Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please fix the front page  (Read 3835 times)

Please fix the front page
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
The main site is obviously busted for the moment, and working on the layout for my site I know that it takes time to fix these things.

Until then though, could we just get a redirect to zfgc.com/forum from zfgc.com? Its a pain in the butt having to type in /forum and I'm willing to bet its driving a few visitors away who don't know the manual URL
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Re: Please fix the front page
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:25:56 am »
Um...not many people have the same problem?  Mine auto switches to /forum after 1 second...  Using outdated Firefox on the desktop, updated Firefox on Laptop...both show the front page for a split second before redirecting to /forum.

Don't know what's wrong on your end.

EDIT: Just tested again to be sure.  Shows a fully loaded zfgc.com frontpage then automatically redirects to /forum.
Took an entire 2 seconds for the entire process to go through.

What browser are you using?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:27:54 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
The same thing happens to me. I'm using internet explorer or, sometimes, firefox.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:00:31 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
That's really strange. I use Firefox at home and it always works. I've tested this forum on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome so far. >_<.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:50:50 pm »
Walnut's right. On Firefox 10: http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6496/32247969.png

Interestingly, I also got my old ban message after testing this and had to delete my cookies to fix it. My favorites bar goes directly to the forums so I didn't catch this before.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »
Maybe it's a permissions error on my account? I was banned previously afterall. Either way I get an annoying PHP error instead of a redirect

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 11:58:51 pm »
I'll go into the old forum and undo some of the previous ban settings. Additionally though I occasionally am still seeing in the error log for this SMF 2.0 forum that people had errors entering their passwords (I increased the login limit from 3 to 5 too) and there are still recurring users that produce this error and don't bring it up at all - it's kind of unrelated but I think as something Jeod said too about the cookies.

thestig

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:49:52 am »
To be honest, 4Sword, I think the old site should be archived and moved out of the way. Its purpose just staying there was to provide an easy "revert" solution in case if 2.x went bad, right? None of the features from the 1.x era are in use on this forum and we've accommodated with that at this point. Well, at least, until you let the *cough*cmscomebackwhichmightneverhappen*cough*, then we won't have anything.

You know, leave the forums at its current URL  and just make .com a redirect indefinitely. Besides, having the old forum there is a security hazard. Imagine an exploit rising up on 1.x(which is very likely) and some jerk comes in and tries taking advantage of that? I don't know if it's such a good idea to leave the old forum up like that.

If accessibility is your concern, then I guess you could leave your e-mail open publicly(if it isn't already?)... Idk man. Just my two cents.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:58:15 am »
Here are the specific errors just in case you want to see them. I get these on multiple IP addresses so I don't know what the deal is, but the problem is annoying

Warning: require_once() [function.require-once]: Unable to access ../wwfan/new/system/application/helpers/css_helper.php in /srv/www/zfgc.com/public_html/old/Sources/Load.php(2105) : eval()'d code on line 221

Warning: require_once(../wwfan/new/system/application/helpers/css_helper.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/zfgc/public_html/old/Sources/Load.php(2105) : eval()'d code on line 221

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../wwfan/new/system/application/helpers/css_helper.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /home/zfgc/public_html/old/Sources/Load.php(2105) : eval()'d code on line 221

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:15:04 am »
  • Minalien
That error's what showed up on the home page when a ban was in place (trust me, I know this. ;3)
Edit: Specifically, it's because of the old home page's use of SSI with the old forum.

Basically what's happening is that the old forum system is being called up before the redirect. It's not really a browser issue, but the fact that a relic is taking up the old home page. Honestly, the old index.php should simply be replaced with a blank redirect file at this point, until the forums can either be moved or a new home page can be erected. ;/
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

thestig

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:59:02 am »
Or just disable public access to the old forums due to security concerns too. >_> The blank redirect should've been there since we went to 2.0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:15:19 am »
Or just disable public access to the old forums due to security concerns too. >_> The blank redirect should've been there since we went to 2.0
I think the problem with that is the other stuff such as the Examples/Graphics/Audio and such are tied to the original forum as well.  Removing the old forum could remove all those somewhat harder to find resources.
If it is the way I think it is, maybe I will get around to archiving everything to sticky topics to each respective section of the forums now.

I never thought of it until right now, but that could be the reason management hasn't removed the front page yet.  Just a matter of "getting to it" maybe?  I could start archiving as I suggested to see if that could help work the issue out.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

thestig

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:33:57 am »
I think the problem with that is the other stuff such as the Examples/Graphics/Audio and such are tied to the original forum as well.  Removing the old forum could remove all those somewhat harder to find resources.
If it is the way I think it is, maybe I will get around to archiving everything to sticky topics to each respective section of the forums now.

I never thought of it until right now, but that could be the reason management hasn't removed the front page yet.  Just a matter of "getting to it" maybe?  I could start archiving as I suggested to see if that could help work the issue out.
I don't get it? The resources section is unusable anyways. Windy did port it to SMF2, but it was never deployed. I don't think that was the issue at all. But then again, what do I know what goes on behind the scenes.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:11:54 am »

I don't get it? The resources section is unusable anyways. Windy did port it to SMF2, but it was never deployed. I don't think that was the issue at all. But then again, what do I know what goes on behind the scenes.

Actually it is all still there.  It is linked to beta.zfgc.com which the old smf was linked through as well.  Before the switch to 2.0, there was a switch maybe a year before that to beta.zfgc.com.  It was automatic and that is how we had a frontpage.  www.zfgc.com seems to be the same as beta.zfgc.com still is if you do not get the error.

You should check it out :)
  • Super Fan Gamers!

thestig

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:56 am »

Actually it is all still there.  It is linked to beta.zfgc.com which the old smf was linked through as well.  Before the switch to 2.0, there was a switch maybe a year before that to beta.zfgc.com.  It was automatic and that is how we had a frontpage.  www.zfgc.com seems to be the same as beta.zfgc.com still is if you do not get the error.

You should check it out :)
Ah!! Well, I'll be damned. So the site is still functional. And no, I really don't get the error. 4Sword knocked off my bans before we switched to SMF2, I believe. If we're still using the old system, then I don't see what the big deal is behind using Windy's SMF2 port for the time being until something is thought up?

I know this is taking the topic in another direction, so I'll just shut up now. :X
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 67 queries.

anything