't be "Game Maker Games" and "C++ games" :/ That's just me though.

I do agree that having a "New to game design" and "Advanced Game design" forum is a good idea, because that will in one way or another weed out most game maker games. GM is very capable of making good games, most people (myself included) just don't have the capacity :P
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 47 queries.

anything