Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] Warcraft: The Chains of Command - RTS clone  (Read 4532 times)

[Demo] Warcraft: The Chains of Command - RTS cl...
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:31:16 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
WARCRAFT:  The Chains of Command
Warcraft is (c) of Blizzard, but this game has been programed from scratch using GM 8.1 Standard
An AERO GAMES Production

Introduction
The Chains of Command is actually my fourth attempt at creating a Warcraft fan game.  And I am pleased to say I think I have finally gotten some things right.  Now I won't claim to be the best programmer in the word, but after some hard work I have been able to add almost all the features you might find in a commercial game.  Including...

Pros
-Intelligent Motion Planning
-Fully Functional Mini Map
-Control Groups 1-9 (Hold Control and press a number 1-9 to set the control group and then press the same number to recall the selection)
-Sub Group Selections
-Selection tabs in order to select more than 12 units (Toggle open selection tabs using the numpad keys 1-6)
-Units Categorized in Selection based on their priority.
-Land/Air Units
-Fog of War (Toggle on and off using "F" and "G".  "G" toggles only the fog and not the blackness)
-Teams and Ally support
-And More

Cons
-This is just a battle engine currently.  No economy or structures yet...  Though there is a peasant that looks like he is ready to work...

-I'll be totally honest.  Most fan games are not perfect and that does include this one unfortunately.  I am a hobby programmer and I have never really looked into programming multiplayer functionality.  Though it would be nice I have no idea how to make it multiplayer so it is grounded to playing vs AI...  Unless there is someone else who knows how/wants to do it.

-As I said earlier I am not the best programmer out there so this game probably isn't as efficient as it could be.  For that reason you will probably need a fast computer to run this if there are lots of units on the map.  I have a 2Ghz Mac Mini that I programmed it on and it works for me just fine.

-Changing you monitors resolution may cause strange effects on the fog of war.  If this happens to you you can fix it by restarting your computer or by leaving the fog of war off.

User Interface
-If you have played an RTS before it is pretty much the same. 
-Use the mouse to select units and execute commands and either the onscreen buttons or the built in hotkeys to issue commands.
-Hold Control and press a number 1-9 to assign selected units to a control group and then press the same number to recall the selection
-Toggle open selection tabs using the numpad keys 1-6
-Toggle Fog of War on and off using "F" and "G".  "G" toggles only the fog and not the blacknes
-Press "R" to reset the game

Screen Shots:

Credits
-The Big B of course:  Blizzard for the Warcraft Franchise and of course most all of the sprites I used.
-Aero88: Programming, and sprite editing
-Airslide: The Motion planning extension I used
-TSR:  The Spriters Resource
-Dark Wolf: WC1 Sprites
-Maxim: WC2 Sprites
-Sounds Resource: Sister site to TSR I think.  I got my sound effects from them
-I think thats it...

Download Engine Here
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:07:17 am by Aero88 »
Re: Warcraft: The Chains of Command
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:02:13 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Has anybody tried this yet?  Feedback would be nice.  Suggestions or bug reports.  I know this is just a battle engine currently, but it represents a great deal of work so far.  I am hopping the economy portion of the game will be the easier part of making this game, but that remains to be discovered.  I have looked for good RTSs made with game maker and they have been hard for me to come by.  I was hopping this one might fit the bill though, but that is for you guys to decide.  Perhaps the WC1 graphical style is discouraging?  Well I think you will find the user interface to be nice as it resembles more of WC3 or Starcraft...  That is what I was shooting for at least.  Keep in mind this is not a direct clone of any particular warcraft.  I am balancing units from scratch and I have plans to have some new units as well.  Also I plan to make a unique campaign/storylin.
Re: Warcraft: The Chains of Command
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Come on guys!  Someone here as got to like RTSs?  Anybody?  I was sure at least someone would give feedback...  For the life of me I can't figure why there are only 2 downloads... and zero comments!  Strangely similar results at the GMC too. only 8 downloads...  Am I doing something wrong?  As far as fan made RTS projects go this isn't to bad I think.  Give it a try!
Re: [Demo] Warcraft: The Chains of Command
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:15 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Well it works fine, but for some reason the units at the very top of the map I cannot control, yet it seems I can control the enemy units (though that control is wrestled away from the AI after a bit) xD

Other than that and it running in full-screen so being pixelated to incomprehension (solved by hammering the F keys until one of them changes the screen to windowed xD) yeah, keep going looks like a solid basic RTS battle engine so far (y)

P.S May I recommend you drop the explicitly-warcraft-ness? It sounds silly but you'll probably get more interest if you make it into a warcraft clone xD People generally expect even clones to be of higher quality than fangames so are less apprehensive about trying it out :) You can even keep the sound effects and graphics for now, nothing wrong with some "temporary artwork" for a WIP ;D

Also you may want to mention it's an RTS in the title, otherwise people may think you're making a Warcraft sidescroller and just turn away :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:22:07 pm by TheDarkJay »
Re: [Demo] Warcraft: The Chains of Command - RT...
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Ah thank you!  Silly me.  I should have mentioned that there were some units in the map that represent allies...  Thus you can not control them, but if an enemy unit comes near it will help you attack them (probably should move them away from your army to avoid that confusion).  I also gave control of the enemy units so that you can play around with them move them into formations and such to test and attack them.  That is only for testing purposes though so in the real game you would have no control over them.  Notice the color of the ring around the units you select.  Green = you, Yellow = Ally, and Red = Enemy.  I should have explained that at first.

I have always preferred full screen myself that is why it is the default, but when I create the menu system I will build in an option to switch it.  I have to keep it low res though because that is the only way I can add custom sprites...  I am not too good at spriting...  Currently the key to switch to windowed mode is Game Makers Default key...  probably F4 or something like that.  I'll have that smoothed out when I get the next demo out though.

I am a little confused though when you say to drop the warcraft-ness, and then say to make it into a warcraft clone...  You are right though advertised clones typically are higher quality...  I would be fine calling it a clone as it is intended to be a warcraft game...  The only reason I haven't is because I don't plan on following any of blizzards story lines, and I have always associated clones with being exact copies of games...  Perhaps I have miss understood what a clone is?  Anyhow, glad you liked it!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:05:27 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:10:44 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Ah that makes sense. Well I think the res problem is partly because of how GameMaker doesn't seem to really change the screens resolution, which means it's stretching a 320*240 screen to 1600*900 for my laptop xD

A clone is, as I understand it, a game that has the same or very similar gameplay, intentionally mimicking another game:) For example, the old name for FPS games was "Doom Clones". So an RTS with Warcraft-esque gameplay but that way you aren't limiting yourself to trying to follow Warcraft's lore ^^ It just gives you a bit more freedom for stories and gameplay design and the like :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:14:24 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Ah.  Well I guess this project would fall under the category of a clone then.  I will update the project accordingly.  Thanks!

edit: Download link was broken, but it should work now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:08:09 am by Aero88 »
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 02:15:12 am »
  • ...---^^^---...
It's been a while since I have posted any progress on this project.  It isn't dead, but it had been sleeping for a while as I worked on my zelda game Shattered Dimensions.  Anyhow, the progress made may not sound like a whole lot, but coding the magic system has been a pain.  I have a decent foundation for it now though.  Heres what I've done.

-Clerics finished, including their magic spells

-Far Seeing
     -Heal
     -Invisibility

-Knights Finished

-Catapults finished including area damage

This isn't reflected in the current demo available, but as soon as I have another stable version ready I'll post it.  Just thought I would post here to show this project isn't dead.  It has been rather slow though due to the tedious nature of setting up the sprites for each unit.   :-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 50 queries.