Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microsoft looking into 'possible misuse' of XBLIG ratings  (Read 937 times)

Microsoft looking into 'possible misuse' of XBLI...
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:14:52 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-looking-into-possible-misuse-of-xblig-ratings-197544.phtml

As far as Xbox Live Indie Games are concerned, outside of what little word-of-mouth promotion a title receives, the only other real way awareness is raised is through the top-rated games section on the Xbox dashboard. It's, well, pretty crummy.

Unfortunately, the current system for rating games between one and five stars allows anyone with a free Xbox.com account to rate as they wish; even if they don't play the full game, the trial, or anything. This is causing problems for developers like Zeboyd Games, maker of Cthulhu Saves the World.

Long story short, XBLIG College Lacrosse: The Video Game asked fans on Facebook to rate the game highly, in order to inflate its position. Now, Zeboyd's title has mysteriously seen a slew of negative, position-dropping reviews out of the blue. It's alleged that the two are related, although this is clearly the sign of a bad system. Microsoft is "investigating a possible misuse of ratings."

Sad that it takes a story like this for action to be even potentially taken, but what else is new?

As a spare time 'garage indie dev' I'm always looking into more information on how to market my game when I finish it, so I have an idea of what kind of environment I have to work against to market it to the general public. Between Sony not having any system in place for 'garage' indie developers to submit content, Nintendo not accepting content from anyone without an office (Save the World of Goo developer to save face for PR), and Microsoft doing nothing to protect the interests of indie talent, its pretty vexing trying to jump over what's obviously still a very high barrier of entry. How do they expect indie developers to succeed when they allow crap made overnight onto their service next to high quality titles, bringing them down by association? And when anybody can rate any game whatever they want without even playing the demo? That's insulting, especially when you consider how much less exposure an indie title will receive in comparison to a AAA budget title. Every vote counts when you're drawing from a pool of 10 - 20 votes. And then in the past they've made blunders like hiding the Indie Game store behind some avatar crap, as if more people will see the games digging through 30 menus rather than having them up front.

Microsoft, what's your real aim for the indie channel? Are you trying to use it as a tool to scout talent for Rare? Because you certainly aren't doing a very good job of watching out for the little guy's interests. What do you guys think?

Discuss.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Re: Microsoft looking into 'possible misuse' of ...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 04:13:26 pm »
Eh, but Microsoft isn't the only one with a !@#$% system.  Yoyogames has the same problem.  Youtube has it.
Basically, anything that has reviews has it.  All you can do is leave it as it, leave it as is but investigate on a per incident basis, or drop it all together.

I think it should go by downloads.  Have into different catagories:
Downloads
 -Per Week
 -Per Monthly
 -Total

As far as getting into the market, Steam has always seemed like a decent place to pitch your game instead of the console developers.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Microsoft looking into 'possible misuse' of ...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:49:58 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
The thing is though YouTube has much more exposure than XBLIG, you're less likely to get screwed over by a group of kids deciding it'd be funny to mark your game low. And I'm not familiar with YoYo Games' system, do they sell GM games straight on their site?

Also Steam's much harder to get onto than XBLIG (Or WiiWare if you have an office for that matter) its not ideal to break out in unless you're somewhat established

I do agree they should have a sort tab by downloads though, it would help loads
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 43 queries.