Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 463171 times)

Re: [Demo] Alttp-style game / tech demo -- No na...
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »
Okay, just send me a PB when you're back and ready.
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 07:34:05 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Martijn,

I just sent you a message. Have you figured out the sword beam thing? I own the original, so I can check on that, except I'd have to play pretty far in to the game to get the sword that shoots the beam. I guess I shouldn't delete all of my completed profiles, oops.

Anyway, like I said in the message, I should be getting more done on those sprites tonight, but I kind of need to know more about the movement and attacks for the boss.
  • My Music
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 08:02:00 pm »
I've finished programming the sword beam thing. I could post a new demo of it when I finish the mechanisms for pick stuff up and throwing it. I'm guessing it'll be a good two weeks before that's done though. Picking up and walking with a container is practicly done for a couple of regular objects. Throwing, breaking, hurting enemies and using different weights and sizes will take more time.

Check your mailbox for more info on the subboss.
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 08:48:15 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Check your mailbox for more info on the subboss.

Got it, and also the message with the sprite sheet. That will help out tons!  XD
  • My Music
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2009, 06:41:06 pm »
FrozenFire: Today I stumbled across some new errors I've missed, namely objects not stopping when you pauze the game (= press esc). When walking on stairs, jumping from ledges, having items appear and grass break up the pauze mode is not integrated yet. Could you check (this demo or the next) wether or not I missed other objects/actions not pauzing?

As for the general progress so far:
- I'm changing the pick up actions so that you have to grab and pull an object before you pick it up. I'm not really sure how the original played, but I'll continue on this road and let you guys decide how it plays when the next demo's out. The only bother is that it requires me to redo the sprites and timelines. Oh well. Other than that, I'm just making small tweaks and fixes.
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2009, 11:45:18 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
FrozenFire: Today I stumbled across some new errors I've missed, namely objects not stopping when you pauze the game (= press esc). When walking on stairs, jumping from ledges, having items appear and grass break up the pauze mode is not integrated yet. Could you check (this demo or the next) wether or not I missed other objects/actions not pauzing?

Sure. How about you post a new demo and I'll test that? Right now though, I'd like to finish up those sprites for you because they're taking me a while, ha ha.

As for the general progress so far:
- I'm changing the pick up actions so that you have to grab and pull an object before you pick it up. I'm not really sure how the original played, but I'll continue on this road and let you guys decide how it plays when the next demo's out. The only bother is that it requires me to redo the sprites and timelines. Oh well. Other than that, I'm just making small tweaks and fixes.

I will be sure to give you feedback when the new demo comes out!  XD

EDIT:

Martijn, I finally finished those sprites. I sent them to you in a message.  :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:32:59 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
What's been happening with the ALttP game? Did i...
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 11:20:32 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I apologize for the double post, but I just wanted to let everyone know that this project is in no way dead!

We (Martijn, Raen and I) have decided to work on the project at The Daily Click.

As far as I know, Martijn plans on posting a new demo here and maybe some screenies every now and then, but updates here will probably be rare.

The project is coming along pretty slow, but very nicely!  XD
  • My Music
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 05:11:20 pm »
Jup, we've moved production there since I felt we needed some place where we could freely post idea's, dungeon maps and boss sprites without ruining the surprise. I'll post some screenshots when I get my router so I'm not bound by this stupid datalimit anymore.

Anyway, progress has always been slow since I'm the soul programmer (with a fulltime job).

So we are recruiting!

If anyone wants to join the team as an added programmer or as a spriter please send me a message. I'll make a topic in the recruitment area right after this.

Update:
Here are two images of some shading I´m experimenting with. What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 09:08:52 am by Martijn dh »
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2009, 11:01:05 am »
If you do use that sort of shadowing, it needs to be be above link with alpha blending.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2009, 11:36:16 am »
It's already above Link. It's just a little hard to see on those screenshots.

I'm currently using:
draw_set_blend_mode(bm_subtract);
draw_set_color(c_dkgray);

There is one glitch with this I haven't figured out yet. At the start off the pause-state I use screen_redraw() directed at a surface. When I display that surface on the screen the shadow area is gone. Everything below the surface is gone as well. So if Link's head is under the shadow, then the surface shows him without a head. Similar things happen with enemy sprites. The tiles get displayed normally.

So, if you have suggestions then I'm listening.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
hey I like that shadow casting deal you got there!
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2009, 06:09:28 pm »
I'm going on vacation soon so here's the latest demo to round of the last weeks of work. Some things are still under construction but then again .. they always are. I'll list the changes since the last demo since most aren't visual. Only for those interested.

Ooh and before I forget. The shading I already showed a screenshot of is not in the demo. It needs some more work (= glitch hunting and altered placement). The anti-fairy at the beginning is also gone. Instead the flying tiles have made a comeback. I improved the collisions between the tiles and solids but I also need to redo some work to get the shield collisions back up to the earlier standard. Finally basic throwing has also been included. You won't believe how long it took me to get it all the way I liked it.

Here is the list of changes:
- Keys no longer respawn if collected
- Doors and switches get reset when exiting a dungeon
- The shadow of items now dissappears along with the item when in another room
- Poking containers is no longer the same as poking a wall
- Death resets the sprite of an equipped bottled fairy
- Added a sword beam
- Redid the pause mode
- Improved the routine of enemies being getting back
- Added 3 more rooms to visit (and some more you can't visit >:D)
- Updated the collisions between flying tiles and solids
- Cannonballs continue to move from room to room
- Made some alterations to the Link walking through doors
- There are now conditional doors that only open when all enemies are defeated
- You can pick up / walk with / run with / throw containers and bushes
- Altered the way paths, rooms and timelines are referenced in the coding
- When link is hurt he turns transparent instead of invisible
- Enemies turn negative when hit
- Some lettering in the starting menu is now yellow
- Rupees etc now turn transparent before dissappearing
- Fix a whole lot of glitches and what not

For those wanting to help: I'm looking for some feedback on the cannonball puzzle room.
Also I'm still looking for a spriter and a programmer to join the team.
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh, Martijn, I'm still getting around to checking out that cannon ball room. I just kept getting stopped by all of those glitches I kept accidentally finding (I was born to test video games XD). But with those fixed in the demo, I should be able to make it to the room and get right on that sound effect you want and I can also tell you what I think about the room.

Anyway, have a great vacation!  8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 08:29:19 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 08:35:50 pm »
Just to show I'm still working on it. The mechanics I'm working on still need more work before I can show them, but here are some other images for in the meantime.

A room Raen designed. I'm still in the progress of implementing it, but it should be done by the next demo.

The dungeon map (2 out of the 3 floors). The light blue rooms are the ones that you should be able to enter during the next demo. The white one wil be furthest new room you are able to enter.

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2009, 03:24:30 am »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
I just want to say: This game is going to really be something awesome, I think everyone here will enjoy it. I recognize my bias, since I'm working on it, but it really is one of the most polished, professional Zelda fan games around.

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 03:56:36 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I just want to say: This game is going to really be something awesome, I think everyone here will enjoy it. I recognize my bias, since I'm working on it, but it really is one of the most polished, professional Zelda fan games around.

Ditto. ^_^

And this is why I joined the project.

Seriously, Martijn is doing an amazing job on programming this game.

XD
  • My Music
Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »
I'm currently working on implementing the shovel. Believe it or not, but the shovel was actually kinda tricky at first because I had to decide how to handle the dirtholes it can create. It's almost done, but I have some questions about how this worked in the original Alttp to finish it.

So. On to the questions. What happens when ..

.. you try to dig in an area where you can't dig?
You some kind of rejection effect, right? If so, I don't suppose anybody can find me a screenshot or sprite.

.. when dig normally?
Does Link throw some dirt over his shoulder? I'm not really sure that was the case. If so, I'd appreciate a screenshot.

.. when you dig, while standing in the grass?
Does the digging get negated like when you are standing on a solid floor? This one is pretty interesting, since I can't recall ever having tried it.

.. when you cut down a bush and try to dig where the stump is?
I'm guessing the digging get's negated, but I'm not 100% sure.

.. when you dig while in shallow water?
Any different sounds? Maybe Link's action get's negated. Or does he scoop up some water and over his shoulder? Again, can't remember ever having tried stuff like this, since the shovel never was that big of an item.

--------------------

Also we've decided a working title might be in order, so the project will now be know as Horn of Balance.
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:25 pm »
I'm currently working on implementing the shovel. Believe it or not, but the shovel was actually kinda tricky at first because I had to decide how to handle the dirtholes it can create. It's almost done, but I have some questions about how this worked in the original Alttp to finish it.

So. On to the questions. What happens when ..

You some kind of rejection effect, right? If so, I don't suppose anybody can find me a screenshot or sprite.

.. when dig normally?
Does Link throw some dirt over his shoulder? I'm not really sure that was the case. If so, I'd appreciate a screenshot.

Does the digging get negated like when you are standing on a solid floor? This one is pretty interesting, since I can't recall ever having tried it.

Any different sounds? Maybe Link's action get's negated. Or does he scoop up some water and over his shoulder? Again, can't remember ever having tried stuff like this, since the shovel never was that big of an item.

--------------------

Also we've decided a working title might be in order, so the project will now be know as Horn of Balance.
As far as not being able to dig, you here a "tink" noise,kinda like when you hold down the sword button against the wall and I think two "sparks" come off the shovel.  That's if I remember right.  Hold on.  Let me see if I can get some pics.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2009, 08:23:05 am »
If you can get me a screenshot of the spaks, then that would indeed be great.
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40:17 pm »
I have put the gba cartridge in my NDS, so no screenshots. Also I recommend you get a ROM of ALttP for the gba and use VBA to check these things.

Link sprite plays normally, but there are sparks on the floor. You also hear a ting sound.

.. when dig normally?
It is hard to see, but there seems to be some dirt going over his shoulder.

Grass and cut grass produce a rejection effect. No digging possible.

Rejection effect. When digging a plant, you dig the spot you are standing on.

Normal rejection effect, nothing special.

Horn of Balance, huh. Sounds like a Zelda Title. I'm a bit curious to the story.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 75 queries.