Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Animatrix  (Read 2891 times)

The Animatrix
« on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:07 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
So I was bored, and thought I'd make a topic just for the heck of it.  So I thought I'd talk about how I loathed and hated the Animatrix.

I mean, I loved the three movies... yes all of them, and I loved the Final Flight of the Osiris, but as for the Animatrix: I hated it.  I watched "The Second Rennasiance Part I".  It was disgusting, explicit, graphic (much like "A Scanner Darkly" was, for those "lucky" few of you who got to see it in it's limited theatrical screening), and I hated it.  Never bothered to watch any of the others except Final Flight of the Osiris.  Are there any other good ones that wouldn't freak someone sheltered like me?
Re: The Animatrix
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:05:05 pm »
Uhm, The Second Renaissance is really special. The other 6 or so you havent seen are much less violent. You have to see Detective Story, Kid's Story and espcially Beyond for sure. Program is neat too, but not as good as these three.

World Record and Matriculated are the least. Unless you like really abstract and alternative stuff.

Go watch it dude. The Second Renaissance is sick as hell. But the rest is very different.

Limey

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »
Are you joking?  The animatrix PWNS the 2nd and 3rd movies XD.  The only one I don't like is the one with the guy racing, I didn't like the graphical style or story.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:40:34 pm »
  • 笑い男
freaks you out?
better watch dead leaves, or the hills have eyes then O_O

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 06:53:09 pm »
The Second Renaissance is a very good story and should not be missed at all.  World Record is awesome, but it is hard to understand the point of it by only watching it once.  Kid's Story is also very good: its intense and down to the minute excitement.  They all are good, but take time to understand for different people.  It takes time to appreciate different artistic visions.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 06:55:55 pm »
Eh I really liked them, The Second Rennasiance ones were really interesting and the robots were cool, especialy in part 2. I agree with kleaver Detective Story is great and the animation style of Kid's story is fun.

Which one is the one set on the surface in the future.. has weird VR etc?

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:02:39 pm »
heh,  Animatrix pwns, it explains you Matrix 2 and 3, like the kid in kid story appears in Matrix 2 <.<.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 07:17:54 pm »
Which one is the one set on the surface in the future.. has weird VR etc?

Matriculated,

Program is the one with the horses and knights and Beyond is with the building thats all broken  :D
I always mix those up.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:10 pm »
It takes time to appreciate different artistic visions.
I would not say that at all.  Robot rape is not artistic.  Schindler's List isn't best movie of 1993, and watching terrible things happen on-screen is no accomplishment.

When I watch something I expect to really get something out of it.  If I wanted to watch a line of a whole bunch of terrible things happening, I'd join some gang or something retarded like that.  There's a difference between watching terrible things and watching the good emerge from terrible things.

(The difference between Hotel Rwanda and Schindler's List is that the former is actually worth watching, while the latter is just senseless, meaningless, useless, and hopeless.)
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01:12 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Robot rape?  I must have missed that part entirely.

Beyond is probably my favorite one of the videos in Animatrix.  Program, and Kid's story are pretty good.  Detective story, and World Record are okay, I guess, and Matriculated is just plain strange.

Yep... thats the other ones in the order I like them from most to least.  The Rennasiance one is really the only excessively violent one, I think.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:03:58 pm »
@Possum
I think that you are basing your opinions on one aspect of the movie.  Yes, it could be considered robot rape, but that is to further emphazie the point that robots are getting mistreated by humans and are basically slaves to them.  The robots win in the end anyway.  Knowing you Possum, I thought you would see the similarites easily.  It is hard for someone to understand slavery in modern times (Western society), but comparing black people to slaves is more convincing to someone now.  To live modernly, people are dependent on technology; just as slaves were used in Southern society. 

The plot itself is loosely based on real events.  For example, images of robots being destroyed are from images of the last part of the 20th century.  The robot who kills his master is loosely based on Bigger from a story dealing with slavery.

The Animatrix portrays the arrogance of humanity and the adverse effects of laziness on society.  It is not like the whole thing is about robot rape.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 11:13:12 pm »
I think that you are basing your opinions on one aspect of the movie.  Yes, it could be considered robot rape, but that is to further emphazie the point that robots are getting mistreated by humans and are basically slaves to them.  The robots win in the end anyway.
And so obviously this was the only choice on how to portray it.  You had to have a violent rape scene, or the point doesn't get across.

To live modernly, people are dependent on technology; just as slaves were used in Southern society.
I'm not bashing the philosiphy.  I mean: I loved the movies.  It's a very provoking idea.

The robot who kills his master is loosely based on Bigger from a story dealing with slavery.
So obviously the robot had to violently rip his master's head open, because that's what slaves did.

The Animatrix portrays the arrogance of humanity and the adverse effects of laziness on society.  It is not like the whole thing is about robot rape.
But it shows several explicit scenes to dramatically get an obvious point across.

Which is my problem.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 11:17:08 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
There was no violent rape scene, they just beat her to death, partially removing her shirt in the process.

If you don't like The Second Rennasiance, don't watch it, but you should still see the rest of The Animatrix.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 11:26:28 pm »
Of course they are going to exaggerate, it is an ANIMATED movie, Possum.  Expressions have to be portrayed greater than usual so that the point is not and cannot be misinterpreted.  It is like why Mel Gibson portrayed the death of Jesus extremely; he was trying to show a clear and uncomprimising image and invoke a response from the viewer.  Any type of movie that wants to get a certain theme across will do it to an extreme, and anime often does it more often.   
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 11:31:17 pm »
Of course they are going to exaggerate, it is an ANIMATED movie, Possum.
And it makes me sick someone would even animate that !@#$%.

It is like why Mel Gibson portrayed the death of Jesus extremely; he was trying to show a clear and uncomprimising image and invoke a response from the viewer.
Ah, but you note the flashbacks in the movie, were all there to get across the point of what he was doing it FOR, which is why it was so powerful.

So you have Schindler's List and Schindler was a really great guy who saved some people, and all sorts of terrible things happened to the jews.  SO WHAT?  At least in Passion of the Christ it's in the purpose of letting the viewer know how much Christ loves them, enough to go through all the pain in the world.

The goal was for people to come out of that movie and want to be a better person.  The goal for Schindler's List was to show people how terrible the holocaust is (strait from Spielberg himself, and he wants it in every highschool in the nation), the purpose of the Animatrix is...

...you know... I can't think of anything other than it's a sick philosiphy being presented that they want provocative and perverted (why else would they have that orgy in Matrix Reloaded other than, it was a couple of hardcore nerds making it who wanted to show something explicit).

*gets all Matrix fans riled up*

Limey

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 11:40:21 pm »
The animatrix is supposed to give backround information for the matrix, and stories other than neo's showing how the matrix, the agents, and the real world affected other people.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 11:45:12 pm »
You just do not get it at all.  Of course it is provocative, because it provokes a response from the viewer.  It is only perverted because you think it is perverted; it provokes you to think it is perverted.  The world is not some Leave it to Beaver rerun, it is a real thing with real problems.  The movie took those problems and blew them up to bigger proportions to create an effect, one that everyone knows about. 

The purpose of the Animatrix is to show what would happen in an arrogant society that so happens to be lazy.  It shows beings being prosecuted, abused, overworked, raped, and generally mistreated.  The beings rise up and defeat their aggressors.  The beings go from the lowest beings to being the highest beings.  Dramatic effect, great movie. 

And of course it should make you sick, did you want it to make you happy?
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 12:23:32 am »
When I watch something I expect to really get something out of it.  If I wanted to watch a line of a whole bunch of terrible things happening, I'd join some gang or something retarded like that.  There's a difference between watching terrible things and watching the good emerge from terrible things.

Good does come of it.. Neo creates peace does he not? Its just part of a series.. it all ends well, but then if you know about Matrix online its not going that well :P.

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:44 am »
The animatrix is supposed to give backround information for the matrix, and stories other than neo's showing how the matrix, the agents, and the real world affected other people.

Still, when seeing The Second Renaissance you chose the robots side instantly. The humans dont seem so bad in the Matrix movies though.

TSR will !@#$% you up good if you see it. Its not a fun movie to watch.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43:23 am »

Good does come of it.. Neo creates peace does he not? Its just part of a series.. it all ends well, but then if you know about Matrix online its not going that well :P.

I'm talking about what the viewer gets out of it.  Not a fictional character <_<

You just do not get it at all.
No, I do.  I've heard all the arguments from my debates about Schindler's List.  And guess who studies film?  *points to self*

Of course it is provocative, because it provokes a response from the viewer.  It is only perverted because you think it is perverted; it provokes you to think it is perverted.  The world is not some Leave it to Beaver rerun, it is a real thing with real problems.  The movie took those problems and blew them up to bigger proportions to create an effect, one that everyone knows about. 
First of all: it's factually perverted by defintion.  Second, I love Leave it to Beaver.  That show pwns.  Third, if I wanted to watch a movie about life and the way things are...

...well, there's no movie that would show me that.  This is blown out of proportion, disgusting warfare that has no purpose in being shown other than provocation and perversion.

The purpose of the Animatrix is to show what would happen in an arrogant society that so happens to be lazy.  It shows beings being prosecuted, abused, overworked, raped, and generally mistreated.  The beings rise up and defeat their aggressors.  The beings go from the lowest beings to being the highest beings.  Dramatic effect, great movie. 
It's a piece of fantasy.  They present it as an alternate reality to help along the symbolism and thought process, but I doubt that the philosiphy is about modern politics.  Certainly some of it is, but I don't think that's what the film makers had in mind.

And of course it should make you sick, did you want it to make you happy?
All I got out of that piece of crap was feeling sick, disturbed, and a terrible feeling was present in the room after.  If a movie doesn't teach you something of value, or doesn't fulfill an entertainment purpose, then the movie is worth nothing to me.

It's the difference between the quality of "films" vs. the quality of "TV".  This crap was meant for some late night Sunday cartoon channel (say... CARTOON NETWORK aired this Sunday night's).

@ Kleaver: agreed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 77 queries.